• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Redford Humidor

Looks great!! I’ve been looking at these. How do you like it so far?
It's not bad. At first I was frustrated but I contacted the seller and explained my issues. It turned out I had to calibrate the humidity. They sent me detailed instructions. Once I did that it works just fine. However I filled the water reservoir with Heartfelt 69% humidity beads and didn't add any water. I then got the largest Boveda packs they have and put 5 inside. Now everything is spot on. I run it 66% humidity and 66 degrees.

It's not bad. At first I was frustrated but I contacted the seller and explained my issues. It turned out I had to calibrate the humidity. They sent me detailed instructions. Once I did that it works just fine. However I filled the water reservoir with Heartfelt 69% humidity beads and didn't add any water. I then got the largest Boveda packs they have and put 5 inside. Now everything is spot on. I run it 66% humidity and 66 degrees.
Curious, was the detailed instructions to turn the tiny micro screw on the sensor 1/4 turns +/- ?

Curious, was the detailed instructions to turn the tiny micro screw on the sensor 1/4 turns +/- ?
Yes. It took a few turns to get it dialed in. I got a tip from the internet to add humidity beads to the water reservoir. I did. I didn’t even add water to them. I put a Boveda Pack in each shelf and it all seems to be working fine.

Yes. It took a few turns to get it dialed in. I got a tip from the internet to add humidity beads to the water reservoir. I did. I didn’t even add water to them. I put a Boveda Pack in each shelf and it all seems to be working fine.
I have the larger Remington and had to do the same thing to get the humidity dial in properly. I find that trying to properly regulate humidity at the bottom of the unit is simply pointless. It tends to average 5-6 points higher than the top shelves. It is due to not having the ability to circulate the stagnant air at the bottom. I've had the humidor for a few years now and have outgrown it's storage capacity. I am currently having a larger custom humidor built with thermoelectric coolers and circulation fans throughout. The Remington will be up for sale when I receive the new humidor. The Remington has served me well, it's a great looking humidor and seals incredibly well. I do believe the weak link on these humidors is the climate control system.

I have the larger Remington and had to do the same thing to get the humidity dial in properly. I find that trying to properly regulate humidity at the bottom of the unit is simply pointless. It tends to average 5-6 points higher than the top shelves. It is due to not having the ability to circulate the stagnant air at the bottom. I've had the humidor for a few years now and have outgrown it's storage capacity. I am currently having a larger custom humidor built with thermoelectric coolers and circulation fans throughout. The Remington will be up for sale when I receive the new humidor. The Remington has served me well, it's a great looking humidor and seals incredibly well. I do believe the weak link on these humidors is the climate control system.
Glad to hear this. I’ve been on the fence about buying the Remington for some time now. My concern was that I couldn’t get all the shelves to lay flat for box storage, and not humidity regulation. It’s a nice looking piece though.
To the OP: Are you using silica beads or gel beads like in the Cigar Oasis Magna. I’m thinking the gel would be way more efficient.

I agree on the climate control being week. With that said by adding the boveda bags I've been able to average a temp of 65.5 and humidity of 70.0% for the past month. However that's having to add extra items which costs more money.

Glad to hear this. I’ve been on the fence about buying the Remington for some time now. My concern was that I couldn’t get all the shelves to lay flat for box storage, and not humidity regulation. It’s a nice looking piece though.
To the OP: Are you using silica beads or gel beads like in the Cigar Oasis Magna. I’m thinking the gel would be way more efficient.
I had the same problem with the angled shelves and not having the ability to store boxes flat. I ended up purchasing three flat shelves to replace the angled shelves. I purchased my humidor from "The E Bar", so I contacted Ben (owner) and he sold me the flat shelves that I needed for the Remington. It's a really good humidor, my problem may be that I have it so stuffed that this may be contributing to the air circulation issues.

I am using the heartfelt humidity beads 65% in combination with a 320g boveda pack on each shelf. Like I said before I didn't wet the humidity beads. I just allowed them to absorb moisture natural over time. I have 3 hygrometers now on the top middle and bottom shelves and they all read within 1-2 degrees and 1-2% of humidity among each other. I live in the Northeast and keep it in a finished part of my basement temperature can get down to 55. The unit runs often but after fine tuning it, its been averaging 65.5 degrees and 70% humidity. I have a sensor push inside so I can see the averages over time.

I agree on the climate control being week. With that said by adding the boveda bags I've been able to average a temp of 65.5 and humidity of 70.0% for the past month. However that's having to add extra items which costs more money.
The one thing that I have learned over the years living in the Midwest is that the climate settings need to be changed as the seasons change. The fall/winter I set it 66RH-67F, spring/summer months I set it at 64RH-67F.

The one thing that I have learned over the years living in the Midwest is that the climate settings need to be changed as the seasons change. The fall/winter I set it 66RH-67F, spring/summer months I set it at 64RH-67F.
That's a great point. I'm in the Northeast and have a basement so it is usually between 55-65 ambient temp. I keep the humidor set on 66 & 66.

That's a great point. I'm in the Northeast and have a basement so it is usually between 55-65 ambient temp. I keep the humidor set on 66 & 66.
From my experience the humidor works flawlessly when the ambient temperature in the room is between 67F-68F. In the fall and winter the humidor is performing at its best, the climate system is not constantly cycling through (heat, humidity, cooling) when doing this it is hard to get the unit to stabilize. What I have done when this occurs is to let the humidor get to a temp that is 3-4 points below my desired setting and then simply turn it off. By letting it sit idle for a few hours and because it holds a seal so well it tends to stabilize itself internally.

I just got the Remington. I’m concerned about the wood. It smells and looks more like cedar vs Spanish cedar.

Attachments

• 0CB046E6-FE87-40A9-89B5-14D5FBE70BA5.jpeg
    0CB046E6-FE87-40A9-89B5-14D5FBE70BA5.jpeg
    153.7 KB · Views: 4