• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

smoking room advice

luckyred23

I'm in the process of writing up the plans for finishing my basement. I want to put a 'smoking room' down there. However the space that I have for this room doesn't have a window. I want to have a place to smoke indoors, but I don't want the whole house to smell of smoke.

Would a regular bathroom type vent work? I know I need to put a heat/air duct in there, but should I just omit the return air duct? Are there any other options or anything else that I need to know?

Hey Lucky,

I don't think a bathroom vent fan would be anywhere near big enough.

I hate to say it but you should probably consider one of those commercial smoke removal type units. I don't know much about them but I've seen then in restaurants and when my buddy had his cigar shop, he had a LARGE one for the whole shop. Unfortunately, those are BIG $$$.$$

I have a finished basement and I have two of those $200.00 air purifiers from Home Depot down there and they help (not much but it's better than nothing) BUT the whole basement stinks for a few days after a night of card playing and drinking.

Another thing that I find annoying about those cheapo air purifiers with a filter is that when you fire them up, they initially stink up the room, due to the fact that the charchol filter element still has the old smoke odor in it from the last time it was used.

Just a warning too, even though you want to seal off a section of the basement for a smoking room, the odor will most likely seep upstairs anyway.

Good luck, be sure to let us know how you make out.

Lawson and other shop supply companies sell 'smoking rooms' that you could modify to fit your needs.

where might I find a list of Lawson's goods? Also, I searched for a 'smoke shop supply' store, and a few other similar searches, but alas...no dice. Anyone know of any such stores online where I can find supplies for a 'smoke room' in my basement?

Here is my suggestion. Since your basement is unfurnished, you still have the ability to do what you like.
1. Place the exhaust vents on the opposite side from the air supply. If you aren't going to run a small Air duct down there, then just put it opposite corner from the door. This way the natural ventilation will bring fresh air across the room. This will help keep the smell down.
2. The exhaust fans should have the capacity to excange the air in the room in 15 minutes. So if your room is 8x10x12, you are at 960 ft3. You will need 1 or more fans that can operate up to 65 cfm. I have a large computer fan that runs off DC that moves 35 cfm quietly; so 2 will get the job done with a little extra room for any back pressure on the exhaust tube.
3. I would use flexible dryer tubing for my exaust line out of the house. Then on the outside, connect the tubing to a dryer exhaust port that has the one way flapper. This will help keep cold air from rushing in.
4. I would lay out the room so the smokers will usually be in the same 1/4 of the room as the exhaust fans. So if you usually play cards, put the card table over there. Or if you are putting a bar down there, put the bar over there.
5. Put a Csokna Smoker Cloaker down there.
6. I would buy a simple timer switch and use that to run the fans instead of a light switch. I don't know the models out there, but should be able to get one for $20-25. This way you could set it for 30 minutes when you leave the room.
7. A ceiling fan is nice.
8. So is dimable tracklighting.
9. Ioninc are cleaners are cool. But don't run them while you smoking. They will dirty much faster. Just let them run when you are not smoking.
10. I wouldn't put a hepafilter down there until you absolutely have to. All of this stuff can be had for cheaper than a profesional smoker filter or hepafilter. Plus those filters have to be changed often which takes money from your cigar budget!
So that's my nickel tour.

Emo

luckyred23 said:
where might I find a list of Lawson's goods? Also, I searched for a 'smoke shop supply' store, and a few other similar searches, but alas...no dice. Anyone know of any such stores online where I can find supplies for a 'smoke room' in my basement?
Home Depot for your tubing, electrical switch, and exhaust vent and possibly your fan. Radio Shack for computer fans, Ionic cleaner, and a DC converter. Most online retailes sell Csonka Smokers Cloakers.

ConsumerReportMag: 10/2003
"Ionic Breez proved unimpressive"..... rated poor on smoke

RoomAir Cleaners they recommend:
Friedrich$500
Whirlpool$270

lawsonproducts.com... but it doesn't look like they carry them any more, grainger doesn't either, just the $800 air filters.

Gunpowder said:

Friedrich$500
Whirlpool$270
does it say which model of Whirlpool was tested? I'm taking it for granted that these were tested well for smoke?
Thanks for your help with this.

luckyred23 said:
Gunpowder said:

Friedrich$500
Whirlpool$270
does it say which model of Whirlpool was tested? I'm taking it for granted that these were tested well for smoke?
Thanks for your help with this.
FWIW, a smoke filter can be added later. You may wanna consider the list I made and if you don't need the smoke filter, use that money towards a nice cabinat humidor.

Whirlpool: AP45030H0: Rated Very good on high and good on low for smoke
Also:
Sears rated the same:
Kenmore 83202, 83200, and Similiar Whirlpool AP51030H0 at $350.