• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Planet Fitness- Anyone a member?

bilder

Anyone here belong to Planet Fitness? Thinking of joining up to work off some of the flab this winter.

A couple locations opened up here this summer and the price is very affordable at 20 bucks a month. Just wondering if anyone had any personal experience with them.

Thanks.

I would avoid them if grunting and groaning are part of your work out routine.

Doc.

I would avoid them if grunting and groaning are part of your work out routine.

Doc.

Do they have rules against that at their gyms? I go to Powerhouse and they have a rule against grunting, throwing weights after a set, and swearing. I guess it isn't too bad. I don't wanna be preacher curls while the guy 10 feet away sounds like he's having intercourse with the bench press while screaming obscenities, unless you're into that sort of thing... ???

I know a few guys who joined one by me and said it was horrible. He said there is not very heavy weights and they watch and make sure their is no one trying to. He also said the place was full of kids.

It's a 'Day Care Center' meets 'Light Workout Gym' in our town.

It sucks when you have to fight an eight year old for a treadmill.....except when his mother is packing 38Ds with a 21" waist in spandex! :whistling:

Can you introduce me?

As a parent, I would never consider having my kid run around the gym. A couple years ago in Seattle, an unattended child hit his head on some weight equipment...and later died. I may be irritated that the kid isn't being watched, but there's a bigger reason not to have kids around massive, heavy weight lifting equipment and treadmills.

If that's the norm there, I say give it a pass. Even cheaper gyms should have segregated on site day care.

My wife and I go to one here in Austin. Everything is purple. That is a negative.

It is more of a cardio gym with a lot of nautilus type of weights and a few free weights. Good for beginners and people who don't want to get the evil eye from the Rambo looking muscleheads wearing the MC hammer pants and the fanny packs.

No grunting or dropping weights and no talking smack to other people about their workout. At the gym I go to there are an obscene amount of treadmills, elliptical machines and bicycles. You can never not get on one even during peak hours.

If you are looking for perfect 10s and Arnold Swarzennegers then pick a different place.

no talking smack to other people about their workout

This is a standard rule of mine. Those people are in the gym doing something... you shouldn't be concerned with the speed or weight or even the noise they are making. Now if they're doing something that'll hurt themselves, that's different, but I don't care if you're running at 2mph or struggling to lift the bar on bench press, at least you're working out.

Luckily the rec. center / senior center here has a pretty nice gym setup. It's a small town, so there's rarely a wait on anything, either. Add a full pool with slide, lazy river, kids play area, day care, teen room, etc... it's a nice place. :)

-John

I would say any gym that requires you to have a membership is terrible to begin with. You can achieve anything you can at a gym with 100 dollars worth of free weights and a block to run around. Depending on your physical ability I would recommend P90 or P90X programs they will kick your ass but you will see major results when followed correctly.

I would say any gym that requires you to have a membership is terrible to begin with. You can achieve anything you can at a gym with 100 dollars worth of free weights and a block to run around. Depending on your physical ability I would recommend P90 or P90X programs they will kick your ass but you will see major results when followed correctly.

It's a good idea and when I'm in Seattle, I'd agree but not all environments are created equally.

My apartment isn't large enough to accomodate weights, let along a space to use them and I live in the Boston area. If you're running here, you're running from a mugging, and you're knocking over everybody to do it. Bicycles are a last resort. Leaving asside the poor road conditions, disasterous drivers and bad weather, you still run the rist of being mugged...yes, even on a bicycle. In the past month, there have been two armed robberies in which bicyclists were physically attacked.

Nah, I'll be at the gym where I can comfortably workout unarmed. Expresso bike, peck deck, deltoid machines, weights, sauna, yoga and tai chi studio, classes...all for $20? Hell, I'd spend more than that on a bottle of vodka or a burger and drinks. Can't even see a really bad movie with an icee and sour patch kids for that.

