• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Recommend Spyware Software for Mac OS X 10.4

Ginseng

Banned
Recently I've been getting the message "Your network settings have been changed by another application." This popup window comes up over and over again when I go to check network settings in System Preferences. This is new and unusual behavior.

Can you computer gurus out there recommend any effective software to check the system for spyware or malware? I know the Mac is less prone to be an attack target but the possibility of infection through attachments and other weird things is well beyond my ability to comprehend. In general, I exercise what I consider to be good web hygiene but perhaps I missed something subtle.

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Wilkey

What browser are you using? Most spyware comes through Internet Explorer's tie into the Windows Kernel. Safari, Firefox, Opera, Mozilla are all good alternatives to IE. That said I don't think I've ever heard of spyware on OS X. ClamAV is a great AV option for OS X. That said, I doubt this is spyware. You may want to check out this post elsewhere as it describes the behaviour you are experiencing and perhaps it is more likely this issue.

I'm using OSX 10.4.11 and Firefox 3.0.2 and am up to date on my Apple System Security Updates.

Thank you VERY much for that link! I never would have had the time or patience to pursue it to that degree. CP is so much more than just cigars.

Thanx, SyrLinus! :thumbs:

Wilkey

I'd buy LittleSnitch, an amazing program that watches all network activity in and out, it makes it easy to set rules for programs and is very intuitive. Also, don't forget to turn on your firewall in the security part of your system preferences.

Seems really unlikely that this is spyware or malware, Ginseng.

Seems really unlikely that this is spyware or malware, Ginseng.
Yeah, I got that much from SyrLinus' post. I also ran LittleSnitch for a while and could see nothing particularly suspicious.

Wilkey

Did you clicky on my linky?

C'mon...you know you want too!

:whistling:

-----------

It appears to be an Apple Update issue.
I see these types of problems in the PC world(that's why we wait for MS-updates to be proven before updating)!

Here's a more TECHIE thread.