• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Port

other1

Cigarpassaholic. Mmm.. cigarpassahol.
Lets kick off this forum..

I like to drink Port with a cigar.

My current favorite is Fonseca Guimaraens 1998 vintage.

Anyone else?

That's a pretty good port. I like the Graham's 20 year port. Also, just received a bottle of Justin Vineyards port wine. It's a little sweeter than a tawny, but I really enjoyed it.

other1 said:
Lets kick off this forum..

I like to drink Port with a cigar.

My current favorite is Fonseca Guimaraens 1998 vintage.

Anyone else?
[snapback]152946[/snapback]​
My current favorite is the '77 Warres. I've become addicted to it, and it goes well with all my favorite smokes. In particular, aged cohibas particularly enjoy the pairing, particularly the spicier vitolas.

Cheers,

- Oak

Damn...that stuff is $130 a bottle up here. Maybe you should switch to the '83 version and knock off a third on the cost. I have a bunch of $130 bottles od scotch but I'm not addicted to them, perhaps mildly attracted though. :D

oak said:
My current favorite is the '77 Warres.  I've become addicted to it, and it goes well with all my favorite smokes.  In particular, aged cohibas particularly enjoy the pairing, particularly the spicier vitolas.

Cheers,

- Oak
[snapback]153111[/snapback]​

Wow you guys drink some expensive port.
I actually started drinking port about 6 months ago.
I like Graham's Six Grapes, Fonseca Bin 27 and Sandemanns so far, all can be bought for under $20 at Costco or BJs don't remember which one of the two.

We recently popped one of our 2000 Smith-Woodhouse to sample before the big laydown. Man! is this one drinking nice, I like young wines and this was just fantastic. I'm not quite ready to open one the 2000 Taylor Fladgate's just yet but I'm getting the itch to try it.

I just remembered another one of our favorite ports, it's the 1998 Delicato Vintage Port. Okay, so Delicato doesn't have the pedigree of a Taylor but as a daily drinker under $17 :) I love these kind of finds.

:cool:

I don't only like expensive ports. I'm fine with Bin 27 too, and actually haven't liked several of the aged ports I've tried, but the Guimaraens 1998 really does it for me. Its more than your non vintages but still fairly cheap compared to the high end stuff. I'll have to track down the '77 Warres since you sday it goes with Cohibas so well.

AVB said:
Damn...that stuff is $130 a bottle up here. Maybe you should switch to the '83 version and knock off a third on the cost. I have a bunch of $130 bottles od scotch but I'm not addicted to them, perhaps mildly attracted though. :D
Bah. Not to be pretentious*, but the '83 needs another decade or so, and will never rival the 77 qualitatively. For all you Fonseca fans, you need to try glasses from the '63 or '55 - or the '34 if you can find it. The nifty thing about Fonseca is how strong and kicky it is, even the '34 still has oodles of strength to it.

Cheers,

- Oak

* Funny how anything that begins with "not to be pretentious" is doomed to be exactly that... ;)

The '63 is getting on up there at $350 or so. I found the '60 at $180 though and didn't even try to find a '34.

I found this on a UK site. you may find it interesting.

A very good Vintage widely declared by most of the houses. It was completely and uterly overshadowed by the 1963 declaration, and has largely been forgotten.
As a result they command a far lower price than the 1963 which in my opinion makes them a bargain.

'THE' classic vintage since the war, almost all of the houses declared.
The 1963 has been drinking well for quite some years, and is a an absolutely superb wine. A big full mouthful, spicy with a remarkable concentration of flavours.

It will still cellar for another decade.

Buy some now whilst the price is still almost justifiable.

AVB said:
The '63 is getting on up there at $350 or so. I found the '60 at $180 though and didn't even try to find a '34.
[snapback]153426[/snapback]​
Where'd you find the '60 at that price? I've never had a port from that vintage. If it is similar in caliber to the '63, it might be quite a bargain for what it is.

Cheers,

- Oak

gkpk said:
Wow you guys drink some expensive port.
I actually started drinking port about 6 months ago.
I like Graham's Six Grapes, Fonseca Bin 27 and Sandemanns so far, all can be bought for under $20 at Costco or BJs don't remember which one of the two.
[snapback]153263[/snapback]​
Actually - I like the Fonseca 27 and get it some times when I'm out to dinner. I almost never order expensive port when eating out, as it is often stored poorly and tastes like crap as a result (or at least that's my theory). The Fonseca 27 either is popular with the restaurant crowd and is, as such, never sitting around, or maybe Fonseca's famous strength tolerates the environment better.

Cheers,

- Oak

That is what the State of Pennsylvania is asking for it, plus tax of course.

oak said:
AVB said:
Where'd you find the '60 at that price? I've never had a port from that vintage. If it is similar in caliber to the '63, it might be quite a bargain for what it is.

Cheers,

- Oak
[snapback]153512[/snapback]​

AVB said:
That is what the State of Pennsylvania is asking for it, plus tax of course.

oak said:
AVB said:

Cheers,

- Oak
[snapback]153512[/snapback]​
[snapback]153517[/snapback]​
You've got a state store that actually has it (if so, where) - or is this the msrp price on their web site or something? Explain the mysteries of your fascinating frontier land... it has been many moons since I lived there-abouts...

- Oak

WARRES PORT 1977, Item #051452, List $127.49 ($135.14 w/tax), SLO (Special Liquor Order)

You go into a state store, put half down and they order this item, when it comes in you pay the other half and walk out with your prize.

It is not a stocked item.

Edit: I had 1977 on my brain, here is the 1960 info you asked about.

WARRES PORT 1960, Item #052327, List $179.69 ($190.47 w/tax), SLO (Special Liquor Order)