• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Scotch Recommendations

cabaiguan juan

Vote Panda 2024
Now that it’s getting colder I’m interested in moving into trying some scotches. I do not know much about scotch but I do know that I like scotches with some level of peat or smokiness to them once it gets cold. I have had Lagavulin 10 and Bowmore 12 or 15 and have enjoyed them so I need your help in building a shopping list for this winter. Please recommend me some scotches under $100 for me to look out for, for this winter. Thanks in advance.

Bowmore Darkest
Ardbeg Uigeadall
Balvenie Caribbean Cask
Aberlour A'bunadh
Glenmorangie Nectar d'Or

Those are some of my favorites for under $100. Most are under $50.

Now that it’s getting colder I’m interested in moving into trying some scotches. I do not know much about scotch but I do know that I like scotches with some level of peat or smokiness to them once it gets cold. I have had Lagavulin 10 and Bowmore 12 or 15 and have enjoyed them so I need your help in building a shopping list for this winter. Please recommend me some scotches under $100 for me to look out for, for this winter. Thanks in advance.
Hey! Welcome. You should join one of our Vherfs and we can help recommend some then as there are several guys in there that like scotch.
Hope to see you then!

Laphroig and Ardberg come to mind. I’ve not actually had the Ardberg and as a disclaimer I don’t enjoy the campfire flavor as I’m having a drink.

Damn Jon, now I’m going to be spending some money based on these recommendations

Last edited:
Just like trying to find your favorite cigar, that's a very complicated question - one man's favorite is another's disaster...

I would start out "light" and go from there. One of the first Scotch's I came to enjoy (cased on AVB's suggestions) was the Craggenmore 12 yr - it's a Speyside Scotch that is relatively light and citrusy. Right now it's selling for about $70-80 a bottle.

On the "light" side I've come to also like the Bruichladdich Classic Laddie. It's an Islay un-peated Scotch that is just a tad bit more complex than the Craggenmore. It's a wee bit cheaper ($55-70 range) and is a great expression of a "true" Islay Scotch. I'm hooked on the Bruichladdich Dark Art, though is very costly ($500). Like it's younger brother "Classic Laddie", it's simple, elegant and complex. And it's no wonder it's over $400 more than it's younger brother - although I really don't mind drinking the Classic Laddie if I'm looking for a good dram of Scotch!

Recently I've been sampling the Trader Joe's Scotch's. They have three "double maturation" Highland Scotch's they're selling in the $17-19 range - a Sherry Cask, Rum Barrel and Bourbon Barrel finished. All three have different characteristics, but for the money they are a great Scotch that is very reasonably priced. Again - pretty "light" (unpeated) and I'm fairly certain they are Grangestone (sure taste like it to me). Given Grangestone sells for about $30 - the price of the Trader Joe's is a bargain!

If you want to venture into the more "deep" side of Scotch (generally pairs well with a cigar - I really like the Dalmore 12 yr ($60ish), but especially the Dalmore Cigar Malt Reserve. They are Highlands Scotch's that are a bit more complex in flavor. I know the Cigar Malt Reserve is a bit out of your price range ($160ish) but it beats the King Alexander in price ($300ish). I'm a HUGE fan of King Alexander.

And then there is Bruichladdich Port Charlotte - one of my absolute favorite "heavily peated" Scotch's. I love the company, their product and their link to Islay. Their story is amazing, and their total commitment to producing the best Islay Scotch's is admirable. They completely believe in hand crafting, and it shows in the Scotch's they produce. The Port Charlotte 10 yr is the most reasonable (at about $70-80), but their other Port Charlotte expressions are even better than the 10 yr. And if you can afford it - the Octomore is incredible - it is cask strength, so drinking it neat can be a bit rough - but it smooths out amazingly well with one piece of ice to "open it up".

These are my suggestions - but the journey is all yours! What I like might not be what you like. But I'd like to think I'm at least "middle of the road". Good luck and happy hunting!

Talisker would be a good one to try.

Did not see any mention of Oban, the 14yr west highland is very nice and a great starter scotch. It is available in a few different single malts.

Doing a bit of research on the regions of scotch may help you narrow down your taste preference.
I love many scotch expressions however, I find I like the Islay the most. A bit if salt and typically more peat.

Ardbeg as mentioned previously is a intense heavily peated experience. It is a personal favorite of mine. Maybe steer clear of wee beastie for now lol.

If you have a bar nearby (or a friend) that has a selection of scotch I would say try before you buy if you can. I find scotch is available in such a variety of flavor profiles it can be hard to choose.

Peated:

Lavagulin 16
Ardbeg 10
Ardbeg Uigeadail
Ardbeg AN Oa
Laphroaig 10
Laphroaig Quarter Cask
Laphroiag Triple Wood
Caol Ila 12
Port Charlotte 10
Talisker 10
Talisker Skye
Big Peat (Douglas Laing)
Smokehead (various)
Bowmore 12&15

Octomore if you ever want a 'fancy' bottle - expensive as usually starting around 200

Connemarra is a lightly peated Irish if you want to try something different.

Others:

Glenfarclas Heritage (Cask strength) - Very nice sherry bomb. 120 proof, but drinks fairly easy. *Hard to find* Newer alternative is the Glenfarclas 101

Dalwhinnie 15 - Very sweet and light. Floral and honey are dominant

Glendronach 12 - Sherry dominate with a good medium bodied mouth feel.

Glenfiddch/Glenlivet are other light and sweet alternatives

Personally I'm loving Turkey Rare Breed and JD Single Barrel 100 proof atm but obv they're not scotch!

I'm based in France, so some of these may not be available to you/over budget.

Peated:

Lavagulin 16
Ardbeg 10
Ardbeg Uigeadail
Ardbeg AN Oa
Laphroaig 10
Laphroaig Quarter Cask
Laphroiag Triple Wood
Caol Ila 12
Port Charlotte 10
Talisker 10
Talisker Skye
Big Peat (Douglas Laing)
Smokehead (various)
Bowmore 12&15

Octomore if you ever want a 'fancy' bottle - expensive as usually starting around 200

Others:

Glenfarclas Heritage (Cask strength) - Very nice sherry bomb. 120 proof, but drinks fairly easy. *Hard to find* Newer alternative is the Glenfarclas 101

Personally I'm loving Turkey Rare Breed and JD Single Barrel 100 proof atm but obv they're not scotch!

Yes to all, looks like you know your way around a bottle!

I do indeed, just have to ask the glass recycling place 😂

Another good one is Ardbeg Wee Beastie. Being young it's got a little more bite then the 10.

Peated:

Lavagulin 16
Ardbeg 10
Ardbeg Uigeadail
Ardbeg AN Oa
Laphroaig 10
Laphroaig Quarter Cask
Laphroiag Triple Wood
Caol Ila 12
Port Charlotte 10
Talisker 10
Talisker Skye
Big Peat (Douglas Laing)
Smokehead (various)
Bowmore 12&15

Others:

Thank you! I just printed up your list. I have had some of the ones you listed, such as Bowmore 12 (really enjoyed), Laphroig 10 (a staple for me during the winter time) and Ardbeg 10 (which was Okay, but not my favorite).

Uigeadail is a bit softer and sweeter. Quarter Cask is lovely, big improvement over the standard 10 imo. We only get the 10 at 40% abv for some reason. Lavagulin 16 is a classic. Hard to find here. Sells out immediately normally.

Talisker Skye is very medicinal. I didn't like it to begin with, but it grew on me. Wouldnt buy it at full price again. On offer... Maybe. Certainly one to try before you buy if you can.

Caol Ila I drink a lot of as its readily available at the supermarket along with Laphroiag 10.