• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Robusto vs. Toro

g-smoke

Silent but deadly
Just a recent observation...

Two smokes that I like very much are the Padilla 1932 and the Don Pepin Blue Label both in the robusto size (5 x 50). Last month I found good deals on both of these in the toro size (6 x 50) on cbid/joecigar and figured what the hell, it's the same ring gauge with an extra inch in length for good luck.

Since receiving the smokes, I've sampled maybe two from each box and found they both seemed a little less full-flavored/full-bodied than I remember the robustos. I usually smoke robustos because that's generally all the time I have to smoke. I have definitely experienced a difference in taste between ring gauges in the same line, e.g. between a lancero (my other favorite size) and a robusto. But I was surprised to see that the combination of same RG and extra length changed the flavor enough for me to notice.

Is this fairly normal, or do I just need to let these suckers rest for a little while longer?

FOG's correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it depends on the maker. For example, Pete Johnson thinks each cigar should represent its shape and have its own characteristics. Other makers think the whole line should taste the same.

Here's a link to an interview with Pete Johnson

Just my thoughts