• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Search is Your Friend Newb (5th Anni Contest)

Smokin'Sims

Gettin' my nerd on, Hopp Schwiez!
My 5th anniversary on CP is coming up on the 20th of this month. To celebrate, I'm having a contest. This is open to all newbs who have joined between Feb 20th 2012 and 2013. The winner will receive a nice 5er of cigars and sharpen their search skills (I hope). Normal limitations of no asshattery apply.This will run until Feb 20th or until all questions are answered successfully. All questions are worth one point. In the event that there are no winners before the deadline and a tie in the highest score, winner will be determined by a random draw of the tying parties. Buena Suerte!

1) For which CP member’s birthday was this image used?
nigel_638.jpg

2) With whom was my first herf?

3) What is one of Ray’s top smokes?

4) Name 4 people I met at a beer festival in the Chicago
area.

5) How did I win a few cigars at the Texas Cigar Festival?

6) What is the most western part of the US I have been?

7) Who hosted the first pass in which I participated?

8) Who was "called out" into finally posting an intro?

9) Which member sent another a safe as a bomb, and who was
the recipient?

10) Who inspired this search contest?

Smokin'Sims said:
My 5th anniversary on CP is coming up on the 20th of this month. To celebrate, I'm having a contest. This is open to all newbs who have joined between Feb 20th 2012 and 2013. The winner will receive a nice 5er of cigars and sharpen their search skills (I hope). Normal limitations of no asshattery apply.This will run until Feb 20th or until all questions are answered successfully. All questions are worth one point. In the event that there are no winners before the deadline and a tie in the highest score, winner will be determined by a random draw of the tying parties. Buena Suerte!

nigel_638.jpg

Definitely don't have patience to search for all 10...but #1 looks like Souldog's Bday thread

Sweet! Thanks for the contest! I just saw this as I'm off to bed but will definitely be at it in the a.m....hope no-one else sees this in the meantime :)

I failed to mention one guess per person per day in the rules.

Awesome Contest !! I love when there is some 'search'ing involved.
Thanks for the opportunity and good luck everyone.  :thumbs:

Also, WTF is with the picture ?  :laugh:

Smokin'Sims said:

nigel_638.jpg

souldog

souldog unless you actually herfed with Calewis in the Northern Mississippi herf which you didn't reply that you did

I'm too much of a noob to know who Ray is....give me more info and i might be able to get this one.

area.

DenverDog, TKoepp, AlexGTP, ibqtee1

in my search you didn't go to the Texas Cigar Festival........

alaska

jonsey

I found 2 kappa193 and in2xshp

the recipient?

beyond the band to tallpaul 

2k6tbss

Smokin'Sims said:

nigel_638.jpg

Souldog Feb 27, 2009 Posted by you

Les Nessman Memphis May 2009

Opus X

area.
Dark Lord Day 2009
Denverdog, Alexgtp, Sac, Carps, IBQTEE1

Trick question: "I won't be able to make it. Between taxes and some things that broke around the house, our traveling budget got shot."

Alaska

jonesy July 2008

kappa193 by Insight

the recipient?

April 19, 2012 Beyond the Band, Tall Paul

Souldog

My first round is in....

(edited to add the date for #9)

Congrats on the big anni, good contest, hope ur doin' well!

Both have 3 right and one is partially right. I'm looking for something more specific. As a slight hint, you may have to delve deeper into the CP history to find some answers. More hints may come as we progress.

Congrats on the Anni James, and thanks for the contest!

I know some and I will accept bribes...

Congrats on the anny James.

Paul

I am surprised more people have not been participating...I can understand that it takes a little time with these Q&A contests, but I can assure you NEWBs, your efforts do not go over looked, and mostly all of the time - the prize is well worth it. 

Keep up the great work gentlemen, and don't be discouraged... :thumbs:

Congratulations on the anniversary.

Another facet of these sorts of contests is that even though it doesn't make your current time in service here any longer, those who take the time to search for the solutions to these questions usually learn an awful lot about the history of CP and why some things are the way they are/aren't the way they aren't, and why some people are just grouchy old curmudgeons.  ;)

I've tried participating in a few search-based contests in my short time here, and thrown in the towel on probably twice as many.  However, I think I learned something (both about CP and cigars, in general) every single time I hit the "search" button.

Good Luck!

kann said:
Congratulations on the anniversary.

Another facet of these sorts of contests is that even though it doesn't make your current time in service here any longer, those who take the time to search for the solutions to these questions usually learn an awful lot about the history of CP and why some things are the way they are/aren't the way they aren't, and why some people are just grouchy old curmudgeons.   ;)

I've tried participating in a few search-based contests in my short time here, and thrown in the towel on probably twice as many.  However, I think I learned something (both about CP and cigars, in general) every single time I hit the "search" button.

Good Luck!

i will say that a couple of the threads that i read to get the answers that i did were pretty funny.

finding those answers took a while and after only getting 3 I'm not sure that i can come up with the others without help.  

Thanks for the encouragement! I did try to find different answers right after seeing there were only 3 correct but didn't have any luck. I haven't had much free time after that to search but can hopefully try again tomorrow.

You should try Ray's Impossible Trivia contest.

Another aspect and goal of this contest is to have you see some of the older history of CP. Many times when I search I look at the first few answers and don't go much further. Many of these answers are from old post. Some even pre-date my arrival. I think it is important to have some knowledge of things that have happened before to gain some insight into why things are the way they are. To that end, I'll add two more questions, then give some hints.

11. Who is #1 and #2?
12. What is the Pembroke rule?

Hints. In no particular order with respect to questions:

1. You have already found the thread to answer one of your questions.
2. I was involved in "Calling out" this member of the Houston Crew.
3. For number 5 you could also guess the 3 CP members I won the stick from.
4. I used favorite as an equivalent to best ever, perhaps not the best choice of words. This is also bomb related.
5. I've also been to Hawaii and not all parts of Alaska are further west than Hawaii.
6. Things have happened repeatedly around here, such as the Little Boy concrete bomb, you have found the latest installment of something that happened before.
7. Dig deep into my history to find some answers. You can use the date filter to help.