• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Ramon Allones Specially Selected LOA MAY 15

Upgrayedd

This is my first review ever. I recently got ahold of some aged sticks and feel like I ought to do them justice by putting my thoughts about them together, but before I do that I may as well start working out the kinks on stuff that I have more than one of.

One of my first influences and starting points in reading about cigars was a thread on a humor forum I belong to and praise for RASS was abundant, so it ended up being the first box I bought. That box was from March or April 2014, with claro or colorado claro wrappers. The first one I smoked was the ugly duckling of the box, with a rustic looking and toothy wrapper complete with a kinda ghetto repair job near the foot, with a small piece of wrapper pasted onto a flaw. It made me wonder if the sticks were legit until I lit one up...the flavors were out of this world in spectrum compared to the sticks I'd been smoking, largely one note peppery stuff. The RASS was way deeper, and even then I was picking out flavors of cappucino, ginger, and hints of fruit.

That was in September. I've mostly finished that box, aside from five I set aside to age more.

In comes this new box, a lot younger, but with much nicer looking wrappers. Oilier and maduro or colorado maduro in color. Unlit aroma, something that the first box didn't blow me away with upon receipt, is much stronger and nicer here. Barnyard, cocoa, tobacco, lumberyard.

The first smoke I had from this box, immediately upon receipt, roughed me up a little. I hadn't eaten all day and was pairing it with water. This time I came prepared, washing down some green bean, onion, and beef stew with water and coming at the cigar with a fresh palate and a bottle of Barbancourt 8yr, an agricole rum.

xYdEm1y.jpg

Unlit draw was a little tight and mostly tasted of strong tobacco and wood. I clipped it again further down and the draw improved. Had a sip of the rum. Light, sweet, and floral like some Highland whiskies.

jUwWMWS.jpg

I lit it up to spicy notes that would be at home in a Partagas, along with the strong earthy tobacco flavor you might find in one. The spice quickly mellowed out, though the powerful tobacco flavor remained, joined by dark coffee and bitter cacao or mocha. Sips from the rum began to bring out sweeter notes as the first third ended. I'd say it took on notes of dark fruitcake, molasses, and some nuttiness, though the core of dark tobacco flavor remained potent and dominant.

0Oe0HpC.jpg

The fruitcake phase was somewhat short lived, and after a while despite a couple purges and many, many alcohols, the flavors got heavier until they went over the deep end into an oily and bitter dark coffee abyss, overpowering the rum's ability to bring out the lighter notes.

9cWd9VL.jpg

I took the band off after this photo and continued as the flavors, though intense and agressive, were still enjoyable, but before long it was a little overwhelming and the nub was thrown overboard, hopefully to take root and some day grow a bountiful cigar-tree, which is where I'm told these come from. On an unrelated note about six standard liquor drinks were, unavoidably, harmed in the making of this review. The things I do for science.

QufEPFn.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like the photos didn't come through but nice review. Only had this once but got another waiting and I did enjoy it a lot.

Looks like the photos didn't come through but nice review. Only had this once but got another waiting and I did enjoy it a lot.
Hmm they're showing up on my phone and computer. What browser and device are you using?

They are showing up on my home computer. My mistake.

Good smoke and rum. Slowly going through a bottle of 15 year old. Ever try it? I like it much better in a very wide rimmed, basically conical, tumbler.

Nice review, great cigar...I try to keep a box of those on hand at all times. Never tried the rum though, might have to see if I can find it around here.

Good smoke and rum. Slowly going through a bottle of 15 year old. Ever try it? I like it much better in a very wide rimmed, basically conical, tumbler.
I haven't but it's on my radar. I try to keep the 8yr on hand for Mai Tais, where it's joined with Appleton reserve or Appleton 12, fresh lime juice, Clement creole shrubb, and good orgeat.

Thanks for the well done review.

Well done! Sounds like this batch is a goodin.

Good review. ... A box is eroute currently. Glad to hear they're tasty.