• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

RyJ Churchill....

SKYDIVNEKD

Call me "Walt Kowalski"
I'm looking at a box from 2001, not sure right now what the box code is. Anyone have info on whether the 2001 year was a good one? Or what factory to stay away from? Any info is appreciated.

Floyd T.

I'm looking at a box from 2001, not sure right now what the box code is. Anyone have info on whether the 2001 year was a good one? Or what factory to stay away from? Any info is appreciated.

Floyd T.

That year is well known for having major quality problems. Tons of complaints of very tight and sometimes impossible to smoke. It is really hit or miss some people have found great deals but most of the people I know avoid them. I believe from 1999-2002 are called the shame years(I could be off a year or 2). I am sure 2001 was one of those years.

Depends on the price.

2001's can have issues but a friend had a box of these and they were great.

Well, it looks like it's a 1999 box. UDI CCUN, priced at $285ish. I know the '99's have had issues, so I may lay off and wait for a bit. Gibara Factory. Any info on this factory/quality?!

Floyd T.

Floyd, que paso amigo?! The Gibara factory is a provincial factory in Gibara, a small port town on the north east side, I believe in the Holguin province. As far as quality of this particular factory, I have no experience.

pembroke3355, I have found the first half of 2001 to be hit and miss and the last half of 2001 to be good. 2002 was fine, IMHO. With 05-08 being some of the best tobacco produced in a long time. IMO, of course.

As a side note, I would take a box of 06-07 over a box of 02-04 any day.

:D
Floyd, que paso amigo?! The Gibara factory is a provincial factory in Gibara, a small port town on the north east side, I believe in the Holguin province. As far as quality of this particular factory, I have no experience.

pembroke3355, I have found the first half of 2001 to be hit and miss and the last half of 2001 to be good. 2002 was fine, IMHO. With 05-08 being some of the best tobacco produced in a long time. IMO, of course.

As a side note, I would take a box of 06-07 over a box of 02-04 any day.

Is this THE Ninja? Aka: Stalker In Cincinnati!?!?! LMAO!! What's up?

Floyd T.

Aka: Stalker In Cincinnati!?!?! LMAO!!

BWWWAAAAAAAA!! I forgot all about that! I am really glad the law was on my side that day. lol :D

I am getting by. You coming to KY soon? IF not, I may have to make a stop in Cincy after one of my trips.

I bought two boxes of RyJ Churchills from 99 back when several Swiss stores had them on sale for rediculous prices. I haven't had any draw issues, but the cigars are hit and miss as far as flavor and satisfaction go. Would I buy more boxes at the sale price? Yes. Would I buy another box for $255? Probably not. If it was a 98 box, then definitely as the box of 98s I got from HK were some of the best RyJ Churchills I have ever smoked.

Floyd, I picked up a few boxes of these during last year's 2 for 1 blowout. I've gone through 2 boxes, one from '99, the other '01. Of the cigars I smoked, I think I've gotten a total of 3 tent pegs and another 5 that were very tight. I'm not sure of the ones handed out to friends; they all said that the cigars were great, but you never know if they were just being nice. I think I might still have one of the empty boxes and I can look up the actual box codes when I get back to Tucson, if you want. At $125 or so, they were a great deal. For $285, I think I'd rather get a recent box and not have to wonder about the quality.

Thanks for the intel, guys. I'm checking on some of the 04-06 boxes Ninja was referring to. I hate to spend money and have a stick turn into the "tent spike"! :angry: Yea, that sux. I had a couple Sir Winstons do that to me. I was pissed!!!

Ninja, I live in KY, dingbat! So I'm already here. You prolly mean Louisville. Let me know when you're back around and we can get up. Have you set up residence in Cuba yet???? ;)

Floyd T.

LOL. Sorry Floyd, but you are so close to Cincy you have become associated with it. hehe I should have said, central kentucky.

As far as the Cuba thing... I have been pulling back a bit lately. ;)

Email me your number. It is not in my book for some dang reason.

As many have said on here, 1999-2001 were the biggest hit or miss years, due to the bigger factories experimenting with a leaf they dubbed "Habano 2000". These tend to be the ones most commonly sold on the "fire sales". With that said, RyJ Churchills tend to age nicely when stored properly.
I have some 97s that are smoking nicely.