• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Old BST Offers

Juanote

The sound of one hand fapping
I am curious about the ethics of a buyer reviving old B/S/T offers that have not been formally withdrawn. At what point is an old offer judged to have lapsed, and if conditions change, to be void in and of itself, or at a very minimum subject to changed terms at the discretion of the offering party? Or must the offer be formally withdrawn before it is void? Your input is appreciated as I admit to being somewhat confused about the issue, and see both sides.

My take:  If you see something that interests you and doesn't say "DONE!", send the dude a PM expressing your interest in their commodity and see what they have to say.

That's just what I would do, anyway...

Juanote said:
...or at a very minimum subject to changed terms at the discretion of the offering party?
What length of time has transpired, and what terms are being changed?

If I'm reading between the lines I think what you're asking is if there is an old B/S/T posting and the member that posted it no longer meets the 4 month rule (went inactive), is it ok to revive the B/S/T and attempt a transaction with that member that is no longer active.

If I'm way off base then I think you're going to need to provide more info as it seems like it would be a case by case basis kind of thing.

Bottom line to me is that if the member is inactive it's buyer beware at that point, and personally I wouldn't trade with anyone that I didn't know personally in that situation.

MilesMingusMonk said:
...or at a very minimum subject to changed terms at the discretion of the offering party?
Suppose it was inducememts or sweeteners that were being changed rather than the item being offered in itself, and that the elapsed dormant period was several months but less than a year.
MrAnderson41 said:
If I'm reading between the lines I think what you're asking is if there is an old B/S/T posting and the member that posted it no longer meets the 4 month rule (went inactive), is it ok to revive the B/S/T and attempt a transaction with that member that is no longer active.

If I'm way off base then I think you're going to need to provide more info as it seems like it would be a case by case basis kind of thing.

Bottom line to me is that if the member is inactive it's buyer beware at that point, and personally I wouldn't trade with anyone that I didn't know personally in that situation.
The offering party would be an active, eligible member in good standing.

This really isn't all that complicated.  Why not just ask the buyer or seller...??

BlindedByScience said:
This really isn't all that complicated.  Why not just ask the buyer or seller...??
I presume then that you consider an obviously dormant sale to be effectively withdrawn. My question is whether there is a rule of thumb there in terms of elapsed time to keep our sensibilities on the same page.

Juanote said:

I presume then that you consider an obviously dormant sale to be effectively withdrawn. My question is whether there is a rule of thumb there in terms of elapsed time to keep our sensibilities on the same page.

Nope.

Juanote said:
Suppose it was inducememts or sweeteners that were being changed rather than the item being offered in itself, and that the elapsed dormant period was several months but less than a year.
We participate in a hobby of combustibles within a community of active trading. I do not think it would be unreasonable to discover that a deal's "sweeteners" had changed in that length of time.

MilesMingusMonk said:
Suppose it was inducememts or sweeteners that were being changed rather than the item being offered in itself, and that the elapsed dormant period was several months but less than a year.We participate in a hobby of combustibles within a community of active trading. I do not think it would be unreasonable to discover that a deal's "sweeteners" had changed in that length of time.

I think this is a fair take, and I agree with it. To me, sweeteners are much less of a commitment compared to the offer in particular, when considered qualitatively in terms of overall value.

Thank you for your answers, gentlemen, they are quite useful.

grateful1 said:

Nope.

I suppose, really, that an offer of sale does not ethically bind a person to sell the item being offered, though it does obligate them to honor the terms of their offer should they choose to sell, within a reasonable time frame anyway.

This is starting to remind me of one of extremeXconcepts first posts... 

I truly respect and find useful just about everything you post here on the board, but really... what's with all the g/d lawyer-speak and ambiguous wording?  Just spit it out, man!  Exactly what the fook do you want to know?

kann said:

I truly respect and find useful just about everything you post here on the board, but really... what's with all the g/d lawyer-speak and ambiguous wording?  Just spit it out, man!  Exactly what the fook do you want to know?

Indeed! What he said!

Tim

MX said:

Indeed! What he said!

Tim

:laugh:  :laugh:

I was thinking something similar. This thread confused me beyond belief.

I still don't know if its something you want to sell or something you wanted to buy from someone else.  :sign:

Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like?

kann said:

I want to understand my obligations, which exist in relation to the obligations of others, and now I understand them. I have been helped to see that I made a mistake, and now I can consider appropriate restitution. If my language seems stiff, formal, or even vague, there may be a reason for that. But I apologize if anyone has been offended.

Tall Paul said:

Indeed! What he said!

Tim

:laugh:  :laugh:

I was thinking something similar. This thread confused me beyond belief.

I still don't know if its something you want to sell or something you wanted to buy from someone else.  :sign:

Correct.

I think what everyone is saying is it's really up to the buyer & seller to sort things out. If I'm selling something and offer a bonus stick to move the sale but it goes Dead for 6 months to a year before someone hits me up I feel no obligation in anyway to sell anything or include any extras at that point. If i still want to sell I would communicate whatever it is to the buyer up front so they can choose if they would like to continue with the transaction. That's the biggest thing here, say what you mean and mean what you say all while doing it up front so their is no confusion. Hope that helps. The thing to remember is its a hobby website and we are BOTL's not vendors.