• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Rocky Patel Factory Selects

Saxjazzman

This thread will review:

Name: Rocky Patel Factory Selects (Robusto)
Size: 5.50 x 50
Wrapper: 5-Year aged Ecuadorian Sun-Grown Rosado Natural
Binder: NIC
Filler: 7-year aged NIC/DR
MSRP: 20 cigars in a bundle for $77.20
Price Payed: $46.95
Stated Strength: Full
Comments: This is supposed to be RP Sungrowns that did not make the cut to get boxed. They did not make the cut for supposedly cosmetic reasons. Claimed to have the same QC as all of RP cigars. These cigars have been aging in the humi for about 6 months.

For original thread discussion see Start Up Thread

To keep it standard, we would rate the cigars in three categories.

A) Appearance--How the cigar looks, how the pre-light smell is, the wrapper, etc.

B) Taste---How is the taste? Spicy, strong, bland, airball, etc. How did the taste progress, etc.

C) Construction---How did the cigar perform in terms of draw, burn, ash, etc.

To rate the cigars we would use a number from 5 to 10, 5 being one you would not even give Fidel to smoke and ten being a damm good cigar. The final rating number would be determined by the following:

A + B + (1.5)C divided by 3.5. This is similar to how Cigar Magazine does it but it is a little different. I realize that this is not perfect and there may be better ways but this would work also. Thanks for the reviews!!

For everyone doing this review, just an FYI, there are RP Factory Selects and RP Factory Seconds. I didn't realize there was 2 of them. They are the same blend, with the Selects being the better construction, and the Seconds being lower quality. I have never tried the actual original line of RP Sun Grown which these are from. My review is coming soon!

Edit: grammar

Thank you again to SJM for providing the goods and allowing me to do this…I did learn something in this journey…that how well a cigar is rolled and how long it has been aging makes a drastic impact on flavor-even within the same brand. Don’t judge a cigar having had only one.

I smoked my lot of 3 cigars. The first 2 were ok. I decided to do my review on the 3rd cigar and something happened…it was much better than the first two. So, for the purposes of allowing everyone else to make better informed decisions, I will annotate the differences within this review.

Rocky Patel Factory Selects (a 2nd of the RP Sungrown)

I smoked this gem at midnight by tiki torch and starlight with a light breeze to soften the warm night, and a sky that was streaked with clouds that reminded me of the Pirates ride at Disney. My drink was room temp distilled water to keep my palate honest.

A. Appearance: 8.75
The pre light aroma is very mild with awesome earthiness. I can’t stop smelling it! It is great! The wrapper looks enticing-though it has some veins, it looks silky and mildly oily. (The first 2 were not oily) The roll and cap are not perfect, overall it’s nice, but is worthy of the title ‘2nd’. The pre light draw is on the tight side with a mild/earthy and spicy taste. (In contrast, the first 2 were a loose draw)
RPFS.jpg

B. Taste: 8.75
Many thanks to Wilkey for his SCORE AND LIFT method of cutting, which I use almost exclusively now and did so with this cigar. The Light: Good Lord the aroma was awesome! Slightly sweet like nutmeg or clove (not a gross sweet). It had a cedary start which mellowed as the cigar progressed but remained evident. It also had a subtle pepperiness with a short, pleasant finish. I am not huge on pepper, but this was just right. It is full bodied but not overpowering. It is strong (nic) but not harsh. At this point I am bewildered because had I been blindfolded and asked if this were a Fuente or a Patel, I would have said Fuente! The aroma in the 2nd half has lost some sweetness and gotten stronger but is still pleasant overall. The flavor is getting more complex with some leather coming out. I had to put it down in the last third because I had borderline sweats coming on. (Cigars 1 and 2 did not have this much flavor, were much more peppery and somewhat harsh, I am thinking they were much younger due to the lack of oil on the wrapper. The flavors don’t seem to have melded yet.)

C. Construction/Performance: 8.5
The draw was a bit tight so the smoke volume was below average. (The first 2 had a loose draw and smoke vol. was average). The ash was a fine light gray, had a nice sharp burn and the ash fell at 2” where I already feel a slight buzz coming on. No touch ups required!
RPFSash.jpg

RPFSrazorburn.jpg

RPFSend.jpg

Final Score: A+B+(1.5)C/3.5=8.64

Final Thoughts: I’m sure I am letting the cat out of the bag by divulging this best kept secret. When you cannot wait to take the next puff, you know it is a good cigar. I also kept smelling my hands a good while after. For $2.50 a stick, this is one of the best bundle cigars I’ve ever had. SJM had them aging for 6 months and 2 of the 3 still weren’t ready. I would highly recommend buying a bundle or two if you are patient enough to let them sit for a year. These sell out quickly from Famous. This is my final review for SJM’s bundle challenge and of all 6 brands, this one is hands down my favorite. I will definitely be ordering some in the fall. Thank you SaxJazzMan for the experience!

This is my final review for SJM’s bundle challenge and of all 6 brands, this one is hands down my favorite. I will definitely be ordering some in the fall. Thank you SaxJazzMan for the experience!

Nice review. And thanks guys for letting the cat out of the bag. The RPSG is on of my favorites and now I'm going to be checking for stock every day on the Selects and Seconds. :thumbs:

Oh and I'm not so sure it's the cigar changing from smoke to smoke or us. It seems to me that there are a lot of factors that weigh into our enjoyment of a particular smoke. Your stress level, what you've had to eat, drink or smoke, time of day, I thank it all plays a part. Well that's my .02 anyway. :rolleyes:

Oh and I'm not so sure it's the cigar changing from smoke to smoke or us. It seems to me that there are a lot of factors that weigh into our enjoyment of a particular smoke. Your stress level, what you've had to eat, drink or smoke, time of day, I thank it all plays a part. Well that's my .02 anyway. :rolleyes:

While I agree with all of the above, I do not smoke more than one in any same day and the circumstances were the same with the cigars being smoked closely together. There was DEFINATELY something different from the the first 2 and the 3rd, I am very positive of that.

While I agree with all of the above, I do not smoke more than one in any same day and the circumstances were the same with the cigars being smoked closely together. There was DEFINATELY something different from the the first 2 and the 3rd, I am very positive of that.

I just re-read what I typed and it sounded kind of preachy to me. Sorry, didn't intend it that way.

I'm sure you're right about what you tasted I just wanted to interject that other factors weigh in when smoking also. Sorry if i sounded like an ass saying it.

Oh, mini review. I got a bundle of the RPSG FSPC's today and burned one in the yard. Very tasty, I enjoyed it as much as the Robusto.

Taking my ass to bed now. :D

I just re-read what I typed and it sounded kind of preachy to me. Sorry, didn't intend it that way.

I'm sure you're right about what you tasted I just wanted to interject that other factors weigh in when smoking also. Sorry if i sounded like an ass saying it.

Oh, mini review. I got a bundle of the RPSG FSPC's today and burned one in the yard. Very tasty, I enjoyed it as much as the Robusto.

Taking my ass to bed now. :D

Nice. Has anyone tried the toro size? Thoughts?

Heck... you can't beat that price. :whistling: I'll give the petit coronas a shot for $41.00.

Thanks for the reviews!

mr.mac

This was a great review with some great insights!! Thanks for the pictures. I do agree about letting the cat out of the bag. It really is a good bundle cigar and with the proper age, it is a great one. I hope that your reviews help others get an understanding about the surprizes that can be had with bundle cigars, both good and bad.

Picked up a bundle of the Petit Corona's (Factory Selects). The first couple I smoked were okay... but pretty freshly shipped as well. While they have only been in the humi for a couple of weeks, the one I smoked yesterday was much better. It was fantastically smooth and the finish was about as un-harsh as I've had. I was savoring the flavor and looking forward to these with a few months on them.

Thanks for the heads up. If it wasn't for this thread I wouldn't have had any clue... ???

mac

:whistling: :whistling: :whistling: Just waiting for my next cooler...then these pups are mine! :thumbs:

Great review guys..and thanks for lettin the cat out of the bag :D

Got a bundle last month after reading all the postive reviews on famous site. Very good deal!

This thread will review:

Name: Rocky Patel Factory Selects (Robusto)
Size: 5.50 x 50
Wrapper: 5-Year aged Ecuadorian Sun-Grown Rosado Natural
Binder: NIC
Filler: 7-year aged NIC/DR
MSRP: 20 cigars in a bundle for $77.20
Price Payed: $46.95
Stated Strength: Full
Comments: This is supposed to be RP Sungrowns that did not make the cut to get boxed. They did not make the cut for supposedly cosmetic reasons. Claimed to have the same QC as all of RP cigars. These cigars have been aging in the humi for about 6 months.

For original thread discussion see Start Up Thread

Sun Grown Fact Select Robusto BUND 20 Natural 5 1/2 x 50
In stock today FYI. :thumbs:

Sun Grown Fact Select Robusto BUND 20 Natural 5 1/2 x 50
In stock today FYI. :thumbs:

Yes. Yes they are. I just got 1 bundle so there is more for everyone else...

....no, not really, the wife would kill me if I spent too much on cigars right now with a new baby. :rolleyes:

Thanks for increasing the competition on one of my favorite every-day cigars! :laugh:

These are one of the better bundle deals out there, IMHO.

Nice reviews, SJM!

Good looking out! I just put my order in for 1 bundle. The petit coronas have been great, although I occaisonally get one that is not quite to my liking. It's weird, 4 great smokes, 1 not so great - and so on. I'm thinking that it might have to do with my taste for that particular day. ???

I am looking forward to trying the robustos though. I've heard they are great...

mac

One more thing I noticed just today. Famous now has several blends in this line. The one referred to here in the "Rocky Patel Sun Grown Select". Not to be confused with "Rocky Patel Selects Maduro" or "Rocky Patel Selects Corojo". I believe they are the Edge Seconds.

Steve

Smoked my first of the Robusto size today. Must say it was mighty fine!

I'm pretty sure that some down time will do these justice. I'm just not sure that I can wait...

mac

Smoked my first of the Robusto size today. Must say it was mighty fine!

I'm pretty sure that some down time will do these justice. I'm just not sure that I can wait...

mac
It was my experience that six months made them much better but then, month by month, they started losing the spicy quality. By the time they were over a year old, this was very noticeable.

Some may like it but I liked the "in your face" spiciness.

Steve