• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Serious Question - Getting foot of cigar too wet from lips

dcpeters

You might think I'm nuts (as most people do) but, in all seriousness, I have a question for anyone who might offer their opinions. I've been smoking cigars regularly for about five years. I have never been able to smoke without getting the head (sorry. I put foot first, on accident) completely wet with saliva. I know this isn't the norm for many who smoke cigarettes as people who "take a drag" don't like this, I don't smoke cigarettes, by the way. I was just wondering if anyone has done this, had a problem with this, or if there is any particular way to stop this. I've been worried about it, for some reason, and can't find information online. Asking for some friendly advice.

dcpeters said:
You might think I'm nuts (as most people do) but, in all seriousness, I have a question for anyone who might offer their opinions. I've been smoking cigars regularly for about five years. I have never been able to smoke without getting the foot completely wet with saliva. I know this isn't the norm for many who smoke cigarettes as people who "take a drag" don't like this, I don't smoke cigarettes, by the way. I was just wondering if anyone has done this, had a problem with this, or if there is any particular way to stop this. I've been worried about it, for some reason, and can't find information online. Asking for some friendly advice.

You're holding it backwards.

You might think I'm nuts (as most people do) but, in all seriousness, I have a question for anyone who might offer their opinions. I've been smoking cigars regularly for about five years. I have never been able to smoke without getting the foot completely wet with saliva. I know this isn't the norm for many who smoke cigarettes as people who "take a drag" don't like this, I don't smoke cigarettes, by the way. I was just wondering if anyone has done this, had a problem with this, or if there is any particular way to stop this. I've been worried about it, for some reason, and can't find information online. Asking for some friendly advice.

You're holding it backwards.
That ifs funny.

Try pursing your lips when you smoke.

Do you hold the cigar in your mouth when you smoke it? By that I mean, do you keep it there and just puff away, or chomp it in your teeth and keep it there.

Cigars should be sipped like wine, not gobbled like a Sabrett's hot dog. Try just using your lips to draw smoke form the cigar, only using  about the first 1/8 inch of the cap. Hold the cigar in your hand between puff.

Hope that helps some.

smokem said:
Do you hold the cigar in your mouth when you smoke it? By that I mean, do you keep it there and just puff away, or chomp it in your teeth and keep it there.

Cigars should be sipped like wine, not gobbled like a Sabrett's hot dog. Try just using your lips to draw smoke form the cigar, only using  about the first 1/8 inch of the cap. Hold the cigar in your hand between puff.

Hope that helps some.

What he said, except for the Sabrett hot dog thing which I had to google to find out what he was talking about. 

Yeah. Must just be me. I try to "purse" my lips so the wetness isn't on the cigar, but after smoking, it always happens. Sometimes, i'll keep it in my mouth for a while, other times I'll hold it and take it out (that's what she said :-/ ) I guess it's just a personal thing, I have tried so many things. Thanks for the responses.

OP, where are you located? If you're in SoCal I'd be happy to meet up sometime and try to diagnose your issue in person. You really have to watch a person smoke to see what, if anything, they're doing wrong.

dcpeters said:
Yeah. Must just be me. I try to "purse" my lips so the wetness isn't on the cigar, but after smoking, it always happens. Sometimes, i'll keep it in my mouth for a while, other times I'll hold it and take it out (that's what she said :-/ ) I guess it's just a personal thing, I have tried so many things. Thanks for the responses.

OK, sometimes it is just you.

Myself, the smoke, if anything, dries my mouth out. My BIL on the other hand, makes the end of a cigar look like a sponge in a matter of a few minutes. He has tried every trick I know to show him, still he's the Saint Bernard of cigar smokers.  

I don't usually slobber up the foot, but when I do, I just wipe it on mmburtch's shirt tail.

What kind of cutter do you use? Try using a punch. One of the things I like about it is that it keeps the head of the cigar dry.

I smoke both ways and don't feel you have a problem. Most of the time, the cigar head is still intact and in good shape, but if I'm doing manual labor or washing a car, it's chomped on and it's not coming out until I have to re-cut the smashed end to get the smoke going again. 

Sounds strange, but try smoking with the cigar pointing straight up at the ceiling, saliva can't go uphill. I've seen guys smoke that way in crowded herfs or crowds. 

smokem said:
. . . he's the Saint Bernard of cigar smokers.  

Some folks are just naturally slobberers.  :laugh:

The only thing I didn't see mentioned yet was smoking speed.  If you're sucking 'em down like Coca Cola, the cigar's going to get wet from the inside AND you're going to drool on it a bit more in response.

~Boar

Man, the combination of the topic name + your screen name = classic......but that could just be my child like mind.

I think it's just a natural reaction, I can't keep a cigar in my mouth because I do the same thing.  What it does do, it causes me to slow down and enjoy the cigar.  I've tried, to do things around the yard/garden/etc with a cigar in my mouth, but I can't do it.  So this is my resolution, try it and see how it goes.

MilesMingusMonk said:
We have standards here Freakburn - keep your wet lips stories to yourself.....  :0
From the man wearing no pants! 

You could try smoking with your ass. It should result in a nice dry cigar. Expect a slight olfactory change to your cigars. 

You're welcome.

PJ