• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

One last coolidor question

tschoon

Putting together the coolidor.
1. For shelves, do they have to be Spanish cedar or can they be another wood and/or another type of material such as metal.
2. Does the Spanish cedar lining have to cover the entire area and be sealed with something like aquarium sealer or just random for absorption?
3. I know I said two, I lied!! Where can one find Spanish cedar? Our little lumber store just looked at me funny.

Thanks all. Should have listened. a 50, 130 & 300 and still need room.

tschoon
i use 4 coolers and never put anything in em...just the slices of cedar dividers from the boxes.dont bother with shelves or cedar just buy it and start using it to store boxes.

derrek :)

I am going to buy a cooler this week to build my first coolidor. I am going all out on this baby!

I wouldn't use any wood other than Spanish Cedar in the coolidor. As for a non wood material I wouldn't think it would matter but I'm no expert.

Here is a link that was posted a while back by a fellow CPer:
Cedar

Hope this helps

Thanks. Great site for ordering cedar. Best I have run across.

Thanks again

I use peg board for shelves, No cedar, Climmax "Armor" & a digital hydro in 1 coolerdor and the other 2 have no shelves but the same humidification. You don't need to spend the cash on cedar to line the coolers; your boxes will do fine. ;)

I'm using an old refrigerator and with all the boxes in there, it smells like it's lined with cedar when it's not.

Also, the refrigerator (or in your case a cooler) can easily revert back to its original purpose (BEER) if you decide to say, buy one or Arlin's humis :D

So, as Joe and SD said, I'd pass on the cedar even though bargainhumi's deal is pretty good but I don't think it's necessary.

1. For shelves, do they have to be Spanish cedar or can they be another wood and/or another type of material such as metal.
The shelves can be made of any material you choose BUT... if you're using wood shelves be careful that they don't give off a strong aroma. Spanish cedar would by far be your best choice for shelves but it wouldn't be the cheapest option. You could use a mild smelling mahogany or some neutral smelling wood. I'm considering using 3/8" or 1/2 Spanish cedar for shelves but the quote I got from a custom woodworker by my office is a bit high... but it would be awesome!

A buddy of mine uses a wire type shelf. He bought the plastic covered wire grids that you can use to make cubes for storage... he just took a pair of wire cutters and trimmed them to fit... voila... instant shelves! And to prevent scratching to the cooler walls he just bought some tiny plastic caps to but over the exposed ends of the wire.

2. Does the Spanish cedar lining have to cover the entire area and be sealed with something like aquarium sealer or just random for absorption?
No. If you're putting boxes in the Igloodor you really don't need cedar lining. The wooden boxes will do the job of helping to hold the RH in the cooler. The more boxes you can pack into the cooler the better as you'll have a more constant environment and you'll also notice that the RH will stabilize quicker after you open the door.

3. I know I said two, I lied!! Where can one find Spanish cedar? Our little lumber store just looked at me funny.
I dunno. I lucked out in that the woodworker close by my office has a huge chunk of it and if I need any he told me he can mill off whatever I need. I'm sure the other Bruddahs can help you with an online source for spanish cedar.

Aloha,

Wade

I woudln't go for shelves - they just take up space. As long as you have boxes to throw everything in, just go with piling your boxes upon boxes. If you do decide you want shelves you (among the other things listed below) also have to be careful that the wood you choose won't rot/mold with the high humidity - wire grid is a cheap & safe way to go.

to find a local store with spanish cedar, you need to look for a 'hardwood' store. Just a local hardware store wouldn't normally have it. Most cities have a specialty store for woodworkers. These stores have an assortment of hardwoods, and specialty woods like...spanish cedar. I live in the St. Charles, MO area (just west of St. Louis), and the store chain in my area is called...St. Charles Hardwood. They also have lots of woodworking plans for sale. It is usually interesting to see if they have humidor, or jewelry box plans...

I agree to a certain degree that shelves do take up space but it's not all that fun unpacking a 150 Qt Igloodor when you want to get at the box on the very bottom... LOL! ??? I still haven't decided if I'm going to do the SC shelves but only because of the price. It would certainly make it easier to organize the Igloodor and to access cigars!

