• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Pellet grills/smokers. Whatdoyagot?

Satchmo

Why do they call it a Power Ranger???
I've got a Weber gasser and Weber Smokey Mountain right now. I don't use the WSM because family, lazy (insert other excuses) so I'm want a set it/forget it pellet grill/smoker to replace the current setup. I'd like to be able to get to 500F or more for grilling. I'm thinking about the Recteq RT-380 which can get up to 750F, a RT-590 or a Weber Smokefire. Recteq has a decent sale going now also.

What do you guys have?

Where in the hell have you been?! Good to see you!

Recteqs are awesome. I'm going to get a Camp Chef one though because they're highly reviewed and I'm cheap.

I'd do a quick search for Recteq or Weber and you'll find a lot of information here.

I have a recteq

I have the Recteq RT-700 and bought my parents the RT-590. Both amazing and in my opinion no other pellet grill comes close in quality. The Weber Smokefire I've heard has had allot of problems. Not sure if they've remedied this but originally it had the fire pit exposed which caused tons of flame ups, the first fix they had I heard wasn't much better but that has been a while.

Customer service on RecTeq is better than I've dealt with for any company. Also my RT-700 is going on 5 years old now. Still works perfect and I've probably had 2000lbs of pellets through it at this point? Only part I've ever replaced was the temp probes, but that was due to my dog finding them and chewing them up. RecTeq replaced them for free even when I told them what happened.

I just inherited a Cam Chef Woodwind 24. I've only used it once so far, but I really liked it. It wasn't the Wifi version, so I bought the upgraded Wifi controller and like it even more! It gives you a lot more control for temp and smoke.

The one I have is about 3 years old and I can't get near 500F for temp, but the new ones might have fixed that issue.

I just inherited a Cam Chef Woodwind 24. I've only used it once so far, but I really liked it. It wasn't the Wifi version, so I bought the upgraded Wifi controller and like it even more! It gives you a lot more control for temp and smoke.

The one I have is about 3 years old and I can't get near 500F for temp, but the new ones might have fixed that issue.
They have a 2nd generation that fixed a lot of the issues on the original.

Damn Jason Quade! Look what the cat dragged in…. I legitimately thought some Newb necro bumped some thread you started years ago.
Everyone here knows I’m going to say Big Green Egg. I worried when I got it that it would be too much work tending to it. I’ve got it down to where I can have it dialed in at 20 minutes from start and walk away. I’ll often put a butt roast on late at night, go to bed, then take it off the next day when the allotted time has passed. I’ve baked, smoked, grilled, Dutch oven, & made pizza. Have had it up to 800° to sear steaks I’ve Sous Vide cooked.

I thought the same thing as John. Good to see you back Jason.

Wyatt has a Recteq @Brickhouse . I’m a charcoal kind of guy, can’t help you on the lazy part 😂

I have a 36" cast iron cauldron that I made a baffle for on the top. I start a wood fire in it get it to temp drop in the grate then put the baffle on top. Depending on how much air goes in adjusts heat. Adding more wood is a pain so I'm limited to about 3 hours of smoking.

Edited for literacy.

Last edited:
I have a Traeger and love it. It's one of the old American Made ones, that I got 2nd hand. The newer Tragers aren't as well made, but have a lot of good bells and whistles. Whatever one you decide on, I think you'll enjoy how easy they are to use.

Last edited:
I thought the same thing as John. Good to see you back Jason.

Wyatt has a Recteq @Brickhouse . I’m a charcoal kind of guy, can’t help you on the lazy part 😂

Yes! I have the RecTec Bull, 700. I’m in love with it. Zero things negative to say about it.