• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

PAM when did the bands switch

MonkeyK

All of the pictures I see of PAMs show two bands, one that says Padron 1964 and one that has a serial number on it.

I recently did a trade for a PAM Superior and got one that only has the Padron 1964 band. Is this the new way or the old way? And when did they switch?

I thought the new way was with the serial #. To prevents or something like that. ???

We would need this to be Moki-fied but I think the new bands came out around 2000, if you have a "pre" serial numbered PAM... Yuuuuuuuumy!

Yes, the most recent band has an added band that is underneath the Padron band with a serial number on it. Does that make sense? Two bands to deter fakes.

Ree

Here's my understanding; Padrón originally had bands that said:

Padrón 1964 Aniversario

These came out in 1994 to celebrate Padrón's 30th anniversary as a cigar company.

They added José Padrón's signature to the back of the band in 1999, and were printing both "Anniversary" and "Anniversario" bands overlapping this time period.

The second band with a serial number on it was introduced in February of 2001.

So if you have a Padrón that has no second band, it is either pre-Feb 01, or it is fake. If there is no signature on the back, it is either pre-1999, or it is fake.

All of these various measures were taken because Padrón cigars had become so popular and sought-after that counterfeits were rampant.

Here are some known fakes:

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar/CA_St...nt_pdpage3.html

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar/CA_St...nt_pdpage2.html

And what the real thing should look like:

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar/CA_St...nt_pdpage1.html

Shoot, no signature on the back of the band. That coupled with slightly strange looking cap (fully exposed on the outside) makes me think I got a fake. :angry:

Otherwise size and shape are spot-on.

Thanks for the vry useful info info Moki. You are the Bard of Padron. :p

I went through this recently myself and the all knowing moki helped me determine that I had found a stash of original release PAMs. Yummy. :love:

If you got it in a trade from a good trader it's probly real and you are in for a real treat. Not sure if it's the age or a change in blend but the pre-serial number PAM's are much better cigars IMHO.

MonkeyK said:
Shoot, no signature on the back of the band. That coupled with slightly strange looking cap (fully exposed on the outside) makes me think I got a fake. :angry:
It very well may be real -- smoke it, you'll know. :)

MonkeyK said:

Otherwise size and shape are spot-on.

Thanks for the vry useful info info Moki. You are the Bard of Padron. :p
could still be a pre-99 cigar.

Maybe I'm just paranoid. Rereading the orignal post of the seller, I think it may be likely that this one is pre 99. The only thing that is out of place is the cap.

As Moki says, smoking it ought to answer any questions! :D

If any of you are in Phoenix AZ area...go to Ambassedor cigars on Shea Street. They had a PAM sampler box with the "A"...ORIGIONAL RELEASE!! :D !! for $98. I didn't buy it...wish I had...but it's still there and all bursting with plume and lovely and smelling so good. Damn I wish I bought it...hind-site is always 20/20. :angry2:

-Fetter

but it's still there and all bursting with plume

The skeptic in me has to ask. Are you sure it wasn't mold?