• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Source for pipt tobacco tins?

bilder

Looking to find a company that sells the round tins pipe tobacco comes in. The tins Dunhill and the like comes in.

Been looking, but cannot find exactly the kind needed. Anyone know a place that sells this style of tin?

I'm finding that I like keeping my tobacco in tins. Especially for short term storage. But I would like to eventually just use all tins. I prefer the 3.5 sized tins over the 50g tins myself.

Because I can see myself pretty much sticking with buying most of my tobacco in bulk, I was planning on ordering some tins here very soon. I own a sign company, so I plan on duplicating the labels on the tinned versions of what ever blend I happen to be storing. Or in the case of Peter Stokkebies blend's, where there are no tinned versions.... I'll just keep it simple stupid and make the label very plain and simple. Anyways.... that's beside the point.

So, I just googled "storage tins" and there were many companies to pick from that sold the round tins.... there are square ones also.

So, although I don't have a company that I've already used and could recommend, I'm sure there are some there that would be very good to order from.

I just need to figure out what I need to do for long term storage, if there are any special steps I need to take as far as the tins are concerned.

Dave - Commercial tobacco tins are vacuum sealed and just a plain old metal tin without a seal and without being vacuum sealed would probably not be a good idea for long term storage. The tobacco will dry out and the tin would likely rust from the inside out in a short time.

If you're going to buy in bulk and store the tobacco long term, there's no better vessel than a glass jar with a good sealing lid. If you want to store in tins, you should buy tins.

I'm sorry, bilder, I don't know of a place to get the tins. You could try to contact one of the companies that uses the kind of tins you'd like and ask them. Someone like Cornell & Diehl may be able to tell you where to source them even though they use the other style.

I save mine and re-use them for RYO tobacco and mailing gifts and carrying bulk pipe tobacco, etc. The packrat in me, I guess.

But like Alan says, they are less than ideal for long term storage. You could keep them in a climate controlled environment. Even so, Mason jars are just better for aging pipe tobacco.

I save mine and re-use them for RYO tobacco and mailing gifts and carrying bulk pipe tobacco, etc. The packrat in me, I guess.

But like Alan says, they are less than ideal for long term storage. You could keep them in a climate controlled environment. Even so, Mason jars are just better for aging pipe tobacco.

I've got about 5 or 6 I keep around just for that purpose. They do make great travel vessels for bulk tobacco.

Using the tins for holding a couple ounces of bulk is exactly what I am looking for.

I have seen the ones online and they look like they might work in a pinch, but it would be nice to have the kind you buy tobacco in. The shop where I work part time is thinking of getting some tins to use for customers who want something a little more durable than a baggie for their bulk blends. Most folks buy a couple ounces at a time and come in each week for more or to try another blend.

Linky ---> Vacuum seal tins for tobacco

Here is one link I've found so far. I'm not sure how you "vacuum seal" the contents of the tin, but I would imagine, that as long as the tin has a "seal" of some sort, then It would act just like a mason jar.

Anyway, I'll do a little more research, I would still like to store most of my tobacco in tins.

Well, after further research and reading a few articles, that included some of G.L. Pease's research studies, I retract my previous statements concerning aging tobacco in tins.

Here is another linky from Pipes and Cigars ---> Aging Tobacco

After reading some other online articles, it would seem that this is probably the best and least expensive method to store tobacco for long terms.

As for short term storage though, I'm sure tins that include a vacuum seal ring on the lid would work just fine. So I think I'll just save the tins for the tobacco that I plan on smoking in a week or two weeks and use the mason jars for my longer storage.

Well, after further research and reading a few articles, that included some of G.L. Pease's research studies, I retract my previous statements concerning aging tobacco in tins.

After reading some other online articles, it would seem that this is probably the best and least expensive method to store tobacco for long terms.

As for short term storage though, I'm sure tins that include a vacuum seal ring on the lid would work just fine. So I think I'll just save the tins for the tobacco that I plan on smoking in a week or two weeks and use the mason jars for my longer storage.
That's a good article, but in my experience the heating of the jars is unnecessary. I've opened several jars that have sat for as little as a couple of months that vacuum seal on their own as the aging process takes place. I have also spoken with several true "old timers" who find it unnecessary to vacuum seal the jars.

Of course there are those who like to do it, so it's a personal choice. It certainly doesn't hurt anything as long as you don't heat the jars too much. It's one more step of insurance to some, one more step that's not needed to others.

That's a good article, but in my experience the heating of the jars is unnecessary. I've opened several jars that have sat for as little as a couple of months that vacuum seal on their own as the aging process takes place. I have also spoken with several true "old timers" who find it unnecessary to vacuum seal the jars.

Of course there are those who like to do it, so it's a personal choice. It certainly doesn't hurt anything as long as you don't heat the jars too much. It's one more step of insurance to some, one more step that's not needed to others.

thanks Alan. I'll take your word for it, this saves a step and I'm all about minimal work! :) :)

Yeah, I typically warm my jars in the microwave just a bit before stuffing. I worry about stoving. I'd never put a jar in a boiling water bath...

My process...

1) Prepare tobacco -- get it out and be ready to measure. Weigh jar.

2) Microwave glass part of jar for 30-45 seconds depending on size of jar. I want the jar warm to the touch, but not hot.

3) Stuff tobacco in jar, get weight of tobacco.

4) Place small amount of water on underside of lid, all the way around to help with seal.

5) Final press down of tobacco so none is over edge, put lid on, tighten ring.

6) Label jar.

Where does everyone get their mason jars from?
During canning season, one can find them at grocery and hardware stores. My local hardware carries them year round. Of course, I'm assuming you don't live in the flatlands. :laugh:

Doc

I get mine at Menards or at the local grocery. Both places have them year round. I think Wal-Mart has them all the time, too.

I'll have to checkout Walmart because the grocery and hardware store doesn't have any. Actually now that I think of it... I have a buddy that bought a bunch of mason jars for his bar. I'll ask him the next time I see him.

I strongly suggest buying wide mouth jars.

The half pint wide mouth Kerr jars fit 4 oz of flake or 100 g of ribbon cut easily.

The smaller jelly jars (also wide mouth) will fit 2 oz of flake easily (I've gotten 75 g in there with some styles of flakes) or 50 g of ribbon cut.

If you want to go huge, there are full pint wide mouth Kerr jars which will go 8 oz of flake easily, up to 10 oz, and 200 g of ribbon cut.