• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Paw Paw Beer

nfulton

Our little area down here by the river is simply covered by paw paws and I love the flavor. A local brewer does a paw paw beer for a yearly festival but he isn't divulging any secrets. Though it might sound odd and I am not a fan of flavored or fruit beers, it is incredible. I have searched far and wide for recipes using the paw paw for an American style wheat, but have had no luck whatsoever. Because you can't juice the things no one seems to have a good method. I found one using Google and tried it last year but to no avail. Does anyone have any recipes or methods that they would care to share? By the way, if you don't know what a paw paw is, it is like a small sweet custardy banana. They are only ripe for a short time and they don't store well so you don't get them in the stores very often.

Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I would just suggest you find your favorite American style wheat recipe Nate.

All you have to do is add the puree to the secondary afterward when you think it calls for it. This can be anywhere from 48 hours to one week before bottling. The amount will depend on how dominate you want the nuance of the Paw Paw to be.

Best to just experiment. Might be a disaster the first go around, could be a learning point, might be brilliant.

Here is a couple of examples (Of course I'd prefer all grain), but you get the idea how to add the paw paw to your recipe.

I have heard that you want to skin and just use the pulp only. Thoroughly freeze the pulp first to kill off any natural yeast it may contain.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jeanna's Paw Paw Pale Ale

5 Gal Extract w/ Steeped grains.
I lose 2 gal/hr from my keggle so I boil 7 gal. You can adjust for your system.

6# light DME
1# Crystal 60L
1# White Wheat
3/4 oz Cascade (6.3 AA)(60 min)
1/2 oz Glacier (5.8 AA) (20 min)
Irish Moss
WLP002 English Ale
7# Paw Paw pulp; Thoroughly freeze to kill off any wild yeast.

Steep grains @153 for 45 in 5 Gal. Add DME and 2 gal of water bring to boil and add Cascades. Boil 60 adding Glaciers the last 20; Irish Moss the last 15.
Cooled to 75 F and pitched straight from vial.
Fermented in Primary 2 weeks. Racked to Secondary and added Paw Paw. Racked to another secondary after 6 days.
Left it in there for another 10 days to settle out. Bottled conditioned for 2 weeks.

It was a little rich so I think I'll use less fruit next time and possibly tweak the Hop schedule. I think it would mellow well with age but my friends and family are thirsty.LOL.

OG: 1.059
FG: 1.014
ABV: 5.9 = 131 x (1.059 - 1.014)

I think I'll use 3.5# of Paw Paw next time.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paw Paw
10-B American Amber Ale

Size: 5.0 gal
Efficiency: 75.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 170.55 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.051 (1.045 - 1.060) hit 1.048
Terminal Gravity: 1.013 (1.010 - 1.015) hit 1.013
Color: 14.45 (10.0 - 17.0)
Alcohol: 5.04% (4.5% - 6.2%) hit 4.54
Bitterness: 35.0 (25.0 - 40.0)

Ingredients:
7.5 lb American 2-row
1.5 lb Crystal 60
1.0 lb White Wheat Malt
1.0 oz Cascade (6%) - added during boil, boiled 60.0 min
1.0 oz Glacier (6%) - added during boil, boiled 20.0 min
1.0 ea White Labs WLP002 English Ale (my notes show I used WLP005)
3.81 lb Paw Paw puree - added dry to secondary fermenter

The first recipe is the one I found and used last year. It wasn't the worst, but I did just dump the bottles. I'll try the second one this year. I also got a recipe from a brewing book that I am going to try and tweak for another batch. If they both work, all the better! I did freeze the pulp last year but I might try a second batch without killing the yeast. I had some stupendous open fermented Belgian ale from a husband a wife team up in Cleveland. The wild yeast gave it a flavor that would really compliment the taste of the paw paws...or it will turn into a science experiment and crawl away!

That's pretty lame that the guy won't help you out at all. I've never met a homebrewer that isn't more than happy to share their recipes/techniques.

That's pretty lame that the guy won't help you out at all. I've never met a homebrewer that isn't more than happy to share their recipes/techniques.

He was the brewmiester at the local brewery. With the exception of the paw paw beer, most of his other brews are sub par or knock offs of other decent brews. He's left the area to start a craft distillery and I for one say good riddance. He was never friendly with the local brew crowd unless he thought he could make a buck off of you. That's just some people I guess.