• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Renting an RV

Gonz

Ultra Runner
Raise your hands if you've done this?

Doing a family trip out to San Francisco in June and thinking about renting an RV to drive up to Redwood National park, then back down to Yosemite. Probably 10 days total in the RV and a few days on either end in town. We've got a big race out there (Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon) and thought we'd turn it into an extended vacation.

I don't have any concerns about the actual act of driving/navigating an RV, more about the cost and if you felt it was a better experience than just getting a car and camping, or staying in hotels. Our kids enjoy camping and every time we take them they ask if we can get an RV.

Thanks for your input!

RV's are quite slow and handle poorly. I would recommend driving something else in the race.

I have an RV. I love it. If there is one thing I don't like about it, it's hooking up and unhooking water and sewer if you want to run to town (unless you are towing a car). Most of the time you are outside while camping. The only time it's busy inside is if the weather is a problem. We have traveled much. 8 1/2 MPG keeps us a little closer to home now. Very enjoyable for building family memories.

If only you knew someone in SF that could rent you a blimp for the race

My wife and I talked about this, when you factor the price of the RV, the extra fuel it'll use, and the campground fee's you'd come out way ahead getting a nice hotel with a pool and free breakfast and wireless internet.

True. I'll add, if we don't rent an RV, we've still got to rent a car for the 10 days to get around. That looks like it would be between $600-$800 by itself.

True. I'll add, if we don't rent an RV, we've still got to rent a car for the 10 days to get around. That looks like it would be between $600-$800 by itself.

I rented a Car from Avis using my costco card for $249 unlimited miles for 7 days last summer. Shop the prices that seems really high IMHO

I'm with Broblues. It should be a pretty memorable experience. Why not do it this once and see how it goes?

In my experience RVs are fantastic if you're driving somewhere and staying in one place for several days. If you're going to be moving around much, I'd recommend one of the smaller RV type vehicles, a tow behind, or just stay at a hotel.

There is something to be said for the experience, though. If you don't think you'll have the chance to do an "ideal" RV type trip in the future and the kids are excited about it, it may be worth the extra hassle. (And I say extra hassle as a 10 day road trip with kids is hassle enough on its own based on my summer vacation last year.)

The Robin Williams movie "RV" comes to mind. Enjoy it Andy, should be a fun time.

It's sort of a moot point if the sharks get you during the swim.

600-800 for a rental car for 10 days?

That's crazy- That's what I pay in Costa Rica and they have an absurd tax on rental cars.

What does an RV rent for?

If there are a lot of kids involved an RV would be nice. Gives them more room to be active while you are driving the family truckster, Go get Clark!!

We looked at this for the Key's a while back. It turned out to be alot less expensive to rent a car and a efficiency hotel room.

Unfortunately, R/V's are not cost effective until they are paid for. The problem is at about that same time......the R/V becomes a POS, and needs to be replaced. :)

Gonz - That should be an amazing family trip! Congrats and good luck with your endeavor... Should see some really beautiful views along the way.
Quick question if you don't mind me asking- where are you traveling from/ and what kind of route are you taking (scenic or quickest) ?

Gonz - That should be an amazing family trip! Congrats and good luck with your endeavor... Should see some really beautiful views along the way.
Quick question if you don't mind me asking- where are you traveling from/ and what kind of route are you taking (scenic or quickest) ?

Renting car and or RV

I'm thinking quickest, like 500 odd MPH at 35,000 feet. TSA rub-down on both ends.

We are in ours 100+ days a year. Do yourself a favor and stay at the RV park outsite of Yosemite. 1000 Trails. A beautiful park and only a few miles outside of Yosemite, and they have a nice river going through it. Also check out "Ancient Redwood RV Park" on the Avenue of the Giants in Redcrest.

Thanks for all the replies. We're heading out of San Francisco and probably up the PCH (is that the right acronym?) to Redwoods, then somehow back down to Yosemite. I called and it looks like they're starting to run low on the RV that would best fit our needs, so I'd better get this reserved asap. Should be a fun trip!