• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Rental Cars and No Smoking Rules.

SKYDIVNEKD

Call me "Walt Kowalski"
I've called Avis, Budget, Enterprise and Hertz. All but Hertz have no smoking policies now! And Hertz said they have SOME smoking vehicles but they will not guarantee it. So, if I count on renting a smoker, and I get there and they don't have one, to tough for me! Then he proceeded to say, if I smoke in the non-smoker, I'll get dinged for a "detailing" fee, to clean the smell out. I didn't ask what the fee is but Enterprises fee is $75.00.

What a pi$$eer. :angry: Anyone know of a smoker friendly car rental place? I live in the Northern Kentucky/Southwest Ohio area. I may just get the best deal I can and count on paying the fee! Screw 'em!

Floyd T.

LINKY <---available at Home Depot and (probably) Walmart...and other stores!!!

I pick a bottle up when I arrive...and toss it out when I leave.

Mainly only use it on the last day...and at arrival outbound!
wink.gif

Floyd-

When I travel for work I carry a small pump spray of Febreeze.

This comes in handy for hotel rooms and rental cars. A few quick sprays before you leave and you are good to go.

Trust me the Febreeze comes in handy for some rooms before you light up.

The bottle is small enough to be carried on at the airport and you can refill it at home.

Hope this helps.

Al

How bout some of that famous NY taxicab air freshner? You know, the pine tree that hangs from the rear view. Stuff smells like crap, but you don't have to hang it until the day before you return the car.

Just drop a deuce in the car and you'll not have to worry about the cigar smell.

I've never rented a car but I just do the coffee bean trick in my own car whenever I'm planning on carting a few friends around.

For the price of what hertz probably charges for a days rental...it would probably be worth getting dinged for the detailing fee! lol

Hertz was the highest, for sure! :( Thanks for the input. I'm gonna go with the cheapest rental company, try some of the ideas above, and see what happens. If any of it works, after 24 hours driving/smoking, it'll have my endorsement for life! :thumbs: I'll let y'all how it turns out.

Floyd T.

Floyd!

I smoke in my rentals all the time. I will echo the febreeze but I really don't worry about it. Crack the window, don't ash in the car, and don't let the spent cigar sit in the car.

I travel quite a bit and always rent from Hertz. I have never been charged a smoking or detail fee. I have even had the cars with the no smoking stickers. I recommend just not smoking the day you return it and possibly the night before leaving the windows cracked. Like I said, never had an issue, knock on wood.

When I do smoke in my vehicle, aside from the Febreeze trick, I crack the windows and leave the AC off and leave the vent setting on when parked. Otherwise the smell stays in the AC system and is harder to remove.

Floyd!

I smoke in my rentals all the time. I will echo the febreeze but I really don't worry about it. Crack the window, don't ash in the car, and don't let the spent cigar sit in the car.

I like the frebreeze idea but I will still smoke except maybe the day before I turn it in. Then just make sure to leave the windows cracked and possibly drive some with the windows open. Also like mentioned earlier, dont leave the butts in the car and crack the windows will driving so it sucks the smoke out.

Just tip the guy $20 when you return the car.
Probably enough for him to forget about his sense of smell!

-Rob

The Significant Other is driving around in a rental from Enterprise because her Jeep is in the body shop. She said she wanted a non-smoker, but this thing was definitely smoked in before she picked it up.

Do what we're going to do - spray the thing with Febreeze and tell the company it smelled like that when you rented it.

This - Don't ash in the car

This - Don't let the spent cigar sit in the car

Buy THIS

This little gadget really works. I've been using it for almost a year.
Just plug it in when the car is parked overnight. :thumbs:

This - Don't ash in the car

This - Don't let the spent cigar sit in the car

Buy THIS

This little gadget really works. I've been using it for almost a year.
Just plug it in when the car is parked overnight. :thumbs:

Interesting. Looks like it plugs into the cigarette lighter. How does it work overnight if your car is turned off?

Interesting. Looks like it plugs into the cigarette lighter. How does it work overnight if your car is turned off?

There's usually at least one plug that's hot whether the car is running or not. May have to run a test to see which one is is, though. Hell, some new cars may not have any that are hot with the car not running... dunno.

-John

There's usually at least one plug that's hot whether the car is running or not. May have to run a test to see which one is is, though. Hell, some new cars may not have any that are hot with the car not running... dunno.

-John

All the cars and trucks I own have a hot plug in them. I think they call it an auxiliary outlet. ;)