• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Start smokin a pipe again or sell all my stuff?

CigarStone

For once, knowledge is making me poor!
Haven't been on CP much for a few years and that is shame on me! So many good people and so much knowledge!

I have about 40 pipes, a cooler full of tobacco, and a box of accessories (cleaners, tools, ashtrays, etc.). I don't know if I should take up the habit again or sell everything but a couple special pipes and use the money to buy some cigars? Decisions---decisions!

I wouldn't know how to go about selling the pipes let alone the tobacco and maybe that will answer the entire question:)

Talk to me...............

If you're not 100% sure, don't do anything. In the meantime, if the pipes need cleaning and sprucing up, do that. Pipe Tobacco, if properly stored, lasts a LONG time.

If you decide to just sell out, they'll be tip top to bring the most money. It makes a huge difference.

Steve Fallon (pipestud on ebay) is probably the best venue if you don't mind paying a commision. He gets a ton of hits.
If you have more desireable pipes, listing them yourself maybe better, but title, description, and great photos are a must, including inside the bowl!

If you just want to thin the herd, keep your best smokers.

If you have children, see if they want a keepsake. My son loves a couple of my pipes. I don't know why, but know that he would really want them.

Thanks!

I just inventoried the pipes and at least I have an idea what I've got:)

I'll mirror what MadMonk advised you. Sit on it for a bit and decide if you're gonna jump back in to an enjoyable habit, or you can place it all on consignment (I'd get things cleaned, polished, and inventoried as far as the pipes are concerned, and then inventory your tin's of tobacco prior to contacting Steve Fallon).

Here's Steve' web page' and email addy for your review:

http://stores.ebay.com/PIPESTUDS-CONSIGNMENT-PIPE-SHOP

http://www.pipestud.com/

Pipestud@aol.com

Hope all works out for you...:D

http://stores.ebay.com/PIPESTUDS-CONSIGNMENT-PIPE-SHOP

Thanks again. I know I will keep a handful of pipes and a bit of tobacco but I don't need 40 pipes:)

I think rather than working to get maximum value I would just rather help a brother out here and let someone take the entire lot for whatever they think is fair.

Anyone know a source to help me identify exactly what I have in the way of pipes?

If you're looking to start from scratch on what you have, I've used this site to determine the makers of some of the pipes that I have picked up: http://www.pipephil.eu/logos/en/index-en.html and that helps me price them out on pipedia.com or ebay. Forty is a huge number of pipes! I've got 22 and that is quite a few to display/store much less to find time to smoke. I have four that I smoke with any real regularity, the rest are just decoration in my smoking room.

Great to see you on here, bro. I hope all is well!

Thanks Stu! Being here is like a breath of fresh air. I guess I did the same thing with pipes as I did with cigars when the fever hit me:)

I've decided that I am going to keep a handful of pipes and sell everything else. Most of the tobacco I have has been sampled or is in mason jars (bought in bulk) so I'm not sure what to do with that. Like I said before, I am not too interested in worrying about top dollar, I'd feel better hooking someone up who wants to start a collection or resell the stuff.

Hey noob, how about you post an intro before bombarding us with questions! :D

Good to see you around, Jeff! Hope all is well!

When I saw that there was a reply from you Tom, I wondered if it would be just to say hello or to bust my balls. I should have known better:D

I will be in Hartford for Chuck's wedding (the guy who's boat we hung out on) in a couple weeks.

When I saw that there was a reply from you Tom, I wondered if it would be just to say hello or to bust my balls. I should have known better:D

I will be in Hartford for Chuck's wedding (the guy who's boat we hung out on) in a couple weeks.

I can't *JUST* say hello! Congrats to Chuck!

You may post some of what you are selling here, I don't know if you qualify for sales since you have been absent. With 3600 posts maybe a chat with Rod would help?

If you need to sell some, go for it. However, I would stay in the pipe smoking hobby if possible. I'm finding myself smoking pipes more lately than cigars, probably since I can smoke 15 min of tobacco and not feel like I'm wasting an entire cigar. :)

Thanks Rod!

When I started this thread I had no intention of using CP to sell the stuff and I am definitely going to keep a few pipes and smoke them from time to time! I was told once that I may be obsessive compulsive but that's just plain BS! Just because I started pipe smoking and 4 months later had 40 pipes and a cooler full of tobacco simply means I am committed to what I do:p

I was contacted by a brother to work out a trade for pipes, tobacco, and accessories for cigars and I liked the idea but it didn't pan out. If anyone is interested I would be happy to chat about it.