• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Opinions on pre-fabricated buidlings

Cparker

My dogs don't smoke
I am at a point where renting is growing weary, but am not inclined to jump into the traditional mortgage swim.

I have found a decent lot that is affordable, and would like to possible build a simple, comfortable, and affordable abode.

I have researched homes made from shipping containers, other non-traditional building methods, but the costs savings never seem to appear. I find this as well with prefabricated homes from Lindall. I also now see that Morgan, know for buidling shops and barns, has structures that serve as living quarters as well.

One problem I have come across is the cost of pre-fab construction does not seem to be significanlty less than stick built, and I am not sure of the quality. There is also the possbile stigma of a prefabricated structure for resale.

I am self employed, so getting a traditonal mortgage is difficult, and will be near impossible for some of these ideas.

While I accept that purchasing an existing house that is in need of repair may be the cheapest per square foot cost, I am uncomfortable with "no see ums" and "gotchas" that can arise with buying a fixer upper, and generally the location of these houses does not work for me where I live.

Does anyone here have any experience on this topic they can share ? For reference, the heated square foot living space would not be more thatn 1500 sq. ft. Ideally, it would be a loft living quarters above a hobby garage/home cigar lounge.

I am in metro Atlanta, so if I can get a cost effective choice for a home, it may also work for a hobby farm in the north Georgia mountains as well.

Thanks

Cparker

My step-son's dad built a "shop" with living quarters in it.  I think their living square feet is around 1000 and the garage is probably 2-3 times that.  Honestly, if I were a single guy and could find a lot or small acreage, I'd go this route as well.  

Have you seen the tiny house movement?  People are building small livable homes on trailers, that can be moved from location to location.  Some are really nicely done.  Check that out as well.

Even if you purchase a new home, there can be as you said, no see 'ems.  Around here there are a lot of Pole Barns that incorporate living space and they are very nice.  If I were younger, I would build a huge one and commit a portion of it to living space.

I've put 10 different moduler homes together in the past thirty years. Like everything, you get what you pay for. Some were crap and some were very impressive. There's a little savings versus stick building but when you stick build it you can limit what gets finished and what doesn't and I think thats a bigger savings. Buying a moduler is a compete package, from the toilets to the lights, its all being delivered at one time.  

broblues said:
Even if you purchase a new home, there can be as you said, no see 'ems.  Around here there are a lot of Pole Barns that incorporate living space and they are very nice.  If I were younger, I would build a huge one and commit a portion of it to living space.

^ pull barns and the name escapes me even while googling but here in WI up north a lot of people are buying army surplus storage buildings. The name of said buildings escape me but they basically look like someone took a big metal tube and cut it in half then stuck it in the ground and added 2 walls. They usually require reassembly but I heard they are easy to insulate and make livable. I would be weary or prebuild stick homes though. A lot of damage can be done during transport.

Edit to add: I've heard them called ammo bunkers and look something like this but in various sizes with walls.

storage-structures.jpg

Mrepp said:

^ pull barns and the name escapes me even while googling but here in WI up north a lot of people are buying army surplus storage buildings. The name of said buildings escape me but they basically look like someone took a big metal tube and cut it in half then stuck it in the ground and added 2 walls. They usually require reassembly but I heard they are easy to insulate and make livable. I would be weary or prebuild stick homes though. A lot of damage can be done during transport.

Edit to add: I've heard them called ammo bunkers and look something like this but in various sizes with walls.

storage-structures.jpg

Quonset Huts.......???

I'm a licensed home inspector by trade nowadays and will start off with whatever you buy, get a home inspection done. My reports are typically 18 -20 pages long, and often 10 pages long on a brand new, never lived in stick built house. Even the best builders make mistakes, and you don't want to be left holding the bag when you go to sell.

Stay away from double wides. Resale value sucks!

Modular homes are stick built inside a climate controlled environment, usually making them free of the floor, stair, and other creaks/quirks that other stick built houses have that are built out in the elements.
But, my personal preference would be to stay away from modulars built in the 90's. They look good, but the windows are often cheap, the tubs and showers are cheap, and the plumbing is often polybutylene which is prone to systematic leaks, etc.
Newer modulars have real drywall instead of the cheap looking pre wallpaper paneling used in the 90's as well...... A turn off to a lot of prospective buyers.
Other than that, you are getting something just as good as stick built if buying recent construction.

To respectfully disagree with Mark. I have never seen damage done to them when inspecting. I've heard of it happening to windows and siding trying to get them on the lot, but of course that is not the responsibility of the purchaser.

Of course you can't go wrong with stick built on site. Nothing wrong with building a garage with a small apartment over it. Just maybe make sure you have enough property and the option to build a house next to it down the road if your situation changes and you want more space.

I respect your opinion and vocation John but I've heard of structure issues during transport and settling issues. The current home I'm renting was actually relocated and we are having settling issues as well as hearing it from others who I know build houses. Perhaps it's a location thing. WI roads are horrible as well as the ground loves to shift and settle especially with our winters.

Are you talking about a relocated house, or a modular.

I have seen structural damage to relocated houses such as framing and broken roof trusses.

ETA:
Modular homes have things in place to allow for transport such as hinged roof trusses, and open sheet rock joints. The foundation is a non issue as it is done on site.
Any house will have settlement. How much is different from house to house. Concrete shrinks and pulls against itself when it cures over time. To see cracks in the walls above door frames is common in that process.

It's a problem when one sees displacement in those vertical foundation cracks, or door frames are so out of square that they will not close. Things like cracked glass in a window with no evidence of something striking it.

Thanks for all the responses.

Fully agree on the no see ums in new houses, and the value of home inspections.

I am not looking to relocate an existing house, nor considering a mobile home.

My thought is/was that, it would seem, that pre-fabricated buildings, like a Morton or Lindall homes, would be less expensive based on pre-existing plans, understood costs of construction, and might be a "safer" way to build a low cost living quarters vs. hiring a general contactor and building a stick built house. My expectatoin being that I should be able to save at least 20% on cost (GC fee), and perhaps have something that when priced out would actually come in at or near the price estimated.

I looked at Lindall, and while they had some really cool designs, the price was around $200 a sq. ft, which surprised the heck out of me for a pre-fab plan.
I have not checked with Morton homes, but they do seem to follow the "pole barn with living quarters" model which might suit me well. But again, I would expect a Morton building to be significantly less expensive than if I hired a GC to build a pole barn with living quaters, and quicker.

But, that's why I posted this question as it may be that my expectation is wrong.

Cparker

I don't have any expertise in homebuilding but I would suggest that before you buy any lot, with the expectation of building on it, that you check the neighborhood covenants and the city zoning code for restrictions.