• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Opus's keep going out

JBL11183

Lurker
I feel like everytime I smoke an opus it goes out so quickly. I keep all my sticks between 65-67 RH and I'm a fairly fast smoker. I tend to smoke the smaller vitolas of the Opus line and I feel like I spend half the time smoking them I puffing like a mad man to keep it lit or relighting it. I can't remember the last opus I didn't have to relight five times... Anyone else experiencing this?

I used to have the issue with Opus. I actually leave mine out for a day before smoking.

I've never experienced any burn issues with my Opus, but I also keep them at 64%-66%.

Its a trap!

Actually, I never have a problem with relighting smaller Opus. Id say try dry boxing them a day before.

Its no secret I smoke a lot of Opus and never have that problem. Unless I'm talking and get distracted. Otherwise my Opus never go out till I toss the nub.

I've been smoking recent issue petite lanceros and have been having the same problem.

Doc.

A hypothesis:

To keep this simple, I am going to use three people in three different locations in an attempt to illustrate a thought:

Alan (Lilbastge)- - - - - Minnesota (Saginaw)

Bill (Humidor Minister)- - - - - Arizona (Tuscon)

Jon (Souldog)- - - - - California (I used LA)

They all receive a box of Fuente 8-5-8 (and for the sake of this conversation, all components are equal at this time), they place them in their humi at whatever their preferred humidity may be, but we will place the range at 65 - 70% while in the humi.

Are all external forces canceled out while in the humi?, we will say yes. Nothing changes until we select our cigar (or cigars for the day). Once they leave the humidor, the surroundings become available for the next part of this discussion. Those four components are cold, heat, humidity and barometric pressure.

What happens to tobacco when its environment changes and over what period of time? No, I don't know, but have thought about is more so when I see a post like this one. We keep it in a humidor to surround it with humidity and controlled temperature. When we remove it you would wonder how long it takes the surroundings to begin to change the physical attributes of the tobacco.

The temp/humidity readings for today at 11:45 CST are the following: Alan (24-83%), Bill (49-48%), Jon (70-23%).

If a cigar breathes while in the humidor, it is reasonable to postulate that it continues to breathe when brought outside of it. How fast does this happen, what is the rate of absorption? What happens when you factor in air conditioning or the furnace running? I again do not know; but my thought and question still remain; how does this effect the tobacco (humidity level) of the tobacco, hence, the burn?

These are my personal thoughts, not meant to offend anyone or state anything more than food for more thought, or perhaps a comment from a BOTL that knows how a leaf reacts under specific conditions.

Thank you all for your patience if you read this.

I had this issue with some Opus I bought off someone way back in the day. They just wouldn't stay lit, and also did NOT talk like Opus that I know now! I've since come to discover that they were sent to me super over-humidified, hence the issues staying lit and tasting like charred meat and not Opus Xs. I smoked an Opus that I knew was over humidified (looking at the guy's humidor controls etc.) and had the same issues. But yeah, you may want to check the accuracy of your hygrometer?
Chris

I had this issue with some Opus I bought off someone way back in the day. They just wouldn't stay lit, and also did NOT Talk like Opus that I know now! I've since come to discover that they were sent to me super over-humidified, hence the issues staying lit and tasting like charred meat and not Opus Xs. I smoked an Opus that I knew was over humidified (looking at the guy's humidor controls etc.) and had the same issues. But yeah, you may want to check the accuracy of your hygrometer?
Chris

I tell ya Chris.I've been pretty drunk before but my cigars have yet to talk to me. :laugh:

I had this issue with some Opus I bought off someone way back in the day. They just wouldn't stay lit, and also did NOT Talk like Opus that I know now! I've since come to discover that they were sent to me super over-humidified, hence the issues staying lit and tasting like charred meat and not Opus Xs. I smoked an Opus that I knew was over humidified (looking at the guy's humidor controls etc.) and had the same issues. But yeah, you may want to check the accuracy of your hygrometer?
Chris

I tell ya Chris.I've been pretty drunk before but my cigars have yet to talk to me. :laugh:
I guess its Ok to talk to your cigars, its when your cigars start talking back to you, its time for some help :laugh:

I thought this was steady occurance for the thinner RG Opus.

Fresh Opus can be fairly "wet" when you first get them, and they definitely smoke better with a few years on them. That being said, I typically just have uneven burning, not trouble keeping the cigar lit. Could be a construction issue as well.

Its no secret I smoke a lot of Opus and never have that problem. Unless I'm talking and get distracted. Otherwise my Opus never go out till I toss the nub.

I had this issue with some Opus I bought off someone way back in the day. They just wouldn't stay lit, and also did NOT talk like Opus that I know now! I've since come to discover that they were sent to me super over-humidified, hence the issues staying lit and tasting like charred meat and not Opus Xs. I smoked an Opus that I knew was over humidified (looking at the guy's humidor controls etc.) and had the same issues. But yeah, you may want to check the accuracy of your hygrometer?
Chris

I stand corrected. I did have 1 Opus X Power Ranger I had a huge issue getting it to burn. When I went to Moscow, Russia and took a walk to the Red Square for the first time. It just wouldn't burn and when it did, only like 1/2 of one side would. I had used my Armored humidor with the humidity pack from a Opus X box. All the cigars burned fine but the one. I had pairs of each cigar and the other Power Ranger burned fine. It could have been on the side of the humidity pack and it absorbed a lot of moisture, Thus the huge issue with the burn.

I remember a Casa Blanca Jeroboam which is a big cigar. They rolled their tobacco too wet and thus, I had the same problem I did with the Opus X Power Ranger. But the Casa Blanca incident was in 1999 I think and the Opus was in 2008.

What!? My Opus are my friends! We chat about the weather, sports, and even ladies of past conquest (the Opus are pimps mind you).

TASTE like Opus*

TASTE. :whistling:
Chris