• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Olor Nicaragua

Saxjazzman

This thread will review:

Name: Olor Nicaragua (Robusto)
Size: 5.00 x 50
Wrapper: Ecuadorian Habana Dark Natural
Binder: NIC Habano
Filler: NIC Habano
MSRP: 25 cigars in a box for $125
Price Payed: $53 on auction
Stated Strength: Full
Comments: Even though this is a box and not a bundle, we have included it here because you can often get it at a significant discount on auction. This is a cigar put out by Famous in PA. under the direction of the Olivas family using their farms in Esteli, Condega, and Jalapa Valley, NIC. These cigars are recently purchased.

For original thread discussion see Start Up Thread

To keep it standard, we would rate the cigars in three categories.

A) Appearance--How the cigar looks, how the pre-light smell is, the wrapper, etc.

B) Taste---How is the taste? Spicy, strong, bland, airball, etc. How did the taste progress, etc.

C) Construction---How did the cigar perform in terms of draw, burn, ash, etc.

To rate the cigars we would use a number from 5 to 10, 5 being one you would not even give Fidel to smoke and ten being a damm good cigar. The final rating number would be determined by the following:

A + B + (1.5)C divided by 3.5. This is similar to how Cigar Magazine does it but it is a little different. I realize that this is not perfect and there may be better ways but this would work also. Thanks for the reviews!!

This cigar lit up nice and hot, with an very good initial draw. The flavor from this cigar led me to believe this was a medium strength, but in fact, is a full-bodied cigar with a smooth Ecuadorian Habano-seed wrapper. I will confess, this is one of the most flavorful cigars I've had in months! Nice and spicy, with a touch of tang...but not enough to dominate. Caramel and maple are detected throughout this very nice tasting cigar. What I was looking for at the right moment
This baby has TONS of smoke and a nice white ash. As a matter of fact, the only complaint I have is the very flaky ash. Be careful, cause the end might end up on your lap!

A) Appearance—Beautiful wrapper: Nothing bad to complain about here. (9)
B) Taste---Very nice tasting; changes were very dynamic and kept my pallet guessing with each draw. My idea of a great cigar. (9)
C) Construction---This cigar was well made internally leading to a great drawing cigar. (8)

Oh...man...now I'm excited! I was thinking about smoking these last just for that reason...I just assumed they might be really good.

I've had a couple of these and agree pretty much with Boone. If you can get them for $53. they're a hell of a deal.

Doc.

Thanks for the great review. Never tried one, but it's nice to know there are great smokes at a decent price available.

This cigar lit up nice and hot, with an very good initial draw. The flavor from this cigar led me to believe this was a medium strength, but in fact, is a full-bodied cigar with a smooth Ecuadorian Habano-seed wrapper. I will confess, this is one of the most flavorful cigars I've had in months! Nice and spicy, with a touch of tang...but not enough to dominate. Caramel and maple are detected throughout this very nice tasting cigar. What I was looking for at the right moment
This baby has TONS of smoke and a nice white ash. As a matter of fact, the only complaint I have is the very flaky ash. Be careful, cause the end might end up on your lap!

B) Taste---Very nice tasting; changes were very dynamic and kept my pallet guessing with each draw. My idea of a great cigar. (9)
C) Construction---This cigar was well made internally leading to a great drawing cigar. (8)

Great review!! Your ratings give this cigar a overall rating of 8.6

Great review!! Your ratings give this cigar a overall rating of 8.6
8.57142857142 :D

I've smoked a few of these now, and I figure it's time to lay it down.

8 - Appearance: Good appearance, nothing to complain about here. Just looking at these you'd think you're in for a good smoke. seams were smooth, veins were small.. Nice job!

5 - Taste: It started out not too bad, a tad spicy, but not annoyingly so, lots of tobacco flavor and a little bit of bitterness. After about 1/3rd this intensified gradually until it was unsmokable. The closest I ever got was to the 1/3rd mark before letting it burn out. Yuck! Way too spicy and bitter for my tastes.

