• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

RH dropping

Skinwalker

What cold be the problem if the RH is dropping in my humidor? I have a humidor with glass on the lid. Humidity started at around 68-70 and has dropped all the way to 60-62. I have made sure the Xikar crystal 100 humidifier is good. Cant seem to figure out whats going on or if i should even worry about it. Sticks smoke fine. My house temp stays at 69 with humidity maybe in the 40's.

Glass tops are known to not have the best seals, so it may be leaking humidity due to that. If that is the case, I know there have been a few threads that have addressed how to correct that, but I don't know which.

What cold be the problem if the RH is dropping in my humidor? I have a humidor with glass on the lid. Humidity started at around 68-70 and has dropped all the way to 60-62. I have made sure the Xikar crystal 100 humidifier is good. Cant seem to figure out whats going on or if i should even worry about it. Sticks smoke fine. My house temp stays at 69 with humidity maybe in the 40's.

How are you measuring RH?
Also, I recommend you ditch the xikar crystals and go with Boveda packs.

Your cigars are going to now spontaneously combust. Not good. Not good at all.

I'm certain you may find what you seek if you please use the search function on this forum. It has been addressed countless number of times.

Listen to Scap and Succubus.

I'm certain you will find your freaking out over nothing.

Did you check your hygrometer's accuracy? Did you calibrate it? Salt test. Is there direct sunlight or heater/hvac vents by your humidor? Do you now have less cigars or more space in it? You definitely could have a leak or a crappy humidor. It does happen. Honestly, stay the hell away from glass tops if they aren't Savoy by Ashton or Daniel Marshall. In this "hobby" sometimes you indeed get what you pay for.

Low ambient RH's, caused by AC in the summer and heat in the winter, can really drop the RH in your humidor. With an ambient RH in the 40's, that puts the pressure on the humidor seal and humidification device.

If you know your hygrometer is accurate (tested) and that you can trust it, I'd put a shot glass of distilled water in the humidor until the RH comes up to where you want it. When I had a desktop, I'd do that every winter when the forced air heat came on and the ambient RH dropped like a rock.

Lastly, a word about storage RH. Round up a hundred experienced cigar smokers and ask them what their preferred RH is. You'll get answers from 58 to 75+% RH. It is most certainly personal preference. Most guys will run between 60 and 70% which is where 65% came from. Anything above 70% and the risk of mold goes up exponentially. But, make no mistake, it's personal preference and only that. Run things where you like them.

Last edited:
Did you put more cigars in there?
Or is it empty?
The closer to full = usually better for consistency.

There's nothing funnier than a newb struggling with his humidor. It ain't rocket science, but it does take patients. Something new fellas don't seem to have an abundance of.

Doc

Also, be wise. The industry loves to make us consumers Nervous Nancy's, so they can sell us more "stuff".