• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Plume or Mold?

whylieineedacigar

Yolalatlpwry
A few days ago I was inspecting and rearranging the cigars in my wineadors. When I opened my box of Punch LE 2013 I found this sucker getting way too happy.
20150108_174306_zps17yam65o.jpg

20150108_174444_zpsqoy6uszy.jpg

The humidity in my Wineadors is always around 64%-66% and the temperature around 65F. This is the first time I find mold on any of my cigars and one can't help it but wonder how the heck did this happen at such low humidity. Out of the box the whole box, this was the only cigar affected by the mold. I had to dispose of it the proper way, with fire.

IMG_20150109_164830_zpsmji2kqqw.jpg

The lesson learned here is that no matter how much I trust my hygrometers, I must periodically open up my boxes to check them. I have 3 hygrometers and 3 pounds of 65% heartfelt beads in each of the wineadors. I thought I had the perfect environment for preventing mold and beetles. I was wrong.

You are a brave man for smoking that thing. Hope the victory tasted even sweeter. Good advice though on checking boxes though.

oke&coke said:
You are a brave man for smoking that thing. Hope the victory tasted even sweeter. Good advice though on checking boxes though.
I used a paper towel and distilled water to wipe it off. The mold wasn't anywhere else on the cigar and the foot didn't show any signs of it. I think that it was safe to smoke (Or at least I hope it was :laugh: )

MadMonk said:
Do you have a fan, or fans, in the unit?

Yes, I do have fans and I also open their door at least 3-4 times a week for fresh air to circulate in.

Michael, most likely these were exposed to the mold before you received them. A lot of stores over-humidify their cigars, and if you get any cigars in the tubes, check them periodically. The spores when starting out are very small and you cannot tell there is mold there... Then it slowly grows in the "perfect" environment (or pretty much any environment)...

I use nano-silver mixed with my distilled water, and this eliminates any possibility of contracting mold, and keeps the spores from spreading if there is mold introduced to the environment. It is odorless and tasteless, as well as non-toxic...

Bill. where do you get the Nano-Silver? How much do you use? I use a couple of Silver impregnated food containers for overflow but  adding it to the water is a great idea. I have colloidal...need to see if same. If it is that effective, it might give me the confidence to raise my humidity a point or two.

This will work, 2 ounces per gallon of distilled water. I use it with my aristocrats and my set it and forget it systems, as well as my beads. If I see any mold on recently purchased cigars, I used the same solution to gently wipe down the cigar, it kills any trace of mold...

bfreebern said:
Parmesan cheese!
Yuck, it reminded me of some disgusting pasta I had a few days ago :laugh:

sar127 said:
Nice cigar stand!
Thank you sir! I got it from a great BOTL that makes them. Here is his IG account http://instagram.com/stogiestand just send him an email about it. I used to have a few of them but my friends keep taking them :laugh:

CigSid said:
This will work, 2 ounces per gallon of distilled water. I use it with my aristocrats and my set it and forget it systems, as well as my beads. If I see any mold on recently purchased cigars, I used the same solution to gently wipe down the cigar, it kills any trace of mold...
Bill, thank you for the suggestion and knowledge brother. I will purchase this right now!

Bill
I thank you as well for the valuable information. Ordered mine right before posting this from the link you provided.

oke&coke, Thanks! I did not find anything nearly as thorough. (I really need to work on my google fu)

Bill, Thanks a lot too! That is a damn good deal. I paid like 30 bucks for a much smaller bottle of 10ppm. 

I learned something too! In the cart!

Same as the other guys, Bill - I ordered a bottle as it's almost time to maintain the humidifier cans in my Staebell.  Thanks for the heads up.

My pleasure guys, this has been my little secret for years...

CigSid said:
My pleasure guys, this has been my little secret for years...

I've used vodka for years...keeps the mold at bay and keeps my cigars in a frisky mood. 

Nice tip Bill...thanks. 

BlindedByScience said:
Same as the other guys, Bill - I ordered a bottle as it's almost time to maintain the humidifier cans in my Staebell.  Thanks for the heads up.

As always with us cigar guys, we CAN take this to the next level you know...

LINK

Fifteen bucks for a bottle of the stuff which will likely last a couple years....I'm OK with that.  I've done enough science projects over the years..... :p