• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Peaty Scotch for a Newbie

cabaiguan juan

Vote Panda 2024
I’m looking for a newbie peaty scotch. Every google search I do starts with Laphroaig Quarter Cask. What’s your thought on that or what other recommendations do you have? Remember I’m a newbie so don’t trick me into Peat 100

I think Ardbeg ten year is a fantastic newbie scotch. It’s not gonna be overpowering, but most Ardbeg scotch uses peated malt. As I said in the other thread, Peat Monster is like one of my all time favorites. The Islay region is like the Mecca of peaty scotch. So as a rule of thumb any time any scotch made in Islay is going to have that distinct flavor you are looking for. But as you mentioned, if you are new to it, some Islay scotches will be super overpowering.

I find the Laphroaig Quarter Cask pretty intensely . . . medicinal. It might be a tad much to start with. The regular one, or if you can find it, the glorious Cask Strength, might be better bets.

If you're looking to just try a bit of peat on your palate to see what you think of it, Johnny Walker does a peated blend that's quite nice, and Highland Park's Viking Honor has a good bit of peat, but not nearly so much as an Islay.

~Boar

Bowmore 12 is a peaty scotch that’s not in your face like the Caol or Laphroaig and so is Ardbeg, as mentioned above. Also, rather than an Islay try a Speyside. They are not as peaty as the Islay but its still there. There’s plenty of good single malt products out there that won’t break the bank.

Bowmore 12 is a peaty scotch that’s not in your face like the Caol or Laphroaig and so is Ardbeg, as mentioned above. Also, rather than an Islay try a Speyside. They are not as peaty as the Islay but its still there. There’s plenty of good single malt products out there that won’t break the bank.
Thanks. I’ll will look at the Speyside too.

I think Ardbeg ten year is a fantastic newbie scotch. It’s not gonna be overpowering, but most Ardbeg scotch uses peated malt. As I said in the other thread, Peat Monster is like one of my all time favorites. The Islay region is like the Mecca of peaty scotch. So as a rule of thumb any time any scotch made in Islay is going to have that distinct flavor you are looking for. But as you mentioned, if you are new to it, some Islay scotches will be super overpowering.
Ardbeg 10 is on my radar

I find the Laphroaig Quarter Cask pretty intensely . . . medicinal. It might be a tad much to start with. The regular one, or if you can find it, the glorious Cask Strength, might be better bets.

If you're looking to just try a bit of peat on your palate to see what you think of it, Johnny Walker does a peated blend that's quite nice, and Highland Park's Viking Honor has a good bit of peat, but not nearly so much as an Islay.

~Boar
When you say JW, do you mean Double Black

What came with the bottle?

Some cups. It's like a ceramic coated metal cup. Think old school camping gear.

Drank a finger this evening, a bit medicinal, but the peat added a rich campfire smell just like Latakia pipe tobacco. I can see this growing on me.

The only “peaty” scotch I’ve had is Highland Park 12. I liked it, mainly because the peat smoke balance each other nicely. It was pretty easy to drink. It was a shooter gift and I’d definitely consider picking up a full size bottle.

Ok. Need help with this decision:
Ardbeg 10 or Bowmore 12? Which one should I choose given the above?

IMHO.....the Bowmore is smoother than the Ardbeg but both are reasonably priced.

Make that 2 for Bowmore. But you can’t go wrong either way!