• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Starting cigar band table project...

Bu11dog

I'm going to turn a grill/tailgate type table into a cigar table. Problem is that the charcoal grill heats up quite a bit not to mention when it is in direct sunlight the table gets pretty hot. Is there any kind of high temp spray paint/laquer type material that can be applied once the bands are glued down? I guess that also leads to the next question of what type of glue should I use to glue them down due to the potential heat?

Good thread. I'm about stocked enough now to revisit my project, as well. I'm still deciding on whether I should do the bar top downstairs or a Telecaster body (which was my original intention). I am going to clear coat the bar top, if that's what I choose to band-up. I've had some suggestions, but I want a thick and glass-smooth top, not contoured to the bands, even if subtly.

Google Decoupage. That's the technical term for what you're doing. I don't know if it'll help you with the heat issue, though.

Doc

You'll want some sort of UV blocking coating to prevent the fading.

Thanks guys, good ideas. The UV coating would definitely help since it will be used outside and then stored away each time. The heat issue is the tough one. I may make one side of the table cigar bands and the side closest to the heat source use stickers from knife companies/makers. That would solve the heat issue anyway.