Outdoor Space Heater

kann

One Leg Of Fury.
Now that I am smoking outdoors again in a chillier climate, I’m in need of an outdoor space heater. Preferably electric. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

jfields

Where did all my money go?
I’ve always been a big fan of anything infrared radiant that heats objects around the heater, over forced air. Not sure what options you’ll have with electric over there though.

Juanote

The sound of one hand fapping
What he said. Infrared propagation is unaffected by wind or temperature.

kann

One Leg Of Fury.
Excellent, gentlemen. Thanks for the information. I'll look locally for something infrared. The only real issue with something from Amazon is that it would have to support 220v power. Again, mahalo!

Thoughts

Forehead wrinkle king
I’ve always been a big fan of anything infrared radiant that heats objects around the heater, over forced air. Not sure what options you’ll have with electric over there though.

When did they start harnessing light sabers to use for heating sources?

Juanote

The sound of one hand fapping
I am unfamiliar with this. Is this only over a short distance?
Due to the inverse square law and depending on the strength of the source, yes. However it’s the best way to heat an area that is open to drafts or the outside, which is why it’s the preferred type to use for livestock and in barns for example. That’s because of the three types of heat transfer — conduction, convection, and radiation — only radiation is not affected by wind movements and ambient temperature.

grateful1

Oh My!
mr buddy big buddy propane heater is excellent.

1lb tanks or get a 20lb adapter and extension hose

i dont used the fan portion any longer but it's there.

i even have a small single to just take the chill off

Brickhouse

J.C. Newman owes me royalties.
Due to the inverse square law and depending on the strength of the source, yes. However it’s the best way to heat an area that is open to drafts or the outside, which is why it’s the preferred type to use for livestock and in barns for example. That’s because of the three types of heat transfer — conduction, convection, and radiation — only radiation is not affected by wind movements and ambient temperature.
Oh....now that you put it that way. :rolleyes:

jfields

Where did all my money go?
Had breakfast outside in London this am with these guys going. Was about 44° and I was very comfortable, almost too warm. They are all 240v. All the objects in the vicinity like the silverware, tables, and chairs were warm when we sat down.

kann

One Leg Of Fury.
Had breakfast outside in London this am with these guys going. Was about 44° and I was very comfortable, almost too warm. They are all 240v. All the objects in the vicinity like the silverware, tables, and chairs were warm when we sat down.

View attachment 28057
Looks like those things have their own power grid! I'm sure one or two would do the trick here.

Hey, you are only two hours away from me at the moment. Hop on over! I'd offer a spare room (which we have), but we don't have any furniture in it, yet... :p