• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Opus X Black Orchid from the CFCF 2010 box...

Mr Peat

Rich Perelman, "Loren you have a Godlike Presence.
Friday, 17th Dec 2010 CFCF 2010 Opus X Black Orchid

DSCF0890.jpg

Above picture: On the left is the Opus X Princessa D and on the right is the Opus X Black Orchid.

I inspected the cigar after taking some photos and the cigar is in perfect shape. No visual flaws at all. I cut the Cuban flower off at 4:10pm. I then placed the cigar in my mouth so I could test the draw and its great. The first taste I detected off the wrapper was a raspberry truffle.

Before I fire it up, I wanted to say this is the same cigar as the Opus X Princessa D from the CFCF 2008 fun box. Only difference is it has a AF 13 wrapper on it. Anyone that has visited Casa Fuente probably saw it on the shelf. Also the Opus X Princessa D made Brad aka Smokyballs throw in the white flag of surrender. I was expecting this cigar to be a power house with a little spiciness added in for bonus. I've smoked the AF 13 and wasn't impressed with it. Neither was Brad. The 3rd one I bombed to a member who I'm sure hasn't smoked it. Now that this is out of the way, its time to fire this bad boy up.

DSCF0899.jpg

Ok...one last sniff of the wrapper before firing it up. I can still smell the candied raspberry on the wrapper. I lit it up at 4:24pm and I can tell already taste the strength on this beast. I exhaled some smoke out of the nasal passage at 4:26pm. Yep...this will be a freaking freight train pimp rolling my corpse. Just inhaling some smoke after a puff is like sitting in a 10' x 10' shed with a bunch of cigar smokers a LFD Outlaw 2006 cigar. Its freaking potent.

I'm doing this review while sitting in my CR-V. Time for the first ash at 4:34pm. Just slowly took some smoke in the nasal passage at 4:35pm. Oh this smoke will rattle the ole sphincter its that strong. The guys at my last herf in Missouri got a chance to try the Princessa D so they will know exactly what I am talking about. There is a slight woody note built upon pepper back bone. So far to date, you can not mistake the strength of the Princessa D nor the Black Orchid.

Time to ash again at 4:39pm. The nicotine buzz has come out of no where to bitch slap me upside he head. My lungs still burn from the smoke I just inhaled. My face looked like I'd fallen asleep in the sun while staying out in Death Valley for a day.

DSCF0903.jpg

At 4:42pm, my tongue feels like I just licked a peppercorn stick. Trying to detect any other flavor in now impossible due to the strength of the cigar. Its like a Opus X Chili Pepper on steroids. I've come to the conclusion this is the cigar you take camping to kill off all the mosquitoes in the vicinity of the camp site. There is no doubt in my mind about this one.

Time to ash again at 4:46pm. Since the accidental inhale of smoke, I've actually started to wheeze a little. I'm not joking when I say this. I finally took the small 2010 band off at 5:15pm and then ashed at 5:17pm. A little smoke went into the lungs which caused me to cough up a lung. I talked to Tony aka Opus XKC on the phone so the cigar rested a little.

The peppercorn taste is back at 5;19pm. I could taste it on the lips and smell it in the smoke. The big band came off at 5:20pm and time for a minor correction. Also time to ash the cigar at 5:22pm.

Inhaled some smoke again at 5:24pm on accident. For the strength of the cigar, its not a bad nicotine buzz so far. I'm thinking this cigar could age 20 years and still kick your ass. Time to ash at 5:28pm. I'm listening to the Oldies station while still relaxing in the CR-V.

Lips started to tingle pretty good at 5:30pm. The draw is great and plenty of smoke off each puff which means the peppery notes came out once again. A pretty good head rush as well. Another mild correction at 5:32pm. The smoke is still pretty cool in the mouth.

DSCF0907.jpg

Ashed again at 5:34pm. If you had a new car, this would neutralize the new car smell for awhile. Side note we took 2 Casa Fuente Churchills and broke in OpusXKC's car this way. :laugh: I knocked the last ash of the cigar at 5:36pm. Other than the strength increasing, not much else can be detected. The strength is like an avalanche coming down a mountain side. The cigar is picking up strength the closer I get to the nub. The cigar nub is getting pretty damn hot holding it at this point. I finished off at 5:42pm and reminded me of the Amazonia Pipe Tobacco I had. Smoke this with caution and only after a heavy meal since its pretty damn strong. Its kinda scary that I say this cigar is that strong. I'd give this a good 90 points out of a 100 scale. I just wished there was a little more going on other than the strength.

Rest of the pictures located here: http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a18/Mr_Peat/CFCF%202010%20Fun%20Box/

Great review, as always, Loren! Sounds like its not for the faint of heart.

So this is a cigar that is stronger than the Princessa D. I am both scared and intrigued.

Nice review, Loren.

Great pic comparing the two.

So this is a cigar that is stronger than the Princessa D. I am both scared and intrigued.

You should be scared. I had a full stomach when I smoked this one and it still gave me one hell of a nicotine buzz. I had been up like 24 hours when I smoked the Black Orchid. I was up another 16+ hours after smoking this cigar. I love a good strong cigar but its nice when you can taste other things going on with it. Even if it is a subtle hint. The cigar nub was a good one. I still enjoyed the cigar. Not as good as the Opus X Scorpio Maduro since it is balanced. :D

I can't believe you smoked that in your car. Your parked car. That's fng hilarious.

I can't believe you smoked that in your car. Your parked car. That's fng hilarious.

I smoked the Opus X Scorpio Maduro in the car as well. I can't smoke in the apartment and with the 60" tv my mom purchased for her boyfriend, I can't move my chair out till this tv is gone on X-mas day. Thus the sitting in the car smoking a cigar. Plus with the frequent numbness occurring in my feet for most of the day, I need to sit down so I don't fall. :p

Loren, nice review. I always enjoy reading and watching you put fire to rare shit.

Sounds way too spicy for a 90 pt. cigar. Great experience none the less.

So are you able to find these cigars.
Yeah if you have deep enough pockets and know where to look.
What's a fun box go for Loren? $750-$850 for 22 cigars?

For now they are setting at $950 per CFCF 22 count box. Yeah, a little expensive and definitely need some deep pockets when purchasing them. This year's box they seem kinda mild and lack the traditional raspberry taste. :(

So are you able to find these cigars.
Yeah if you have deep enough pockets and know where to look.
What's a fun box go for Loren? $750-$850 for 22 cigars?

For now they are setting at $950 per CFCF 22 count box. Yeah, a little expensive and definitely need some deep pockets when purchasing them. This year's box they seem kinda mild and lack the traditional raspberry taste. :(

Wow that is a nice price tag. I have never heard of them, but now I know.

Wow that is a nice price tag. I have never heard of them, but now I know.

http://www.prometheuskkp.com/products/ffox/ffox-cfcf.htm

The cigars I review come from these little boxes. The last couple of years they have gotten pretty good but the taste of them is becoming unique from the prior years.