• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Skeet shooting advice

Cparker

My dogs don't smoke
A local gunshop is sponsoring a charity skeet tournament Mar. 21. Some guys and I at my local B&M are thinking of going. My problem is that I have not shot skeet in about 30 years. I believe it will be fun, and may develop into a nice way to get some fresh air on a Saturday. Problem is I need to practice up, so need to purchase a good skeet gun.

When I shot as a kid, used a semiautomatic Remington. Jammed alot, and this was frustrating. I am thinking of buying an over/under.

Guessing some BOTL have some good experience with this, so here is my perspective.

While it is clearly a new activity, my experience is that starting cheap is a bad idea. If I like shooting skeet, I will shortly want a better tool and the cheaper shotgun is wasted money. If I end up not shooting after the event, a cheaper tool will not resell as well as a better tool.

I have done some Google "re"- search and Beretta seems to make a nice shotgun. I have a line on a '71 56E that appears affordable. I expect to spend at least $800, but based on expereince, I am concerned that an $800 shotgun will resell for $400, where a $3000 would resell for $2800.  And if I choose to keep shooting, I may find the higher price to be a smarter spend.

Anticipate a 20 GA since I will need a substantial amount of practice before the event.

What should I expect to spend on a nice skeet shotgun ?

What brands ? (Research at this point leads to Browning or Beretta)

Any other good advice ?

Thanks

Cparker

I've always been partial to my Benelli Super Black Eagle, but Doc can probably give you the best advice on this subject.....

You could get a Perazzi SC-1 like I have. You'll never need another gun. A shotgun has to fit. If it doesn't you won't hit shit. Find a dealer who specializes in target shotguns and have him fit you. But it sounds like you're going to spend a lot of money for just one shoot. A mediocre (Browning/Berreta) O/U is going to cost you at least 2K, and to have it fitted, a bunch more. Sporting Clays, Skeet and Trap are not cheap sports. Buy a Berreta sporting clays auto. It comes with spacers that allow you to adjust cast, sort of. You can add an adjustable comb, if you need to. How you're going to do all this by Mar. 21 and get in some practice is beyond me.

Doc

Are you only going to shoot skeet? Does the local shop have 5 stand as an option?  Doc is spot on as usual and if money is an issue I would really consider getting a semi-automatic. I have a Mossberg 930 that will eat any ammo I feed it and hasn't jammed. I've also had good experience with my fathers Browning A5.  The semi's will also eat some of the recoil so I would go with a 12 ga over the 20ga. At the end of the day if you want to do well you are going to need to head out and practice, alot. 

Doc gave you a good advice. I love those model. I personnaly have a Benelli Supernova I bought to shoot skillet and it work just fine ( works great actually). I wanted a super black eagle at first but they are twice as much here than in the US so I settle for a pump action model. I would also go for a 12 ga instead of a 20.

Love the handling, it shoots reallly well and that sucker is easy to clean compared to the Remingtons.

louich said:
Doc gave you a good advice. I love those model. I personnaly have a Benelli Supernova I bought to shoot skillet and it work just fine ( works great actually). I wanted a super black eagle at first but they are twice as much here than in the US so I settle for a pump action model. I would also go for a 12 ga instead of a 20.

Love the handling, it shoots reallly well and that sucker is easy to clean compared to the Remingtons.
Skillet shooting? Never ocured to me to shoot a skillet. Normally I cook my birds in one. Must be a French-Canadian sport. Certainly sounds more exciting than curling.

Doc

I meant skeet.

I cannot even try to explain the skillet thing. Lol

It was a cheap shot Louie, but I couldn't resist.

Doc

I thought Louie was hitting the sauce early today, or something.....

If you buy a decent used gun at a fair price, you should do fine if you need to resell it.  If you are not sure about the sport, I wouldn't recommend spending $2-3k on a gun.  You can get used Berettas and Brownings for $1-2k that would serve you well.  I would suggest getting at least 28" tubes (30" is better).  The trend it towards longer barrels, and reselling a 26" skeet gun would be tough.  I think you are correct about buying more economical shotguns.  The resale may be a bit difficult and costly.  

I have an 391 Beretta auto that is very dependable.  I am considering selling my O/U and just using this for skeet, sporting and trap.  Benelli makes a nice auto as well.  They are both adjustable for fit as Doc stated.  You should have some options around $800-$1000 as well.  I like the new Ethos.  This is closer to the $2k mark.

Thank you all for the advice.

To Doc's point, I do not expect to be a challenger, just hope to get in alotta practice rounds so I can at least hit a few. I enjoyed shooting sports as a kid but could not afford them once a broker college student. Could be a new hobby, though I fear the expense side. Its why I don't play golf: expensive, frustrating and takes too long.

Will look for a nice Beretta semi 12.  Maybe later on the Perazzi.

Cparker

That hobby is not expensive btw. Once you bought you gun all there is to buy are skeets and shells lol

...and vest, reloading equipment, components, chokes (because you can never have enough) a 28 bore and .410, a side by side for those special shoots, money for entry fees, club fees, and association fees etc, etc. Nope not expensive at all.

Doc

Bullchit!!  Get an old Remington 870 with and extended magazine tube.  Load it plum full and when the first "bird" goes down range, fire every round ya got at it!!!  That'll freak em all out and they may ask ya to sit this even out.  Then you'll have plenty of time to enjoy a few drinks and smokes.  You'll save a lot of aggravation and money!!  Problem solved.  Just a thought!!

Floyd T.

PS: I did this once at a hoity toity sportsman's club and happened to be the first one to shoot.  I always shot at a farm and we shot until the bird busted.  Well, apparently, these folks DON'T!!!  I thought it was pretty funny!

I didn't think it could be done, but Floyd has out-hicked me.

Doc

Devil Doc said:
I didn't think it could be done, but Floyd has out-hicked me.

Doc

I just choked on my coffee when I read that! All over my laptop  :laugh:

:sign:  :sign:  :sign:  :sign:  :sign:   That was a true story!

Floyd T.

My wife and I shoot sporting clays a few times a year.  She has a Franchi Renaissance 20 ga and I have an SKB 12 ga O/U.  Both are fine shotguns, but I enjoy shooting 100 through the Franchi more than the SKB.  It's a fun sport, you'll have a blast.