• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Question Regarding Swings in RH and Temperature

MrAnderson41

Cool Story 'Bro!
I've got my desktop humidor stored in one of my dresser drawers near the A/C register in my bedroom. When the A/C kicks on and runs for an extended period of time the RH and Temperature inside the humidor tend to drop as well. I don't think I've really got a problem as the RH/Temp drop from around 70/70 to maybe 65/65 ish.

I've seen it discussed in several threads regarding fridgeidor's already (swings in RH/Temp), but I haven't seen anyone answer the following question:

What kind of swing in RH/Temp can Cigars handle and on what frequency? I would imagine if they are constantly back and forth between 70 and 65 RH it would effect them in some way.

Sorry for asking such a silly question, but I've search and searched and can't find the answer. I even asked a similar question in another thread and didn't get an answer.

TIA.

A/C = dry air...that's why it drops.

I woudn't want that change (that quickly) to happen often...if at all!

I used to have that problem. A couple of possible solutions; change your humidification system, move your cigars, or both. I found a better location for my humidors and haven't had the problem since. Now I had to put the A/C on too in order to keep them from getting too hot... Ugh.

One other thing you might want to check is the seal on your humidor. A poor seal could also cause those issues.

Thanks guys. I understand why it happens, I was wondering if it is a problem. I mean really the swing happens once a day (70 to 65 then 65 back to 70). If you guys think it'll be a problem, I'll find a better location (such as the middle drawer).

If you love your cigars, put them in a place they like. A basement or closet where temperatures and RH don't fluctuate. No direct sunlight nearby, no heating or AC vents nearby, no shower or other source of RH spikes, etc, etc.

If you love your cigars, put them in a place they like. A basement or closet where temperatures and RH don't fluctuate. No direct sunlight nearby, no heating or AC vents nearby, no shower or other source of RH spikes, etc, etc.

I put them where they are currently because I didn't want them to get too hot sitting on my desk while I was at work (house gets up to 80 in the summer). I'm still trying to find the perfect place for them. Thanks for the quick replies.

I gotta agree with CigarStone. The best thing to do is to just move your humidor to a place that doesn't experience direct sunlight, temperature swings, or humidity swings. This will be MUCH better in the long run than trying to worry what ranges your cigars will survive in.

I gotta agree with CigarStone. The best thing to do is to just move your humidor to a place that doesn't experience direct sunlight, temperature swings, or humidity swings. This will be MUCH better in the long run than trying to worry what ranges your cigars will survive in.

Done. I think.

I moved it up one drawer in the dresser which is further away from the A/C register. Hopefull the A/C will keep them at 70 there but not much lower.

My "humidor" sits almost right on top of my AC vent in my bedroom... It keeps it about 65-67deg inside and RH is staying at about 65ish%... It may be staying so constant cause it's very thick walled...

I'd check out the seal on the humi or maybe just move it.... I wouldn't think the temp should swing that much if it's a stout humidor...

Not much to add as there have been alot of good info posted already. Only other thing I can think of that has helped me was adding more beads then I actually need to provide more buffer and prevent humidity swings. Good Luck!

Not much to add as there have been alot of good info posted already. Only other thing I can think of that has helped me was adding more beads then I actually need to provide more buffer and prevent humidity swings. Good Luck!

The humi doesn't seem to have a problem regulating the RH when not near the A/C so I'm not sure that its a problem with the seal.

The problem is while I'm gone at work and at night I have the A/C set higher than I do during the day with one of those programmable therostats so the RH and Temp swing a couple times a day.

As for beads, I have been using the floral foam for humidification. I know, I know. I should be using the beads. Beads are awesome. Beads are great. Maybe someday I will pick some of these beads up but right now its kind of out of the question. I've already spent more than what my wife is happy with and I still haven't filled up the humidor yet. So beads will have to wait until I 1) fill up the humidor and 2) show the wife this a geniune hobby and not just another passing interest.

Just get yourself some silica kitty litter for now. Walmart, about $5.00 :D

- KiltLad

The humi doesn't seem to have a problem regulating the RH when not near the A/C so I'm not sure that its a problem with the seal.

The problem is while I'm gone at work and at night I have the A/C set higher than I do during the day with one of those programmable therostats so the RH and Temp swing a couple times a day.

As for beads, I have been using the floral foam for humidification. I know, I know. I should be using the beads. Beads are awesome. Beads are great. Maybe someday I will pick some of these beads up but right now its kind of out of the question. I've already spent more than what my wife is happy with and I still haven't filled up the humidor yet. So beads will have to wait until I 1) fill up the humidor and 2) show the wife this a geniune hobby and not just another passing interest.

You forgot 3) Trade the wife for a nice coolerdor and some awesome sticks :)

You forgot 3) Trade the wife for a nice coolerdor and some awesome sticks :)

:laugh:

Hmmmm, do you think this would be a legal post on the BST forum or would it get me banned?

The point I was trying to make was not that your humi didn't have a good seal but that the extra buffer may help prevent the swings or at least make them less severe. Beads probably wouldn't work if you are going to continue with the foam anyhow. What size is the desktop?

The point I was trying to make was not that your humi didn't have a good seal but that the extra buffer may help prevent the swings or at least make them less severe. Beads probably wouldn't work if you are going to continue with the foam anyhow. What size is the desktop?

The humi is a small one. Probably 11" X 7" X 3". My thoughts are that the swing in Temperature is what drives the RH down, but you may be right it might be partially attributable to the seal. In the future when I plan on getting beads I will replace the foam with the beads. I am really hoping that the new storage location will be the trick.

I have a different perspective. I would not worry about a 5% RH swing. I would not consider that significant to cause any harm. Think about it this way. You open up your partially filled desktop in the winter (very low room RH) to get a cigar. The air exhange can dramatically bring the RH in the dor down temporarily. If you smoke once a day, the cycle continues at least daily. I never heard of this being a problem.

[quote name='Smok'em' post='876080' date='Jun 18 2009, 12:12 PM']I have a different perspective. I would not worry about a 5% RH swing. I would not consider that significant to cause any harm. Think about it this way. You open up your partially filled desktop in the winter (very low room RH) to get a cigar. The air exhange can dramatically bring the RH in the dor down temporarily. If you smoke once a day, the cycle continues at least daily. I never heard of this being a problem.[/quote]

This is kind of what I was wondering to begin with. Forgot the size, forgot where its located, forget everything about there even being a humidor. What kind of "swing" in RH and Temperature can a cigar handle? And as a follow up does cycling the RH and Temperature have an adverse effect on them?

That being said, I'd rather be safe than sorry and I'm hoping my new storage spot will work.