• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Polishing your pipes

I can see doing this with soft beeswax (like from a sewing/fabric store), But no way, no how can you rub carnauba (if it's solid, 100% carnauba) on a pipe. Touch a block of this to a spinning buffing wheel and you can barely see the mark on the block.
Even the beeswax that I got from a craft store requires a hammer and screwdriver to break for melting. I'd be happy to be proven wrong, so anyone feel free to jump in.
Personally, I use Murphy's Oil soap to get off the surface dirt, and then put on a coat or two of Trewax. I know it has petroleum distillates, but I can't smell 'em within an hour of polishing, and I don't put it on the stem anyway. After that it's Briar Wipe on a disposable dusting cloth each time I use the pipe. One application and the cloth lasts for a year in a ziploc.

I usually polish my pipe in the shower in the morning. Works well for me. :whistling:

I don't think you'll be able to hand rub carnauba unless you do A LOT of the "polishing" Justin is talking about.

I use Paragon or Halcyon II wax for my pipes depending on whether they're rusticated or smooth. It's a little expensive, but I don't have a buffer other than a dremel and I don't trust myself to use that for waxing pipes. The Paragon and Halcyon II is designed to be hand rubbed and it works VERY well.

THIS is where I got it, but it comes around on ebay every once and awhile.

Now that Alan got this thread back on track...I've used Dunhill's pipe wax with hand rubbing to restore the finish to older pipes.

I use halcyon and it works wonders. I think a jar cost me about 5 bucks shipped?

I am lucky in that about 8 miles from my home, there is a tobacconist called Benningtons. These guys are old school, and one of the brothers is an old time pipe guy. For 6 bucks, I take a pipe in and this guy cleans it, polishes it and basically makes the pipe look brand new. I usually take about 5-7 pipes in at a time and he works his magic on them.

I used to clean my own pipes before I moved to Florida, but since I met this guy, I cannot justify my cleaning the pipes when this guy is so much better at it than I am.

I am lucky in that about 8 miles from my home, there is a tobacconist called Benningtons. These guys are old school, and one of the brothers is an old time pipe guy. For 6 bucks, I take a pipe in and this guy cleans it, polishes it and basically makes the pipe look brand new. I usually take about 5-7 pipes in at a time and he works his magic on them.

I used to clean my own pipes before I moved to Florida, but since I met this guy, I cannot justify my cleaning the pipes when this guy is so much better at it than I am.
That sounds like a wonderful place. :)

It's nice to see you around again...

I don't think you'll be able to hand rub carnauba unless you do A LOT of the "polishing" Justin is talking about.

I use Paragon or Halcyon II wax for my pipes depending on whether they're rusticated or smooth. It's a little expensive, but I don't have a buffer other than a dremel and I don't trust myself to use that for waxing pipes. The Paragon and Halcyon II is designed to be hand rubbed and it works VERY well.

THIS is where I got it, but it comes around on ebay every once and awhile.

I use that stuff as well. Works wonders on a pipe with simple hand rubbing.