• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Really old or really fake?

Dave

Padilla Lanceros, yum yum!!
Having seen this box in person, a few things are odd about it.
The warranty seal is a bright lime green and missing the serial numbers usually located bottom center.
The factory/date stamp is almost illegible. Only the Factory Code FR is legible.
The Habanos Chevron don't have the words "DENOMINACION DE ORIGEN PROTEGIDA".

From some guessing with these clues, this box is dated somewhere between 1994 and 1999. Or it could be really fake. I'm hoping some of you vintage cigar connoisseurs can help me out.

Here are some pictures.

DSC00117.jpg

DSC00118.jpg

DSC00119.jpg

DSC00120.jpg

DSC00121.jpg

DSC00122.jpg

DSC00123.jpg

DSC00124.jpg

And yes, the box was sealed when acquired.

Maybe an e-mail to the vendor should be made?
Either the box is old or fake...
If fake they put alot of effort into some smokes that aren't that expensive to begin with!
Caps look very nice.
How do they smell?

-Rob

One thing that looked a bit weird to me was the fact that the wrapper was grainy almost like Padron Anniversary grainy as was the ash on the cigar. I have never seen that on a Cuban before, but then again I can't claim to be an expert either.

Habanos didn't start putting "DENOMINACION DE ORIGEN PROTEGIDA" until sometime recently....not sure maybe '05?? The chevron and everything looks ok to me based on the pics. The date code is likely FR NISU or NISC which is '97 or '98. The cigars look fine too.

Is the wax paper yellowed at all?

Habanos didn't start putting "DENOMINACION DE ORIGEN PROTEGIDA" until sometime recently....not sure maybe '05?? The chevron and everything looks ok to me based on the pics. The date code is likely FR NISU or NISC which is '97 or '98. The cigars look fine too.

Is the wax paper yellowed at all?

There is a slight yellow tint, but I would not have noticed it if I didn't compare it to a more recent sample from another box. Would the yellowing of the wax paper indicate how they were stored?

Ask Jack, I'm sure he could tell you if they were legit. Better yet, leave them in your locker and I'm sure he will check them out. :whistling: :laugh:

The look legit to me seem like they got some nice age on them as well.. smoke 'em bro that's the only way to know

The fact that the ribbon is printed and the inner cedar square is imbossed ads to the impression that these are legit. They look like my RS11's from the same era. The telling is in the smoke!

Dave,

As ever, final proof is in the smoking (assuming they've been kept well), but everything I see there is consistent with my recollections of what a legitimate box from the later part of the 1990's should look like.

im voting real.

i have seen that box code stamp on lots of our 97s. hard to imagine that someone got the font and stamp to match perfectly.

there is also the question of why copy these, but thats an imperfect measure.

cheers
drew p

Perhaps the first thing you should wonder is: Do you trust your vendor?

Dave,
you could send me 5 and I would test them for authenticity... :whistling:

What happened to "I'm never buying aged cigar ever again"?

:sign:

What happened to "I'm never buying aged cigar ever again"?

:sign:

I didn't buy these cigars, as you know, me being a citizen of a country with an embargo against that certain island country am prohibited from trading with the enemy.

:cool:

I am almost certain your box is legit. If you have any questions PM me.

Drewcali,

Did FR NISU box code run into 98' or was it only a 97' code? Also what's the consesous of 97-98'...I have been told to stay away from 99'.

Well, in a selfless act of trying to get a sample with a better stamp.... All I got was A stamp from 2000