• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Premium cigar Pricing

broblues

planning and plotting
You walk into a B&M wanting to have a cigar, you don't recognize many labels.  At what price point do you feel you have a good chance of getting a good cigar? :whistling:

This happened to me when I was in Kentucky. I shoot for 10-11 dollars knowing that below that they could be good but it's a risk and same for above 11 dollars. Ill usually go for a toro size as well.

I will always ask for a recommendation if I don't recognize most brands. 

Tall Paul said:
I will always ask for a recommendation if I don't recognize most brands. 

The same, except I'd play dumb with the guy about labels I do know, to see if he knows what he's talking about.

I think the chance of getting a lousy $11 cigar can be as high as getting a lousy $5 cigar in a B&M with unrecognizable cigar brands, so I usually just ask the shop keep and throw in for a $5-6 smoke. If its bad, I just order another couple fingers of bourbon.   

If I walk into a B&M and don't recognize most of the labels.....I walk out.

I guess my example was bad.  I am just looking for your cigar expectation for what money.  Of course you will recognize most bands in a B&M.  I was just trying to find out where you would expect a good cigar to fall in the price range of cigars.

Paul is right...$6-12.00 should get you a nice stick in any B&M I'm aware of....with the exception of Casa Fuente..... :p

I once walked into a B&M here in Long Beach (2nd Street Cigars) and saw no brands or bands...I was like wtf!

"We hand roll all our cigars, and have been for years. Everything is $5, any size or wrapper" ???

I wasn't in the mood for a gamble, so we walked a lil further to another B&M with a "branded/banded" selection.

In Cali the $6-$12 range is more like $8-$15, but it also depends in what area you're shopping.

I've tried those this boutique rollers in Lauderdale and other places.  They usually have the story about authentic Cuban seed, etc.  Most were not bad for $5.
emoshun said:
I once walked into a B&M here in Long Beach (2nd Street Cigars) and saw no brands or bands...I was like wtf!

"We hand roll all our cigars, and have been for years. Everything is $5, any size or wrapper" ???

I wasn't in the mood for a gamble, so we walked a lil further to another B&M with a "branded/banded" selection.

In Cali the $6-$12 range is more like $8-$15, but it also depends in what area you're shopping.

I watched this video on Youtube about a month ago. This lady was being interviewed on a number of questions. She is the owner of the cigar shop. 

She said people come in and want to buy a present for a cigar enthusiast. She said they ask for the most expensive one, but she also said, that just because you buy the most expensive one doesn't mean it is the best. 

So maybe you can find a great cigar for $4 ? 

After I watched that video, it made a lot of sense. 

If you tell the person behind the counter what you usually like, would they have some recommendations? 

Just a thought. 

I think $6.00-$7.00 is probably the extreme beginning of the good cigars pricing.  I have tried for many years to find an amazing low cost cigar, but have been pretty much shut out.  I'm not saying I'm going to quit searching, it's been very educational.

I think you can find very smokable sticks in the $3-5.00 range, but typically not with the added overhead for a small B&M.

Agree.  My go-to cigar these days is the Oliva Serie V Double Robusto.  I used to go with Tatuaje Regios, but it just got too pricy.  With that said, a box of Padron 2000's is even cheaper, and will make any cigar smoker happy.  Too many times have I selected a $10+ smoke at a B&M and been disappointed.  Once, on a shop owner's suggestion, I grabbed a $3 3x3, and it was delicious!

BlindedByScience said:
I think you can find very smokable sticks in the $3-5.00 range, but typically not with the added overhead for a small B&M.

I have never smoked a real cuban cigar! I dream of poping my cherry with a Cohiba Behike 56. Don't know how much they cost or where to get one. i heard they are a great cigar. Looks like i will stay a virgin and keep dreaming lol.

bigwill1979 said:
I have never smoked a real cuban cigar! I dream of poping my cherry with a Cohiba Behike 56. Don't know how much they cost or where to get one. i heard they are a great cigar. Looks like i will stay a virgin and keep dreaming lol.

They've got good prices here: http://goo.gl/Dfgd1

bigwill1979 said:
1st:  Post an introduction!

2nd:  This thread has nothing to do with Cuban cigars.  There is an area for those that can partake to discuss them.

3rd:  As is said here very regularly...........read more, post less.