• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

San Cristobal de La Habana

atuck

ANEJORE
I am getting tired of cigars like this. I have smoked a few of this line and liked them very much. Today I went to grab one of the Oficios and it was plugged, so I put it back. I then grabbed a Muralla, a little bigger than I wanted but I was in the mood for this flavor profile. The draw seemed good on this stick. When I lit the cigar I was able to draw fine accept not much smoke was coming through, this makes for an unpleasant flavor. I kept trying though. The burn was very uneven with red cherry all the way through the inch or so that had burned. A lot of smoke was coming from the wrong end! More was going in the air than in my mouth. Not happy, I decide to cut the cherry off and re-light. It seemed to do better for a while and the burn was now straight. Now the wrapper starts to crack! I keep puffing. Kind of like puffing on a pipe in order to get smoke in my mouth. As I peeled off part of the loose wrapper I notice folds along the sides of the cigar. WTF? These were expanding and splitting the wrapper. I have never seen folds to this extent on a binder before, many little "folds", yes, but never 2 big ones. At this point I toss it in the ashtray!

I know my humidor is keeping them in the right conditions, so I would think that I would not be coming accross so many problems with the ISOMs. 1 out of every 5 or 6 have some kind of issue, usually being plugged.

Here are some pics of it.
gallery_1883_989_211109.jpg

gallery_1883_989_485799.jpg

gallery_1883_989_60396.jpg

Mine split like that if I'm outside in cooler weather. Makes winter smoking almost non-existent.

At least when a Rocky Patel does this you can shrug, say WTF, and grab another without worrying about being out a lot of money. ;)

That cigar line is one of my favorites. I only smoke them at the Casa however and if I'm not happy about how a cigar is performing I tell the staff and demand another. I also am able to draw test each cigar I plan on smoking and if its plugged I do the same.

One of the benefits of living over here I guess.

I had basically the same deal with one I smoked not long ago Alan. Very little smoke would come through for the first third, but then finally opened up further in.

It's a shame how construction issues can ruin an otherwise good cigar. Bad experiences can put you off an entire marca for a while. Hope your next cigar smokes better!

A bad streak of luck atuck, first the RP's now the San Cristobal. From my limited experience with this marca no problems, but I've never attempted to smoke them in a cold dry climate.

A bad streak of luck atuck, first the RP's now the San Cristobal. From my limited experience with this marca no problems, but I've never attempted to smoke them in a cold dry climate.

I gave up on the RP's long ago. I have never had a problem with this brand before either. Today was a fairly nice day, atleast in the morning when I smoked this. I am sure the problem is related to the sloppy construction of this stick in particular. I think most of the plugged cigars are plugged due to construction, too much tobacco shoved into the press! I have compared the weight of plugged vs. non-plugged. The plugged cigars weigh more. Not by much though. I have a "special" scale! ;) :laugh: