• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Old Granddad 114

lbrief

The liquor store was out of my WT Rye yesterday so I picked up a Bottle of Old-Granddad 114 (the label claims that it uses a higher percentage of rye in the mash bill than other bourbons do, so I figured WTH).

Anyway, it tastes a hell of a lot like Booker's!! No I didn't try them side-by-side, (but I have been through 5 bottles of Booker's in the last 18+ mos.) I'm sure that right next to each other, there would be a difference (just from the mere fact that they are different proofs) but, the OGD 114 has all the sweet/spicy warmth of Booker's at less than half the price.

After thinking about it for a while, it doesn't come as that big a surprise (since I believe they both come right out of the same distillery). I just though it was a pleasant discovery that I'd share with the bourbon lovers on this board.

Now I'm going to go hide, so Beast can't bite my head off for comparing Bookers to rott-gut.  :D  

Does OGD have the same roundness of body that Bookers has?

"roundness"? I always thought that term was somewhat vague. The OGD had all the same full-bodied flavors as Bookers. And, just like Bookers, it fills your mouth with an unbelievable sweetness accompanied by an intensely warm heat (not to be confused with the harsh burn of cheap bourbon, but rather like the drink itself was actually heated).

If by roundness, you mean all the flavor plus all the smoothness of Bookers, then no. The OGD had some harsh edges, it could definitely stand another 2+ years in the barrel.

I was probably to controversial with the title of this post ". . .substitute for Bookers" (but hey, I wanted to get it read). There is no substitute for Bookers of course. But, if your dying for that unmistakable sweet warmth and you only have a $20 in your pocket (presumably because you just blew the other $20. on an Opus), then give the OGD 114 a try!