• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Planning on smoking some lox!

Dave

Padilla Lanceros, yum yum!!
Well, after eating a lot of lox this past year, I figure why not try to do it myself?

I was directed to this site by Justin on a recipe and some preparations. I also plan to purchase this smoker after Tom suggested it. Was thinking of getting some alder chips as well.

Summer's around the corner and I would presume it's the best time of the year to sit outside for an hour, smoke some meat, smoke some cigars, and enjoy the fruits, so to speak, of my labor.

Anyone else want to share some recipes on how to smoke lox? I'm especially interested in gravlox, and I think I also saw something similar to a peppercorn encrusted lox. Any tips would be well appreciated.

I got all excited about this last summer when chef buddy offered me as much fresh salmon as I wanted. I was getting everything organized until I got to the part about not letting your fish get over 70 degrees. How the hell am I suppose to do that when it is a 110 degrees out?

That smoker is decent, especially at that price point but its not very good at maintaining low temps. I've had mine for about 3-4 years and will prob retire it this year as rust has taken its toll. Trying to keep it at or below 225 is quite a feat, doesn't hold heat very well, and the temp variance throughout the smoker is all over the place. Not trying to knock it just telling you like it is. I've smoked plenty meat on it but keeping a constant low temp is almost impossibe.

Thanks for the input guys. This got me thinking, what if I were to somehow get some ice in there to chill the main compartment, like maybe make some sort of make shift cage using chicken wire?

Cold smoker

For low temperature smoking, you need to use a cold smoker. This can be done by tweating your standard smoker. I believe the Weber Virtal Bullet website has a conversion.

Basically, you need to move the smoke away from the direct heat and expose the food item in a lower temp area. I've seen people use some flexible tubing, duct tape and box. Attach the tubing to the vent on your smoker. Other end is attached to the smoke unit (box). I had an replace aluminum box from my Ducane grill I tried to use try this out. Pain in the butt. I'll smoke my pork shoulder and buy the smoked cheeses and lox :D