• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Spent grain

bluue13

Just curious,

What do you fellow home brewers do with your spent grain? I recently moved and don't really have a good compost setup currently, which is what I used to do. I also don't brew frequently enough to set up any kind of partnership with a farm or anything like that, so I'm currently sending mine off to the municipal landfill.

Interested to hear your responses!

I was going to also suggest making dog cookies with it. I’ve also heard of people using it in their own baking like in breads and other stuff, maybe there are recipes?

I was going to also suggest making dog cookies with it. I’ve also heard of people using it in their own baking like in breads and other stuff, maybe there are recipes?
I used mine in bread once. Mine wasn't very good, but had promise I thought.

I used mine in bread once. Mine wasn't very good, but had promise I thought.
Maybe it was a bad recipe? I have no idea since I’ve never done it. Doesn’t hurt to try I guess. Maybe some yummy pretzels to go with your beer??

Great suggestions. I might be able to do the dog biscuits over baking for myself. 15 lbs of spent grain would most likely yield a lot of bread and other items and I don't know if I could justify that quantity of baked goods every time I brewed! :D

The landfill is the perfect place for them...that's what I always did with mine.

I like to reuse whenever possible, but indeed sometimes it is more of a hassle, and nothing wrong with throwing away materials that will decompose.