• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

SQL, Mainframe, something else?

After 10 years of IT that ends up in some form of end user support, I've finally grown completely tired of it. I've been eyeing the Database or the Mainframe side of things. Columbus still has a lot of mainframes that aren't going anywhere, anytime soon. I also know that the world of data is pretty much here to stay. Is anyone out there involved in either of these fields, and can offer advice?

Thanks for your input.

I manage an IT dept for a large healthcare organization. We converted from mainframe around 10 or so years ago (before I started). If you are looking to remain in the tech side of things, then go get some certs. I recommend CCNA (networking), MCSE (system admin). There are tons of IT certs you can go for, really depends on what you want to do. IT is very lucrative if you choose the right sector.

Rod, would you mind me asking what EMR you guys are running? Curious what folks are using in CA. Lots of Epic here in MN.

*EDIT: sorry for the small hijack...

I believe that's where my trepidation lies. I was a Notes/Domino Admin for about 5 years. Had the bright idea of going to Desktop to spread out again, aaaaand I've been stuck there. I DO need to get my MCSE to get back into the swing of things and get away from this lunatic users. ;)

I prefer the networking side of IT since it keeps me away from users for the most part. Depends on the company, though, whether it's separated like that. Cisco or Juniper certifications is where it's at for me and this field.

I'm currently trying to break out of client support as well. Been working a helpdesk where we are Tiers 1 and 2 and I'm just tired of the same day to day issues that users get them selves into. Certs are where it's at, as others mentioned. With that said; I need to get my butt in gear and get a few, as I'm trying to migrate over to a SCCM and/or Server admin role.

Lots of companies, of all different sizes, use SQL and you also have the option of contracting. To me, being able to contract is a very nice plus that provides flexibility and a bit of a fall back. Now, I have no idea if there Mainframe contractors; if there, well my points are then void.

Rod, would you mind me asking what EMR you guys are running? Curious what folks are using in CA. Lots of Epic here in MN.

*EDIT: sorry for the small hijack...

Currently Meditech, however we are going live with Cerner in August 2013. As you can imagine, work is very busy right now with implementation.

I know it came down to either Epic or Cerner, however they chose Cerner in the end.

Well Rod covered what I would say (wich is not that much considering I'm a buisness analyst )

My wife works in the IT dept. for Saks Inc. She does SQL. She is going to write her thoughts later tonight. I tried to get her to do it this morning after she told me her opinion on your question.