• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Shoutbox Abuse

emoshun

SoCal Herfin'
Just wanted to see if there could be a daily post limit in the shout box set for a certain member.

There is so much "junk posts" by one member that it's muddying the water.

The occasional back and forth is great, one liners and joking but that is what it's for, a simple shout.

Recently I have seen 3-4 line retaliation posts and "woe is me" type posts that should be saved for outside the forum.

Is this just me, or do we as a community have to be held ransom by someones "right to post" however much they please?

edit to edit

emoshun said:
Just wanted to see if there could be a daily post limit in the shout box set for a certain member.

There is so much "junk posts" by one member that it's muddying the water.

The occasional back and forth is great, one liners and joking but that is what it's for, a simple shout.

Recently I have seen 3-4 line retaliation posts and "whoa is me" type posts that should be saved for outside the forum.

Is this just me, or do we as a community have to be held ransom by someones "right to post" however much they please?
OK, I'll tell you what I'll do.  For $300.00, several fine sticks and a poorly sealed used humidor I'll make it stop :whistling:  (Just Kidding) :laugh:

I rarely see the shoutbox. I keep an open tab and just hit view new content. Meh 

Why not PM that member and request he not do that, if it's annoying you. Just my worthless .2cent

LOL (sarcasm inserted). I agree. A little back and forth is ok, but the wineador build should have been a thread and who gives a flying f*ck  that you bought some McNuggets?

DeputyDawg said:
Why not PM that member and request he not do that, if it's annoying you. Just my worthless .2cent
He should have gotten the message by now. This is a friendly nudge before people stop being friendly.

Emoshun, if you don't like the stuff you are posting, then STOP POSTING! LOL...

I do agree though, he needs to understand the difference between annoying the hell out of everyone, and playful banter.

I do not usually go to the shout box page, but did so as a result of this thread. I now see what was meant in the original post.

Apparently he just doesn't get it. It reminds me of that little brother you had that just keeps interrupting you and your friends...

I recind my earlier uninformed post and will go out and smoke a cigar and ponder....

Jonesy said:
LOL (sarcasm inserted). I agree. A little back and forth is ok, but the wineador build should have been a thread and who gives a flying f*ck  that you bought some McNuggets?

Some folks get it, some don't.  

Some guys take the PM's, friendly suggestions and ball busting to heart.  They learn something, and act accordingly.  Some don't.

Some just don't give a s#!t as long as they are being paid attention to.  For them, that's good enough.

On March 28th this is what occurred via PM, in the span of about 2 hours.

Me

Hey man I just wanted to drop you a line and give you some advice, take it or leave it.

When someone on CP who is new becomes overly talkative, posting/replying random things it stirs up the forum.

You have been singled out because instead of taking it in stride, you're coming back at them with a little attitude. While "on the street" that might  be okay, here it's not.

Imagine CP as a gym locker room, guys have been members here a long time, and are protective of their forum as we are a user moderated community.

Please keep this in mind in the future when posting threads, your infused threads were fine and "a-ok". But this is where you're going to be scrutinized on how you respond to some of the senior members calling you out.

Glad to have you on board.

My .02¢

Rowdy Guy

Thanks so much I hear this again and again, I didnt think I got a attitude there if I did whoops, I kinda saw that as just busting balls back thats all. THANKS.

Me

The busting is normal for new guys who are cutting their teeth, that will never change. I hate giving cheesy symbolism, but imagine a beginner martial arts student.

He will get told he's doing it wrong time and time again by his sensei, and even embarrassed in front of the other students. It is up to him to learn the ways of his master (cigars in this case) and to know how to react or not react in certain situations.

This not only gains him respect with current sensei, but also the other members of his group.

Rowdy Guy

I understand, thanks, i just need to stop myself, when I feel comfortable in the group, when i guess im not

Me

It's great that you feel comfortable in the group, and that is what we want. Bottom line is to read more post less in your first 4-6 months.

Asking questions is good, unless they've been asked 18 times already. Adding to threads is great, as long as it's personal experience and not biased opinion.

Even long time cigar smokers must start at the bottom, despite a massive amazing collection.

Put in the time, get this b.s. behind you and you'll be fine!

Peace!

Rowdy Guy

Thanks TTYL

We must be thinking of different members, there was not enough "LOLs" in that message thread to be who I was thinking of.  :rolleyes:

I press the ignore button until I think its time for the STFU button.

I too, PMed the rowdy guy about just simply taking an easy and that I got some ball busting when I first started. I believe it was souldog who PMed me at that time, saying exactly what you said. I choose to take souldogs word and for the most part I think it worked well for me. lol;)

I to have made the steps that everyone above has and got the same result via pm! We all know I suck at typing, grammar, and spelling. So it's even harder for me to give examples and try and help a person from their mistakes via typing in a PM so I took it one step further and spent a bit of time on the phone with said "rowdy guy" a few weeks ago. I really think he wants to be here so I tried to steer him in the right direction but clearly it didn't work. I like sweetrice made similar mistakes when I started and was corrected and moved forward. I just don't get why it is not clear to him. I personally give up and wish him well.

Paul

tomthirtysix said:
 who gives a flying f*ck  that you bought some McNuggets?

Even if I bought them using Brent's name?

Now that's different....had he used an alias, I wouldn't have cared.