8 - Construction: Draw was good, ash held on forever (check out my 2nd ashstand) and burned okay. Moderate tunnelling with one of three

Overall a 7.14, if it weren't for the taste you'd have a gem on your hands! If you like stronger smokes you might see way differently than I, also, with a little age? who knows?

Thanks to SJM again for the goods. I smoked 2 out of the 3 (more on why, later) and it is time to let it fly...

A. Appearance 7.5
Overall a good medium color wrapper with 2 big veins. Fairly well made but could almost be classified as a better 2nd. The prelight aroma is mild and very nice. Earthy with what I call the "horse poo" smell. Almost every "horse poo" cigar I've had has been great I might add. Prelight draw was fairly tight and I am worried...it is slightly spicy on the lips with pronounced horse poo. :p

B. Taste 6.5
The light-I scored and lifted the cap (thanks Wilkey for this method, it has become my favorite!!!) and torched away. This thing is HARSH. As SJM stated above these are recent purchases and I believe they are still way to young to be smoking. The harshness is almost cigarette harshness and irritating to the throat. The flavors of carmel and lightly spicy/peppery are evident with a hint of something that reminds me of camping. Good flavor wants to emerge but is hampered by its youngness. The flavor did not progress much IMO and I let it die in the final third.

C. Construction/Performance 7
The ash was a light gray, looking fairly firm and held out for 1 3/4 inches. The smoke volume was average to below average due to the draw being on the tight side. The burn was sharp only having problems where the large veins were. It did require 1 major touch up.

Score: A+B+1.5 x C/3.5=7
olornic.jpg

olorash.jpg

olorvein.jpg

olorfinal.jpg

Final thoughts:
Rather than wasting the 3rd cigar, I am going to let it sit for several months and try it again. I will amend this thread with any new findings. I think this could be a good cigar, but definately not without some age. I am thinking at least 6 months.

Low Cost Cigar Review
Cigar: Olor Nicaragua
Size: 5.00 x 50
Wrapper Leaf: Maduro
Vitola: Robusto
Handmade
Wrapper: Ecuadorian Habana Dark Natural
Binder: NIC Habano
Filler: NIC Habano

A: Appearance
This is a very good looking cigar. The wrapper is dark and although a little toothy in spots a very nice looking cigar. Appearance Rating = 8

B: Taste
The Pre-Light smell was very woody, I couldn’t determine exactly which flavors it presented. After cutting the cigar the pre-light draw was good but presented no real sensation other than a slight spice to the wrapper. When lit this cigar presented me with no real flavor other than a tobacco taste. A bland tobacco taste at that. This cigar was to me the epitome of what I don’t like about Non-Cuban Cigars. I found no reason to smoke this any longer than I had to in order to review it. I smoked two of these sticks and got no further than half way through it before chucking it. A true Yard Gar in my opinion and a bland one at that. Taste Rating=5

C: Construction
The construction is excellent. The roll is quite firm and the draw was excellent. The cigar is very well made and the Ash burned a paper white color while holding for almost two inches before falling off. The burn on these cigars was sharp and needed no corrections, However since I was only able to stand about half of each stick I smoked this is a partial assessment. Construction = 9

Final Score = 7.57

Well, After the Belinda this cigar was a disappointment. Considering how well made this cigar is I was surprised at how bland a smoke it was. I would not recommend these to anyone that likes a flavorful cigar. For me, there is no reason whatsoever to waste time smoking a stick like this. I am finding that this method of value rating a cigar is skewed though. Because this cigar was so well made the rating comes out higher than the rating I gave to the Belinda, a cigar I enjoyed MUCH more than this stick!

I might add that I am not reading any of the review previously posted on any of these cigars until after I have completed mine. I don't want to be swayed in my representing my opinion through osmosis. After reading the prior reviews I found it amusing how similar some of our opinions are on this stick!

Gentlemen, these are some great reviews, pictures and comments. Just reading them is an education. It is interesting, as mrtapes suggested, the reviews on the cigars are very similar. You gents have a great palate. What do they say, great minds think taste alike! :D Keep the great reviews coming!! :thumbs: