• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Rugby

I have mentioned on here a few times before that I was interested in trying out for Rugby. This spring I am finally in a position where I have the time to dedicate to it and finally the nerve to go and take the plunge. :laugh:

Currently I'm in the second week of practice. We practice twice a week on Tues/Thurs from 7-9 pm. Honestly before I went to the first practice, I knew that I was going to get smoked....I just didn't realize how bad. I stay in pretty decent shape, going to the gym at least 4 times a week, usually 5. Splitting that up with Lifting and doing cardio. But man, nothing could prepare me for the first practice. The cardio level these guys have is unreal. Even the bigger guys who I should be smoking in a foot race have been outlasting me in the distance runs. Crazyness I tell ya. :laugh:

The first night was obviously the worst. We did a bunch of line drills designed for conditioning. Up-downs, sprints, side steps, hill climb, etc. you name it, we were doing it. THEN, then it was time for a cool down 1 mile run. Fuggin barf man. I was like you have got to be kidding. Nope, every night at practice we follow up our conditioning with a mile run. But apparently to play this game you have to be in top cardio shape which is one of the things that I was looking forward to getting out of this sport.

I have a long ways to go to get up to that level of fitness and also learn the game, but I will report back with my progress and when I find out was position I will be playing.

E

Yeah I definitely almost puked the first day of rugby practice when I played years ago. Good luck!

You and I must have the same screw loose! I played a few years back.
you know what they say ... Play Rugby, Give BLOOD!
Best of luck! :D and bring superglue & Duct Tape, trust me. :0

Enjoy it. I have played rugby for decades and absolutely love it.

It's an awesome game though and don't think twice about your age. I've played with guys well into their 50s. Mind you, they were all toothless, completely psychotic and covered in "Business" and Stiff Little Fingers tatts, but still, they played.

What position are you going for? Brandon's favorite is hooker.

Nah, looseheads always work for me, LOL.

I'm just surprised you like 'em with their ears taped back. 'Course, since you're usually on the receiving end of things, I guess you got some pretty fierce earaches in yer time...so you learned to adapt by necessity. :sign:

It's an awesome game though and don't think twice about your age. I've played with guys well into their 50s. Mind you, they were all toothless, completely psychotic and covered in "Business" and Stiff Little Fingers tatts, but still, they played.

position??? Honestly I have no idea. I am currently around 205 lbs and I am starting to get my speed back. During the sprints last night I was beginning to be able to hang with the fast guys. At this point I'm just trying to get into shape and learn the game. Wherever the coach needs me is where I will play.

position??? Honestly I have no idea. I am currently around 205 lbs and I am starting to get my speed back. During the sprints last night I was beginning to be able to hang with the fast guys. At this point I'm just trying to get into shape and learn the game. Wherever the coach needs me is where I will play.

Of course. But, kinda figured you might have your eye on what/where you'd like to play and you'd like to be doing. Differences between hookers, props, etc.

Oh yeah, I hear ya, but honestly I'm so inexperienced that I really don't have a preference yet. I really don't think that I want to be a prop. Next week we are supposed to start splitting up between forwards and backs and move around a bit. I should be able to answer this question better then!

Cool thread. I played A side all through college. Taped my ears (I played lock) and used plenty of superglue over the seasons. Great fun. Just remember to tackle with your head up and remember that you aint got any pads on. LOL

Have fun!

Geoff

I take it you mean Rugby Union not Rugby league? They are slightly different, but both are great games. Rugby league is big in the north of England, Northern Australia and NZ (who are the current world cup holders). Union is more international ,but the Kiwis treat it like a national religion and having seen the All Blacks play, I can see why. I played rugby league throughout my school days and coached juniors for a few years.
The only advice I can give, is to go hard , grab a big handful of opposition testicles and get stuck in!

Pete

I take it you mean Rugby Union not Rugby league? They are slightly different, but both are great games. Rugby league is big in the north of England, Northern Australia and NZ (who are the current world cup holders). Union is more international ,but the Kiwis treat it like a national religion and having seen the All Blacks play, I can see why. I played rugby league throughout my school days and coached juniors for a few years.
The only advice I can give, is to go hard , grab a big handful of opposition testicles and get stuck in!

Pete

MUMMMMM Opposition Testicles........

Hey great thread, I've been playing Rugby for about 13 years. As much as practice is brutal, the games are fun and the best part is always after the game. You'll find rugby is very much a game played while waiting for the beer to get cold. Oh, and tight head prop is the way to go, it's where all the glory is, trust me... :whistling:

Enjoy,

Mike