• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Season or not?

chris14001

Hey guys just bought a humidor tower. I actually read the getting started packet and it says not to rub down the inside of the tower with any substance. It says to just place your humidification device in and let it charge the humidor it self??? Has anyone else done this, or heard of doing it this way??? :whistling: Thanks for your input

I purchased my tower in the summertime in Houston and the RH was about 70% inside when I got it. No seasoning and no problems.

I have a Verona tower and I did wipe down everything. Many people say you will warp the wood but you would have to give it a good wetdown to do that.

I believe a light pass over should be fine. That's just IMO

I purchased my tower in the summertime in Houston and the RH was about 70% inside when I got it. No seasoning and no problems.

ok cool

I have a Verona tower and I did wipe down everything. Many people say you will warp the wood but you would have to give it a good wetdown to do that.

I believe a light pass over should be fine. That's just IMO

I understand that! I have 3 desktop humidors and have done that wit all of them. But this paticular one said NOT to do so

I'd leave it be with a humidity device and see what happens.... if it stays at a low humidity for a while, maybe put some extra shot glasses with distilled water in it.... if that doesn't work, I'd try a light mist of water or a light wipedown...

Just personal thought...

I have a hydra lg in there and its keeping at 70% rh!!! So lets see what happens!

You don't NEED to wipe down any humidor. This is a "shortcut" to speed up the seasoning process. That being said, I doubt a damp sponge would hurt it.

But if you're in no hurry, just let it sit for a week or so until it stabilizes slightly above your desired RH.

I'm envious! :D

I've wiped down both my desktops and my cabinet, no issues. Dumb luck perhaps. Some state it may warp and/or raise the grain. The reason I like lightly wipping down a NEW 'dor with distilled H20 is that sometimes there's a fair amount of dust remaining from the sanding process.

I would follow the instructions. They wrote it that way for a reason.
Let the wood absorb moisture from the humidification devices at its own rate.
If you shock the wood with too much water, it could cause problems.
Also, if it is a veneer, you can create other problems.

This is one of my favorite seasoning rubs.
img75m.jpg

I've also wiped my humidors down without an issue. This last time I didn't even have to do a thing for my 3k humidor. It sat in a storage shed from June till Oct/Nov time frame. I opened the door and it was still sitting around 65% humidity. Gotta love the humidity down near the coast. :thumbs: