• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

So I'm thinking about trying this pipe thing.........

Charley

The Coolest Guy You Know
I've been reading through the pinned posts here to get an idea of what I'm getting myself into. So my big question is where can I get a starter pipe and how much should I invest in one. Also, can someone recommend a tobacco to try first?

Thanks

I think you'll really like pipes!

I recommend starting with an American Made Corn Cob - 
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/brands/1553/missouri-meerschaum/?type=Pipes

They're only a few bucks each, and they're excellent.  I have some nice higher end pipes, and I still find myself going to the corn cobs every so often, especially if I'm trying new tobacco.

Personally, I've been smoking a lot of aromatics.  I like the Sutliff line -
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/brands/1502/sutliff-bulk-aromatic-blends/?type=Pipe+Tobacco

Some of their tobaccos taste and smell just like the description.

Thanks Rod, I'm gonna order one and then yourgonna have to walk me through the process. Looks like a lot off work......

It is a lot of work. Good luck on your journey.

Doc

It is a lot of work but its worth it.   I enjoy taking a break from cigars and switching to pipes.   You will be very frustrated at first, especially if you don't just sip your cigars.   Its a slow process and you aren't going to be producing a ton of smoke, that was the hardest part for me to grasp is that fine line between needing to relight and it still rolling good. 

"SPLASH"

That was the sound of me jumping in! Just ordered some stuff. Let the madness begin.......

Got my stuff today. As soon as I can take a break I'm gonna attempt to light my first bowl.

Well I smoked my first bowl and it was interesting. It burned ok (I'm assuming). It did require several relights but I read where that is to be expected. The one thing I did notice was that there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of flavor in the smoke. Is this normal? Maybe I'm just accustomed to smoking cigars.

Hey Charley, from one noob to another, it's tricky to get the technique down.  I still struggle every time, especially with packing and lighting.  What blend did you get?  Was it an aromatic or non-aromatic blend?  In my experience the aromatic blends smell really good but don't taste nearly as good as they smell.  Also, cigars and pipe tobacco are 2 different beasts.  You're likely not going to find a pipe tobacco that tastes exactly like a cigar.

I haven't picked up the pipe in a while but I still enjoy it from time to time.  Probably next time I'm out smoking I'll pack along my pipe gear.

Try the Docle Molce pipe tobacco. Not only does it smell great, it also tastes great. 

The flavors are subtle, yet definitely there.  If you want something that tastes closer to a cigar, then try some non-aromatics like English blends, or tobacco with latakia. I personally prefer black cavendish.  Cigars are going to produce a ton more smoke, so there is some adjusting to get used to.  Once you master how to smoke a pipe, it's a lot of fun, and you will in fact taste the different flavors.