Rh drop when my wine fridge is running.

H311oLHD

Active Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2007
Messages
1,768
Hey guys,

I recently got a wineador and I'm going through some RH growing pains. When the fridge is not running it'll be at about 68%, but when it runs it'll drop to 45%. It doesn't run a lot, probably 3 times a day for about 10 min or less.

I have a compressor type cooling system.

I'm not sure if this drop in RH is okay, bad, ect.

Thanks in advance!
 

MichaelB

New Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2013
Messages
126
Unfortunately compressors will suck out the humidity from the wine fridge every time it runs, which is what you're experiencing. Thermoelectric wine fridges are recommended for a wineador. I can't imagine that the constant fluctuation in RH is good for your sticks. How long does it take to regain 68% RH?
 

extremeXconcepts

eXtreme Concepts
Joined
Jan 25, 2013
Messages
1,164
Yea when the compressor turns on it basically takes the air inside and creates its own atmosphere. And apparently your *perfect atmosphere* in your compressor is 45%. How to fix it?...... Not really sure, did you try google? or even calling a reputable appliance repair center? I also dont imagine that the fluctuation could be a good thing, unless it jumps right back with in a few minutes. If its running for 10 min at 45% and 5 min later its back to normal, then I dont think you have a problem. If it takes hrs to jump back, well you may. 
 

Kxthor911

Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2012
Messages
423
Also if you have your cigars in cedar boxes it could help the fluctuations within your cooler. But it they are out in the open it could be harder on them.
 

Tall Paul

"insecure little bitch"
Joined
May 11, 2011
Messages
9,405
extremeXconcepts said:
Yea when the compressor turns on it basically takes the air inside and creates its own atmosphere. And apparently your *perfect atmosphere* in your compressor is 45%. How to fix it?...... Not really sure, did you try google? or even calling a reputable appliance repair center? I also dont imagine that the fluctuation could be a good thing, unless it jumps right back with in a few minutes. If its running for 10 min at 45% and 5 min later its back to normal, then I dont think you have a problem. If it takes hrs to jump back, well you may. 
First a repair man will do you no good because there is nothing wrong with his "wine" fridge. The unit is made to keep a stock of wine at the proper tempature that is all. As for the "atmosphere" in the compressor that doesn't make sense. A refrigeration system is a dehumidifier simple as that. It is removing all the humidity that you are putting in. The thermo electric units don't have the same btu capacity as the compressor systems so it does not drop the humidity as drastic. However the thermo electric units will still drop the humidity. The simple answer is to not running the refrigeration system it is too strong for what your attempting. I would only use it in the summer when you really need it or set the temp high so it comes on for emergeny purpose only. Also the far of a drop in Rh I would say is bad and you are possibly sucking moisture out of the cigars when that unit runs.

Paul
 

chiefmd

Bone Fixer
Joined
Nov 28, 2011
Messages
1,796
I had to unplug mine due to this exact issue. In Houston I'm fine with beads and some random boveda packs placed inside.
 

extremeXconcepts

eXtreme Concepts
Joined
Jan 25, 2013
Messages
1,164
When I mentioned the repair shop, maybe I should of went into more detail. I didn't mean to fix it, I ment maybe they could explain it better, and also maybe there is a adjustment of more or less freon could be used to make the fluctuation less.
 

Tall Paul

"insecure little bitch"
Joined
May 11, 2011
Messages
9,405
extremeXconcepts said:
When I mentioned the repair shop, maybe I should of went into more detail. I didn't mean to fix it, I ment maybe they could explain it better, and also maybe there is a adjustment of more or less freon could be used to make the fluctuation less.
Understood but its not possible a refrigeration system like this is know as a hermetically sealed system that has a critical charge of refrigerant R134a. If there is the slightest difference in weight of R134a either more or less the system will not work properly at all! The system is simply to strong to do what he needs.

FYI they stopped manufacturing the "freon" aka CFC R12 in 1996 which was used in all house hold and commercial refrigeration systems. The now all run on refrigerate R134a. The term freon was linked to R12 so it is know longer used. The gas in HVAC/R systems these days are known as HFC or HCFC. Or Refrigerants in this case R134a is a HFC.

And that's your refrigeration lesson for today there will be a test at the end of the week! ;)

Paul
 

Tall Paul

"insecure little bitch"
Joined
May 11, 2011
Messages
9,405
2K6TBSS said:
Here is a good discussion on compressor vs. thermoelectric.
 
http://www.cigarpass.com/forumsipb/topic/57486-wine-cooler/
Hate to say it but even though there is some good info in that thread I would say there is a lot more false info stated there!
Just because you do HVAC & refrigeration stuff don't think you know anything Paul! :laugh:

Just trying to point people in the right direction. I may know very little about cigars a beer but I know a thing or two about this stuff... Lol
 

tomthirtysix

Wishing I was as cool as Phil
Joined
Dec 27, 2006
Messages
6,657
H311oLHD said:
Hey guys,

I recently got a wineador and I'm going through some RH growing pains. When the fridge is not running it'll be at about 68%, but when it runs it'll drop to 45%. It doesn't run a lot, probably 3 times a day for about 10 min or less.

I have a compressor type cooling system.

I'm not sure if this drop in RH is okay, bad, ect.

Thanks in advance!
 
 
After the fan kicks off, does the humidity stabilize? How long does it take?
 

extremeXconcepts

eXtreme Concepts
Joined
Jan 25, 2013
Messages
1,164
I work on cars for a living and yes I know the freon is 134 iys juwt habbit stuck in mechanics minds that's all sorry. Also with auto ac units we are able to control to a extent the temp with under or over charging a little in either direction. As far ad a fridge im not sure that's why it was just a idea. Tthanks for the info though. Learn something everyday.

Id listen to paul though lol
 

extremeXconcepts

eXtreme Concepts
Joined
Jan 25, 2013
Messages
1,164
wow sorry guys I just got home and I just re read my above post, HOLY SHIT did my phone mess that all up. Im sorry for that jumbled mess I attempted to write above.
 
All I can say is WOW. and Sorry, Im going to lay off the phone posting from now on.
 
Jeff
 

Tall Paul

"insecure little bitch"
Joined
May 11, 2011
Messages
9,405
thefatguy said:
Hey Paul, what about 410A?
Which is an HCFC that was supposed to take the place of R-22 which it has with most manufacturing companies. However R-410a is a high pressure refrigerant which the EPA is starting to make a fuss about since it is a danger to the technicians working on the systems. (Hooking gauges to a system thats running 500psi on a warm summer day will make you butt hole pucker up trust me) R22 and R-410a are used in air conditioning systems not refrigeration or let's say not your normal refrigeration systems. His appliance is R-134a as are all house hold refrigeration appliances these days!

extremeXconcepts said:
wow sorry guys I just got home and I just re read my above post, HOLY SHIT did my phone mess that all up. Im sorry for that jumbled mess I attempted to write above.
 
All I can say is WOW. and Sorry, Im going to lay off the phone posting from now on.
 
Jeff

I figured you were drinking early... lol
 

H311oLHD

Active Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2007
Messages
1,768
I decided to just unplug the fridge as I really don't need it for temp control.
 
Top