• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Serious post about habitual formation

Thoughts

Forehead wrinkle king
So, I am wanting to start working out in the morning time. My girls get up at 6:30 in the morning time, so that leaves me 545 to 6 o’clock to get up and start working out in the morning time. I am a night owl, as my previous night shifts have curved me, so that makes it difficult for an early bedtime. Also, that is when me and my wife talked the most so canceling that is out of the question. 2300-2330 at the best.

The people that have been in a similar situation, how do you get yourself up in the morning and going when you are used to sleeping longer? Side note, I don’t care if you’re ‘up at that time anyway cause you can’t sleep.’ I can sleep and I like to sleep. That aside, I’m trying to sleep less to relieve stress more. Thanks!

Is that the "only" time your life permits dedication to stress relief?

I am a morning person and by end of day I have lost all drive, motivation, and creativity. So, I had to find a way to write management reports first thing in the morning, even if it meant 4:30 AM. Conversely, I would rather slam my dick in a car door than work out for the sake of exercise, so I find ways to be active and get some cardio from normal daily routine.

That, and getting rid of the wife freed up a lot of time.;)

getting rid of the wife freed up a lot of time.;)
I don't think this is an option for Brad... LOL No way I am paying for or taking the time to go to the gym... With that said only thing that works for me is to get on the same schedule as the wife and run and walk with her. It's great exercise and time spent with her, so it kills two birds with one "stone" or in my case a ranch dressing bottle... I will have to tell you that story sometime...

I'm up at 0500 when I'm in the office. What I can't do is get up early one day, and sleep in the next. I usually sleep in on the weekends and drag my dead ass out of bed early Monday AM. If you try to stick to a schedule with adequate sleep, you'll be fine.

The best way is to have a commitment buddy, someone who will hold you to it. If it's left up to our own choices, we'll chose to sleep in everytime. That being said, once you've started and it's starting to become a habit, then it becomes easier. Then you can start holding others accountable.

@Thoughts Can't tell you what will work for others but for me I have to get up early, about 5 to 5:30 AM. Get a quick coffee, a shower, and off to the gym. If I don't get my workout done early, then I don't get a workout in at all. That's just me though. It has to be early, and that early workout translates into a much better day for me; physically & attitude also.

@jfields Transalation: Individual is allergic to humans in general

I don't think this is an option for Brad... LOL No way I am paying for or taking the time to go to the gym... With that said only thing that works for me is to get on the same schedule as the wife and run and walk with her. It's great exercise and time spent with her, so it kills two birds with one "stone" or in my case a ranch dressing bottle... I will have to tell you that story sometime...
Love to hear that one!

What sort of exercise are you looking to start doing? Running? Weights? Will you have to travel to get to wherever you exercise? How long are you planning on for each morning?

*EDIT* For several years I woke at 0130 to go to the gym, for reasons... The questions have relevance.

My problem is working all night, then getting a little sleep in the morning. I started the P90X last week, and have been doing it around 10:00 pm every night. It is actually helpful in keeping me awake to work with the programmers. I work out, take a shower, then drink a bunch of water. That keeps me going until around 6 am. Then I crash. Said this before, the hardest part of working out is going downstairs to the gym (showing up)... once I am there, it is fine.

My problem is working all night, then getting a little sleep in the morning. I started the P90X last week, and have been doing it around 10:00 pm every night. It is actually helpful in keeping me awake to work with the programmers. I work out, take a shower, then drink a bunch of water. That keeps me going until around 6 am. Then I crash. Said this before, the hardest part of working out is going downstairs to the gym (showing up)... once I am there, it is fine.

Exactly -- hardest part is actually showing up. Once those endorphins start flowing...

I just set an alarm..but I’m simple like that. If you want, you can borrow my cat. He starts waking you up about 5-5:15 every morning. Essentially anything you leave on a nightstand is fair game and he will commence with knocking stuff off to annoy you. Sure you can hide it, but then he starts opening drawers, banging on window shades, spilling water, attacking your feet if they twitch at all. And yelling, the constant yelling.

All this because he wants breakfast. God forbid you don’t give him the flavor of fancy feast he wants. Even if you do, he often requires an “audience” so as to prove he is eating.

But this is all the motivation anyone needs, just to get him to shut the hell up!

Showing up is certainly 50% of the process.
I have been telling folks at the gym for 15 years just getting there is the hard part.
No excuses ..............

I just set an alarm..but I’m simple like that. If you want, you can borrow my cat. He starts waking you up about 5-5:15 every morning. Essentially anything you leave on a nightstand is fair game and he will commence with knocking stuff off to annoy you. Sure you can hide it, but then he starts opening drawers, banging on window shades, spilling water, attacking your feet if they twitch at all. And yelling, the constant yelling.

All this because he wants breakfast. God forbid you don’t give him the flavor of fancy feast he wants. Even if you do, he often requires an “audience” so as to prove he is eating.

But this is all the motivation anyone needs, just to get him to shut the hell up!

Damn, I thought our cat was the only one who did that! I hate that animal.

For five years or so, I got up at 5:00 every day and hiked 5 miles in a local preserve, as long as the weather permitted (8-9 months). My motivation was, I loved hiking in the mornings. The sun starting through the trees, the quiet, the birds, etc. And then I was fit enough so, on weekends etc., I could do 10-12 mile hikes up in the hills. Which I loved. A series of injuries (torn achilles, shin splints) slowed me down, and I hate that (I pushed too hard). But to me, it has to be a reason I enjoy before I'm gonna drag my ass outa bed that early. Now, I just sleep. And get fatter. I hate "gyms" with a passion.

What sort of exercise are you looking to start doing? Running? Weights? Will you have to travel to get to wherever you exercise? How long are you planning on for each morning?

*EDIT* For several years I woke at 0130 to go to the gym, for reasons... The questions have relevance.
I've got some thoracic spine problems lately, just aching constantly usually. Noticed my posture was not good either. Have been trying to strengthen my thoracic spine with rowing and some weighted exercises I can do at home. I am hoping to start there then work up towards heading to the gym that is 5 minutes from work and 12 minutes from the house.

Sleep is as important as exercise for long term well being. Seek balance.

I've got some thoracic spine problems lately, just aching constantly usually. Noticed my posture was not good either. Have been trying to strengthen my thoracic spine with rowing and some weighted exercises I can do at home. I am hoping to start there then work up towards heading to the gym that is 5 minutes from work and 12 minutes from the house.

Interesting thing about the posture. I found that during all this time at home, and less bothersome people at work that I spent a lot of time sitting differently and bending my neck differently for long periods of time, primarily looking at my phone.

Was having different back and neck pain which led me to a different pillow which was NOT the answer..in fact the opposite. So I made some changes to be more conscious about everything and it truly helped. Lately I’ve been having more issues that align with carpal tunnel but I’ve been able to get that to subside for the last couple days.