• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Opus X Scorpio Maduro from the CFCF 2010 box...

Mr Peat

Rich Perelman, "Loren you have a Godlike Presence.
CFCF Opus X Scorpio Maduro 2010

DSCF0913.jpg

21st Dec 2010

I inspected the cigar and the wrapper already feels like sand paper in spots on the wrapper. I cut the cigar at 5:05pm and the initial puffs is going to produce a lot of smoke. I did this before lighting the cigar. Also the wrappers seems to be strong. I lit the cigar at 5:15pm and wowza!!! Strong and lots of peppery notes right off the bat. I exhaled some smoke out of my nasal passage at 5:17pm. My impression is its a young cigar and the smoke was mild passing through the nasal passage. It feels like I just took a mild sniff of fresh, ground peppercorn. This cigar reminds me of taking a bite of a Peppercorn Steak. I inhaled some smoke at 5:21pm and its unique. Exhaling the smoke out of the nose leaves a burning feeling like if you just smelled some fresh grounded peppercorn. So far I love this cigar. It takes the regular Opus X Scorpio and puts it into a new playing field with the maduro wrapper on it. I record this impression at 5:24pm which is the first time I ashed the cigar.

DSCF0916.jpg

So far a well balanced cigar with the hints of pepper. The smoke is cool in the mouth and the draw is fantastic. Hell, the burn is great. There is another flavor going on that I can't identify in the smoke at 5:27pm. With the pepper back bone of the cigar, its hard for me to put the taste into words. For some reason I had the impression of a hint of sherry at 5:29pm. That is the thought that crossed my mind at least. At 5:32pm I have decided I want a few hundred of these cigars to put in my humidor. Its one of the best refined Opus X to come straight out of the CFCF boxes since I started purchasing them on a regular basis since 2008.

DSCF0918.jpg

Time to ash at 5:32pm. The Fuente Family hit a Grand Slame with this cigar. So far I'd call this a full bodied cigar with a balanced pepper back bone which is picked up after blowing out the smoke. For a strange moment at 5:35pm I picked up like a Pina Colada taste. I know its od, but that is what the smoke smelled like. I'd say a semi-sweet taste at 5:37pm that I detected in the smoke. So far I can't place my finger on what the sweet taste reminds me of. Other than the tobacco in the cigar. Whatever it is, its working pretty good.

DSCF0920.jpg

Time to ash at 5:39pm. A hint of pepper once again. I ashed at 5:46pm. The smoke is getting a little stronger when smelling the smoke. I just exhaled some smoke through the nasal passage at 5:49pm and its definitely picked up in strength. I took the small 2010 band off at 5:50pm. I slid it off and no damage to the wrapper. I ashed again at 5:51pm and got some smoke in the eyes so they are watering a little. Damn glasses. :laugh: Tme to ash again at 5:58pm. Not much has changed in the taste other than the smoke is getting stronger. I'm getting a little nicotine buzz as well. Still a great draw, burn and plenty of smoke off each puff. Getting close for the Opus X band to come off.

DSCF0921.jpg

I slid the big band off at 6:02pm and I ashed at this time. This is probably the best cigar straight out of the CFCF box. I will see how it changes over time since I will be picking up a few more boxes to sit on. I'm still entertaining the idea of doing a massive CFCF cigar review of the 2008, 2009, and 2010 box while traveling abroad. Back to the review. The strength is definitely here as I got up and had a little rush from the nicotine. As much as I would love to see these produced more, I know the Quality would suffer. This is something I would not want to see so I know I will only have a couple in the collection. But I will give them a home if no one wants to smoke theirs. :D Now I am starting to get hungry.

DSCF0923.jpg

At 6:09pm, the strength is getting more as I approach the nub. I've already noted what the flavor is like and not much has changed in that department other than the strength. Time to ash at 6:09pm. I did notice a small channel in the filler. Nothing that will hurt the cigar burn at all. Gotta love the nicotine buzz I have right now. I'm sitting in the back of the Honda CR-V smoking this cigar while my Android phone is playing some Russian music. With the good tunesm great cigar and a wonderful day one could say this is a perfect day of cigar smoking. No worries in the world at this moment for me. Only thing that would made this experience so much better is if I was herfing with my friends up on KC.

DSCF0926.jpg

Time to ash again at 6;16pm. My lips have started to tingle and my head is swimming in a sea of nicotine. Again, no changes in the cigar but the strength. I'm down to the last 1" of the cigar and wondering how far I will take the nub. The pepper notes is more pronounced at 6:21pm and my throat is feeling it now. I ashed once again at 6:22 and the small channel is back. The cigar started to get pretty hot trying to hold the last 1/4". The smoke started to get pretty hot in the mouth so I tossed it at 6:29pm. My impression of this cigar is that it will be hard to beat this one for now. I'd give this a 100 out of 100 points. Everything was perfect and hit home for me. I'm sure the nicotine buzz could have been avoided if I would have ate before I smoked this cigar.

DSCF0927.jpg

Excellent review Loren! Enjoying a wonderful cigar, while listening to music is a great way to unwind.

I will have to search for one of these as my mouth is watering after this great review. :thumbs:

This is pure bliss right here!

DSCF0927.jpg

I wonder if Casa Fuente will have any of these? :)

-Jimmy

Excellent review as usual Loren, 100 out of 100!?! WOW I think that's the first one of those I have seen from you! :cool: Great Pic's too! Thanks!

Great review Loren. It's still cool to watch and read you put fire to the rarities. I actually smoked a 2006 Don Carlos Edicion de Anniversario on New Years Eve and would give it a 95/100.

Hell yes Loren! Im going to have to torch one here in the next few days.

Glad everyone likes the review. Since I have smoked all the new sticks I want out of the CFCF 2010 box, I can concentrate on finishing the Official Review of the CFCF 2009 box. I do have a busy week so I don't know if I will get one done this week. A couple of good days for weather but I have to pick up Pop since he flies into Houston on the 5th.

Excellent review as usual Loren, 100 out of 100!?! WOW I think that's the first one of those I have seen from you! :cool: Great Pic's too! Thanks!

I have given the Opus X LBMF aka Little Bad Mother F***er from the CFCF 2005 a score of 100. Its rare but a couple have achieved it in my eyes. Most of the time they aren't aged so the Official Review in how they age over time will probably be done at the 5 year mark for said box. Starting with the CFCF 2008 box naturally. I didn't pick up any more from 2005 to 2007.

Very cool to see someone actually smoke these cigars... even better when you write a review. Great review!

I think I started to feel the nicotine halfway through your review.

Very cool to see someone actually smoke these cigars... even better when you write a review. Great review!

Since you haven't been on the board long, take a peek at the pinned topics in the Review section. You will see my fun little thread dedicated to smoking the cigars from the CFCF boxes. The Black Orchid and Scorpio Maduro isn't in that thread since its the first time I got a chance to smoke them. I will do a Official review later on down the road. Some collect fun cigars to sit and wait for the special moment, I collect fun cigars with the sole purpose of firing it at any given day. It depends on what mood I am in. :D

just saw your review. I am about to get one of these and I was wondering what others thought. Great to see your thoughts. I can't wait to sit down and smoke this wonderful cigar in the next day or two.

just saw your review. I am about to get one of these and I was wondering what others thought. Great to see your thoughts. I can't wait to sit down and smoke this wonderful cigar in the next day or two.
Not sure where the cigar is coming from, but it is probably a good idea to let it sit in your humi for a bit if you're able to resist the temptation.

Also, take the time to drop by the Introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself. There is a ton of knowledge on these pages, but please be sure to read the rules which govern this great community. Happy hunting and welcome.

Great review, pic's and the 100 out of 100! Sweet!

Thanks for the review Loren. My local B&M gifted me one. This will be one of my holiday smokes. :)

I don't know what's cooler.... That Scorpio Maduro, or that bad ass beard !?!
Nice review...