• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Question about seasoning a humidor

yokimaru

I did all of the usual steps. I poured salt and water into a cap to prep the hygrometer, put distilled water into the crystals which was absorbed, put a bowl with a wet spounge inside my humidor and let it sit for a day. after a day my hygrometer was reading at 80% humidity. Ive let it sit for another day without it and it has dropped to a little above 70. and has stayed there for a few hours. Is it normal for it to prep that fast? this is my second humidor which is a 25-50 cigar humidor (obviously depending on size) and I do not remember it working so fast. Is it possible that the slightly smaller size makes it humidify faster?

You want to ensure that you get the humidity deep into the wood. I can't imagine it being adequate at this point. If you're running the heat, that will also compromise the unit's ability to buffer and recover. Place the sponge or shallow vessel of distilled water in the humidor for a couple of weeks. Place something under the vessel to capture any spills. Place the humidor in a safe place that will prevent it getting knocked, etc.

Why don't you go post an introduction. We like to get to know folks a bit better than just answering a random question. Please read the rules too. I think that if you do that, you'll enjoy any time spent here.

It's possible. How humid is your house? You should follow the seasoning steps, and leave the lid closed for at least several days. Let the moisture really soak into the humidor. Then, remove the extra water/sponge (whatever you're seasoning it with) and just place in the charged humidifier, and let it sit for a few more days. If the Humidor is holding the correct RH, you're ready to add cigars. Please do post an intro, and stick around. I'm sure you'll have more questions! Good luck with your new humidor.