Aloha,

Wade

Well I did it. I bought a 4 1/2'x2'x2' used upright freezer today for $10. The compresser went out and the guy at the used appliance store did not want to replace it. He is going to remove the freezer and piping and I will pick it up tomorrow. Great door seal, nice appearance and NO ODOR!! It even has a lock.

Thanks to gatormg's suggestion, I am getting custom cut Spanish cedar for $29.99 I decided to go with the cedar just because!! I will take eveyone else's suggestion to heart. I guess my only dilima at this point is whether or not to use crystals vs 50/50.

I will keep everyone abreast of the progress and work on getting it filled as soon as I get the RH adjusted.

Haven't told my wife yet....that's the hard part!!!!! Think she will notice it in my home office???????????

This has already been said enough time's, but here goes my ¢.02.

When I built my cooler'dor, I had all these designs in mind, and I wanted shelve's, and cedar lining, and went out and got spansh cedar planks and cut them to fit and all that... hooey. Here is the bottom line- Go to your local cigar shop, ask for some of the cedar deviding sheets that come in the boxes- My local shop was glad to give me a bunch of them. Use those... They're free. Next, forget shelves... You're not building a cabinet, you want it for storage of cigars, and you'll soon see- all you're ever gonna keep in there are boxes! You want to put singles in there you say? Put them in (you guessed it) BOXES. It makes it easier to navigate through, holds the aroma, and RH (the boxes do), and thats what you want.

I have a tiny element in mine, and a digital hygro from walmart ($9.99?) and only need to add water about 2-3 a year (MAYBE)... The cooler's are as close to air tight as you can get- way more so than a desktop humidor, so you'll find your humidity is kept pretty well in there vs a desktop.

Don't waste the extra money on frilly crap for the inside- spend your money on the stuff that really needs to be inside- CIGARS.

-Toaster

Great job Toaster!!!

As you said, I get all the pleasant aroma I need out of the boxes I keep in the refrigerdor.

And, I forgot to mention here but I've posted before USE VERN'S BEADS!! Very low maintenance (ya hardly ever have to add water) and WOW do they work great.

I am using the cedar from old boxes in my fridgedor. Granted, if you store mostly boxes, then you could probably forgoe this step. But seing as how I also smoke bundled cigars :0 I am slowly adding small amounts of cedar. Just use the dividers as recommended. Aplly them to your freezer with velcro tape and you are good to go.

Emo

just another idea to throw out there...

I did this at my old house, and will do it again...

I'm finishing my basement, and next to the bar I'm going to build some cabinets to store dishes, etc. One extra cabinet will be for, you guessed it...cigars. All you have to do is seal the inside somehow. I line it with styrofoam, and caulk. Let this sit open for a few days to get rid of the 'fresh caulk' odor. Then I went to the local woodworking store, and bought some spanish cedar boards. I lined the whole cabinet with spanish cedar (over the styrofoam). It was easy to put shelves in. A digital hygrometer, and some beads later, and you have one hell of a cigar cabinet...one that is out of the way, and looks very nice.

coventrycat86 said:
And, I forgot to mention here but I've posted before USE VERN'S BEADS!! Very low maintenance (ya hardly ever have to add water) and WOW do they work great.
Are those the clear "jelly" beads, the ones you soak in water and the swell up- Hydroponics (sp?) I think they call it?

I tried those, they are SUPER cheap, like $4 a bag, but I never could find anything worthy of holding the soaked beads... I tried a glass tube (from a cigar) and put a little "lace" net type stuff over the end with a rubber band, that didn't work too well..

If these are the beads in question, what do you guy's keep them in? (just curious)

-Toaster

Toaster said:
coventrycat86 said:
Are those the clear "jelly" beads, the ones you soak in water and the swell up- Hydroponics (sp?) I think they call it?

I tried those, they are SUPER cheap, like $4 a bag, but I never could find anything worthy of holding the soaked beads... I tried a glass tube (from a cigar) and put a little "lace" net type stuff over the end with a rubber band, that didn't work too well..

If these are the beads in question, what do you guy's keep them in? (just curious)

-Toaster
The beads referred to by CC are found HERE

And as CC says, they are GREAT!