Yeah I'm not in great shape and the idea of running for 30 minutes in the middle of summer outside in South Texas sounds like a deathwish. I like the treadmill with the TV screen :) Not to mention Texas is not bicycle, public transit, or pedestrian friendly. If you aren't driving then you are pretty much screwed around where I live at. No sidewalks by the house. Lots of grass, fences, roads with big trucks and drunk mexicans & redknecks driving them.

I have weights at the house that I use but the Planet Fitness is close to work and is a great place to go and excercise while the traffic jam dies down. About the time I get done I can drive what would usually take an hour in about 15 minutes.

In a perfect world...

Thanks for the comments.

I am mainly looking for cardio workouts that will get the heart rate up and burn calories over bulking up with the weights. I am a beginner so the lack of heavy weights does not worry my too much. If the place is a daycare like some have said, I will look elsewhere.

Plan on stopping by at various times during the week and see who is there, kids or grown ups. Will decide if it is worth walking in the door at that point and will ask for a tour and such.

Where can I buy 500lbs of weights for $100? Don't worry... I'll wait.

And what would you need 500lbs worth of weight for master-blaster :sign:

Funny I came across this thread just now. Last week I was in fat bastard mode at a Cold Stone in Scarsdale, which is right next to a Planet Fitness. I struck up a conversation with this girl who happened to be on her way there. So I walked her in and OH MY HOLY HEINEKEN...I had to join right then and there. The females on the treadmills and elliptical machines are really worth paying the $20 a month. Needless to say, I will be using that PF maybe 2 to 3 days a week, right after I get my fat bastard mode on at Cold Stone :laugh:

I'm actually joining my local gym here in Krakow. I didn't really plan to but the other day I noticed three very attractive, blonde German girls walk out...

I'm sold.

-Mark

I joined up 4 weeks ago and have been going 3 times a week.

I have not seen too many teens at the gym I go to. The few that are there are with their mom or dad, so it is pretty tame. I took the classes offered by the staff trainer who helped me set up a routine with the weight machines and taught me proper form and such. I have yet to see the staff get after anyone and both staff and patrons are all pretty friendly and easy to deal with. And yes, there are some hot bodies bouncing on the treadmills. ;) My biggest gripe would be the limited hours on the weekends. They are open 24 hours during the week, but close for a few hours Sat and Sunday late night/early morning. I work early mornings and they do not open in time for me to stop by before work on the weekends. Have to go after work instead.

I have lost 10 pounds so far and have another 45 to go.

I joined up 4 weeks ago and have been going 3 times a week.

I have not seen too many teens at the gym I go to. The few that are there are with their mom or dad, so it is pretty tame. I took the classes offered by the staff trainer who helped me set up a routine with the weight machines and taught me proper form and such. I have yet to see the staff get after anyone and both staff and patrons are all pretty friendly and easy to deal with. And yes, there are some hot bodies bouncing on the treadmills. ;) My biggest gripe would be the limited hours on the weekends. They are open 24 hours during the week, but close for a few hours Sat and Sunday late night/early morning. I work early mornings and they do not open in time for me to stop by before work on the weekends. Have to go after work instead.

I have lost 10 pounds so far and have another 45 to go.

Congrats on the accomplishment so far! It's been a long time since I've seen the inside of a gym, and I can recall the hardest thing about going it making it a part of your routine and really sticking to it. I've heard that once you reach the 6-8 week mark of going regularly you've made it past the commitment hurdle and NOT going to the gym after that is when you realize you've missed something from your routine.

Keep up the good work!

And what would you need 500lbs worth of weight for master-blaster :sign:

Because I can lift 500lbs.

Can you introduce me?

As a parent, I would never consider having my kid run around the gym. A couple years ago in Seattle, an unattended child hit his head on some weight equipment...and later died. I may be irritated that the kid isn't being watched, but there's a bigger reason not to have kids around massive, heavy weight lifting equipment and treadmills.

If that's the norm there, I say give it a pass. Even cheaper gyms should have segregated on site day care.

My gym does not even allow children under the age of 10 to by on the gym floor. Even if supervised.