• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

smoking perfectos or torpedos

lherzolite

I got a question about smoking/cutting perfecto or torpedo vitolas. Whenever I smoke one of these, the draw always seems to suck. And when I cut more of the head to get a more favorable draw, the damn thing always seems to unravel. I've tried doing angle cuts, but have the same problems. I prefer a draw where you are able to just sip on the stick and still get lots of smoke. Is a tighter draw just a characteristic of these vitolas where people who prefer them like the tighter draw? Or am I just an inexperienced moron that for what ever reason hasn't figured how to cut these properly yet? Thanks!

The more you cut, the better the draw :D

Usually, I end up cutting a torp/perfecto a couple of times as the draw can tighten as the cigar burns....

With these cigars you can't circumcise the cap, you are cutting through. You will need a sharp double blade cutter IMO. What are you using to cut your seegars wit?

Perfecto draw issues were just discussed recently here:

CLICK ME

Search is your friend. ;) Edit: If you look I'm sure you will find other threads as well.

While that is definitely true, I've never noticed any unusual draw issues with torps or perfectos and I've smoked a lot of both. Lately, I've even taken to using my v-cutter on them and that's about as small a draw hole as you can get. Still, I haven't had any draw issues. Are you having this problem on several brands, or just one?

My suggestion is to use an angled cut, about 1/4 - 1/2 of an inch fron the tip. (I recall one or two good threads, with pics/drawings on here that show a good cut.) If you have recurring problems, you might look at your humidification. It could be that the tobacco in your cigars is too "wet". That will affect the draw on any cigar.

Edit: revised the position of the cut. 1/2 - 3/4 is a bit much.

I apologize for my poor searching skills - My bad. Thank you for the link. From reading through the linked thread it sounds like there shouldn't be any inherent issues, and that it is most likely user error - go figure. Think I just need more experience.

I'm pretty sure the humidity is ok (65% - 68% and other smokes are fine). The only brands I've smoked with these vitolas are Tarano Signature torps and Gurkha Centurians. The Gurkhas have been a lot more problematic, but I'll keep trying/experimenting. Thank you for your responses!

- Phil

As previously stated, cutting at an angle, above the cap line can work.
You can also gently bite the mouth end a few times. I.e., Bite turn the cigar, gently bite, turn the cigar, etc.
You don't want to crack the wrapper. (just make sure you moisten the wrapper). This works very well a lot of the time.

edit to add: I would draw test, after cutting, and before lighting. The biting techinique applies here.
If the draw doesn't improve, dry box, or put in a 60-65 rh box for a week or three, and try again. The cut end will dry a little, and open up if you're lucky. I'm usually lucky.

I like to use a v-cut on my cigars (just personal preference) including my perfectos/torpedos. Usually I make a first cut, check the draw and maybe a second depending on the draw. I can't remember having any problems with the wrapper this way.... hope this helps :thumbs: .

don't be so hard on yourself brother. We are all here to learn and love this sport.
My buddy got me a v cutter for my birthday and I recently too have addopted it for torpedos and have been having great results. I have found as long as you don't cut beyond the triple cap you are usually good. With the v or vag cut as I like to call it. You cut the right depth every time.

I apologize for my poor searching skills - My bad. Thank you for the link. From reading through the linked thread it sounds like there shouldn't be any inherent issues, and that it is most likely user error - go figure. Think I just need more experience.

I'm pretty sure the humidity is ok (65% - 68% and other smokes are fine). The only brands I've smoked with these vitolas are Tarano Signature torps and Gurkha Centurians. The Gurkhas have been a lot more problematic, but I'll keep trying/experimenting. Thank you for your responses!

- Phil

No need to apologize. Just a friendly tip! I enjoy Rocky Patel 1992 Perfectos immensely. It seems they are rolled tighter than other sizes/shapes of cigars I have experienced. I find that a short clip of the foot is all I usually need to open up the draw from the beginning on them. :thumbs:

I've tried storing them at 70% and it does not seem to loosen the draw at all without clipping the foot.

My suggestion is to use an angled cut, about 1/2 - 3/4 of an inch fron the tip. (I recall one or two good threads, with pics/drawings on here that show a good cut.) If you have recurring problems, you might look at your humidification. It could be that the tobacco in your cigars is too "wet". That will affect the draw on any cigar.

The figurado is one of my favorites and I always use the angled cut. I go with a minimum cut at first and re-cut if needed. I also use a poker to fix draw problems as in all things YMMV.

Keep in mind that the idea behind a Torp or a Pyramid is to concentrate the smoke into a small area of the palette. If you cut too much off, you just turned it into a parejo and have defeated the purpose and wasted your money.

Doc.

Keep in mind that the idea behind a Torp or a Pyramid is to concentrate the smoke into a small area of the palette. If you cut too much off, you just turned it into a parejo and have defeated the purpose and wasted your money.

Doc.

Thanks Doc. I did not know this. I'll have to be less enthusiastic with the foot clipping from now on.