• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Rocky Patel - Edge Maduro

mr.mac

It doesn't matter how many times I give this cigar a chance or how many I let rest 3+, 6+ months... this cigar SUCKS! :D Ever since I first heard about these, its been nothing but good... "It's the best $5 cigar on the market!". I have tried over and over again to put them in the bottom of my humi and forget about them, only to pull them back out at 4 months later and think, "This one must be ready now." Seriously, the one I lit up tonight tasted like a dirty ashtray. There were strange pieces of tobacco in my mouth... and that damn wrapper looks like its been dyed in shoe polish!

Never again guys. :angry:

Thanks for letting me vent. I hate it when I dedicate my precious smoking time to a cigar only to be greatly let down! Nothing sucks more than having a cigar in your ashtray thats only got an inch smoked on it...

On a positive note, I do think Rocky is a great guy and I love the Summer Collection '08! :blush:

mac

It doesn't matter how many times I give this cigar a chance or how many I let rest 3+, 6+ months... this cigar SUCKS! :D Ever since I first heard about these, its been nothing but good... "It's the best $5 cigar on the market!". I have tried over and over again to put them in the bottom of my humi and forget about them, only to pull them back out at 4 months later and think, "This one must be ready now." Seriously, the one I lit up tonight tasted like a dirty ashtray. There were strange pieces of tobacco in my mouth... and that damn wrapper looks like its been dyed in shoe polish!

Never again guys. :angry:

Thanks for letting me vent. I hate it when I dedicate my precious smoking time to a cigar only to be greatly let down! Nothing sucks more than having a cigar in your ashtray thats only got an inch smoked on it...

On a positive note, I do think Rocky is a great guy and I love the Summer Collection '08! :blush:

mac
I hear you mac, been there, experienced that....and all of us have at one time or another. I heard the same raving accolades about this stick as well, now I gotta' try one just to see for myself.

I feel the same way with PSD#4s...I bought a box 5-6 years ago and they taste like asphalt driveway to me. It's hard to get over the disappointment when you have such high expectations!

Ya' win some...ya' loose some. Great thing is that there are plenty more fish in the sea. The Edge maduro won't be your last cigar you think tastes like crap. :laugh:

Well Mac, If you would have had one a couple of years ago your tune would be changed. All of Rocky's blends to me have gone down hill. He is becoming too big for his britches. :angry: :angry:

Rocky is indeed a great guy but I have been less than quiet in saying that I am having doubts about the quality under his name. I am waiting until I see a good strong positive review from someone. When I see that then I will buy some again. But I will not be buying any until that happens.

The Edge Sumatra is outstanding. It is my go-to smoke whenever I'm not feeling like trying something new. I've probably smoked about 20 of them and haven't been disappointed yet.

While it isnt as great as the Sumatra, it's still not a bad smoke for me.

I also enjoyed the Decade, one of my faves for the year so far

I like the edge corojo better than the maduro. Just my .02 :D

While it isnt as great as the Sumatra, it's still not a bad smoke for me.

I also enjoyed the Decade, one of my faves for the year so far

I've heard that the sumatra is a good cigar. I know the Summer Blend has a sumatra wrapper on it... maybe not the same wraper, but a sumatra wrapper none the less. I also like the Decade. I don't think its a "95", but I did think it is a well balanced cigar that is constructed very well. As for the Edge Maduro... my opinion stays the same; "Never again!"

mac

IMO, Rocky has the tendency to put a lot of effort into the blend when he first releases a cigar, but forgets about quality once the initial hype is gone. I have had a number of exceptional Rocky's when first released (edge, OWR...) only to follow them up with disappointing examples a year plus after the initial offering. I'm amazed that the hype and praise persists for years after the blends turn to garbage.

I feel the same way with PSD#4s...I bought a box 5-6 years ago and they taste like asphalt driveway to me. It's hard to get over the disappointment when you have such high expectations!

Say it ain't so, your crushing my dream. I had that narrowed down to a finalist for my B-Day smoke. :0

Well Mac, If you would have had one a couple of years ago your tune would be changed. All of Rocky's blends to me have gone down hill. He is becoming too big for his britches. :angry: :angry:

IMO, Rocky has the tendency to put a lot of effort into the blend when he first releases a cigar, but forgets about quality once the initial hype is gone. I have had a number of exceptional Rocky's when first released (edge, OWR...) only to follow them up with disappointing examples a year plus after the initial offering. I'm amazed that the hype and praise persists for years after the blends turn to garbage.

Well stated. A few years ago, the Edge Maduro was a damn fine stick, particularly for the price. They've gone downhill lately and I think it's typical to Rocky's product. As nice of a guy as he is - one who I have had the pleasure of meeting on mutliple occasions - he opens with a bang, but as time goes by, the product quality tends to fizzle to a whimper.

Well stated. A few years ago, the Edge Maduro was a damn fine stick, particularly for the price. They've gone downhill lately and I think it's typical to Rocky's product. As nice of a guy as he is - one who I have had the pleasure of meeting on mutliple occasions - he opens with a bang, but as time goes by, the product quality tends to fizzle to a whimper.

Those three quotes cover it all too well.

IMO, Rocky has the tendency to put a lot of effort into the blend when he first releases a cigar, but forgets about quality once the initial hype is gone.

Well, that's not surprising, is it? He doesn't own any of his own production facilities. Tobacco's an agricultural product, and varies in quality and intensity over time; if no one from his organization revisits each blend periodically to adjust it to changing conditions, it's going to fall out of whack. Also, with joint ventures and production agreements, he loses some control over whether to "pull" a brand that's selling but falling short of quality expectations, as he did with the sungrown in the mid 2000's. Finally, if you release a lot of different blends, some are going to fall flat, not age as well as you expected or fail to make an impact with consumers, just by the law of averages; the same thing is happening with Pepin these days.

Sumatras are all good with me, as most know its my favorite right now. When I met Rocky at an event he got me to try one and I loved it.
He also said that they have stopped making the sumatra because they have no more leaf. Maybe thats why each and every sumatra I smoke is as good as the last.
They are getting harder and harder to find these days

Mr.mac all I can say is you need to try this site LINKEY you are going to need it :sign:

I haven't tried the Edge Maduro, but I have most of a box of Edge Corojo from November 2006. I smoked one last week and it turned into a tasty cigar, the power turned down a notch but was still there and the cigar was much better balanced.

Rocky's decade's are my go to stick when I feel like a mild cigar. I almost always smoke stronger cigars but when I feel like something mild the decade will hit the spot.

the same thing is happening with Pepin these days.

Say it ain't so! :(

Unfortunately I agree that Pepin's quality has been going down hill, fortunately I believe this is about to turn around. Most of Pepin's problems I believe were a result of him stretching himself out too thin and working on too many lines for other people. He has since started to focus more on his own cigars and I expect things should get better.

believe it or not, I'm that way about the Opus X!

Couldn't agree more. The last Opus I had was a serious disappointment. Now if I buy one, it sits in the humidor for a minimum of 2 years before I even think about touching it.

I got off work early today so i decided to light up one of my recent purchases. Well the edge sucked. Very bad. Its a beautiful cigar and it smells great, but there is no flavor. I took a pre light draw and got nothing but air. No flavor in the slightest. After an easy light things went downhill. The sad thing is i had high hopes for this budget beauty, but it failed every one of them. The damn thing could not burn straight to save its life. Chunks of unburnt wrapper fell on my lap. Being new to cigars i can not exactly pick out the subtleties that many of you guys do, but i can say this had none of them.

I was going to take some pics, but it is raining here and my iphone does not have a flash so no pics.